• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Oil prices would go higher regardless of supply, OPEC chief says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

key2_altfire

OPEC has been very generous in the past with low oil prices… after all, they have a captive audience. No competition and no reason to give us good prices. Even $150 a barrel is probably still a good price considering the energy content. We're just used to oil at under $40 a barrel… so now that the price goes up to a "reasonable" level, we complain.

Anyway, not to sound like a commie. ;-) Hopefully this will help stimulate alternative energy uses in the States… let the other countries fight over the oil. Another option is to open more U.S. territory for oil drilling, but that promises to be a political battle!

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
The lower value of our U.S. dollar has a lot to do with the current price at the pump. Oil will be around for a long time! They're not going to kill the cash cow! (U.S. included!)

car2back

If you figure at $4 a gallon, there's about $76 of gasoline (19 gallons) refined from a barrel (42 gallons) of crude oil.

so if it's over $100 a bbl, and if you figure refining costs, taxes, etc That means a gallon of crude oil is worth more than a gallon of unleaded gasoline. If gas demand was the cause of rising oil prices, wouldn't that be the other way around? :confused:

Last edited:
This is all just another reminder that I need to go put more air in the bicycle tires.

Last edited:

K4DHR

key2_altfire said:
OPEC has been very generous in the past with low oil prices… after all, they have a captive audience. No competition and no reason to give us good prices. Even $150 a barrel is probably still a good price considering the energy content. We're just used to oil at under $40 a barrel… so now that the price goes up to a "reasonable" level, we complain.

Anyway, not to sound like a commie. ;-) Hopefully this will help stimulate alternative energy uses in the States… let the other countries fight over the oil. Another option is to open more U.S. territory for oil drilling, but that promises to be a political battle!
$150...hell, $115 isn't REASONABLE.

Oil was at $65 a barrel this time last year. This is NOT supply and demand driving up the price of oil, but over-speculation because of people running to commodities because of the weaknesses in other investments right now. Worldwide demand has not doubled over the past 36-48 months, much less the past 12.

Somewhere in the $70 range would be reasonable given demand, everything else on top of that are speculators playing the market and the weak dollar, plain and simple.

The Dems need to stop being so beholden to environmental/anti-capitalist interests. Those screaming the loudest in opposition to expanded drilling are a VERY small minority of the population. Most of what they'd consider to be their core voting base are the ones who can least afford the higher price of gas, but they've become so entrenched with the global warming morons that they refuse to do anything about it. I say let those people make all the noise they want to (after all, it is their right) but stop allowing them to drive our economy into the crapper through over-reaching regulations and prohibitions that make us dependent on the whims of a bunch of 3rd rate dictators.

bpckty1

If it weren't for NIMBY, we could have offshore drilling on both ocean coasts (Cubans will be drilling off FL soon, anyways, and we can't do a thing, legally, about it) a new field in AK would be pumping oil southward, and new, larger, modern, not refurbished, refineries would be in operation.

Prices may not be lowered, but they would at least stabilize.

bpckty1

K4DHR wrote:
" they've become so entrenched with the global warming morons that they refuse to do anything about it"

We need to send firefighters to the sun and cool it off. After all, the sun is the cause of global warming and cooling the sun will stop global warming. However, global cooling might become a problem.

bpckty1

There are many factors that are causing the price of oil to go up. We need to stop the free market for oil. After all, with a limited supply of a commodity, more customers than years ago, the oil will go to the highest bidder. So, if we turn off the pipelines to Russia, China, and India, WE should have plenty of oil. Who cares about the looming war if this happens? We would have enough oil to be boiled in. Free market be (put your own explative here)!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is why finding inexpensive alternative forms of energy should be pursued. Wind energy is nice, but inefficient and uses too much land. Ditto for solar power, at this time. Fuel cells are nice, but still a bit too heavy and inefficient, but improvements are happening. Ethanol should use sugar cane and beets instead of corn. They produce a higher yield of sugar, and using them would put more corn back into the food chain. Hydroelectric power is very efficient, but there has to be a "proper" river and dam system for it to work well. And, until we get over the 3 Mile Island and the China Syndrome, nuculear power is still in the future for most of the country.

And, don't forget, most of our non-domestic oil comes from Mexico and Canada.

My 3 Cents worth. (Inflation has happened).
;^>

Last edited:

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
GreatLakes said:
The lower value of our U.S. dollar has a lot to do with the current price at the pump. Oil will be around for a long time! They're not going to kill the cash cow! (U.S. included!)

The fuel prices are on average par for long-term history. We are due for a big inflationary swing, but wages have not caught up with prices yet.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Price of oil

My dad has a saying .. of which a cleaner version would read something like: "... let the oil producers eat their oil". What is worth more, a barrel or rice or a barrel of oil? One difference is that we have not collaborated with ALL other countries which grow rice in order to "fix" the price.

My thinking is that oil is too cheap; just look at the number of cars and huge SUVs out on the road! When the quantity of traffic falls, then I think prices will be closer to reality. One big issue with this though is shipping costs. I do not like (independent) truck drivers unable to make a living. But there is room for improvement in that industry as well. Right now we have trucks that go pick up a load at location A, drive it to location B. Then they drive the empty truck back to location A to get another load. I'd like to see things organized so that empty truck trips could be minimized.

Has anyone ever seen the movie: "Who Killed The Electric Car?"? This is an automobile that actually existed, at least here in California. The manufacturer ended up "recalling" ALL of these ever produced and sent them to a scrap metal company to be crushed. The problem wasn't the fact that they ran on electricity (and I am not talking hybrids either, as they still burn gas); it was the fact they didn't need oil changes or brake jobs, or tons of other maintenance which current autos require. These things would probably put 10000s out of work BUT have no emissions and require no fuel. Now just set yourself up a solar powered recharging station and you won't have to pay the power company either.

bpckty1

Speaking of electric cars, last night Leno said that he would drive his antique electric car to the studio today, in honor of Earth Day. He said he wasn't sure how long it would take him.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
gmclam said:
My dad has a saying .. of which a cleaner version would read something like: "... let the oil producers eat their oil". What is worth more, a barrel or rice or a barrel of oil? One difference is that we have not collaborated with ALL other countries which grow rice in order to "fix" the price.

My thinking is that oil is too cheap; just look at the number of cars and huge SUVs out on the road! When the quantity of traffic falls, then I think prices will be closer to reality. One big issue with this though is shipping costs. I do not like (independent) truck drivers unable to make a living. But there is room for improvement in that industry as well. Right now we have trucks that go pick up a load at location A, drive it to location B. Then they drive the empty truck back to location A to get another load. I'd like to see things organized so that empty truck trips could be minimized.

Has anyone ever seen the movie: "Who Killed The Electric Car?"? This is an automobile that actually existed, at least here in California. The manufacturer ended up "recalling" ALL of these ever produced and sent them to a scrap metal company to be crushed. The problem wasn't the fact that they ran on electricity (and I am not talking hybrids either, as they still burn gas); it was the fact they didn't need oil changes or brake jobs, or tons of other maintenance which current autos require. These things would probably put 10000s out of work BUT have no emissions and require no fuel. Now just set yourself up a solar powered recharging station and you won't have to pay the power company either.

wrong. The EV-1 did need brake jobs and regular maintinence. Dont let the clever commies use that movie to make you think that someone built a "magic car" that can run on bong-water and sunshine. The EV-1 was an exercise to evaluate the feasibility of selling an electric car. The EV-1 was always leased, thus always belonged to GM. (Perennial greenie fav Toyota does the same with their electric Rav4 and other limited scope electric vehicles) GM would be under obligation to provide dealer support and parts for this limited batch of cars if they were sold to the public. Providing the spares and training would cost millions of dolllars as they were never intended to last as long as a normal automobile either. The EV-1 was leased to compare in price to a leased or financed $24000 car at the time. In reality, each EV-1 cost GM well over $100,000 to build and sell. They were sold at a substantial loss because federal grants covered much of this cost as "research" The EV-1 customer was a guniea pig and they knew it. They call themselves "early adopters" but whatever. By the time the EV-1 would have been sold to the public there were far better, greener, and safer alternatives from Toyota and Honda. In all, it was a terrible car, but a successfull experiment. GM did what was best for the company, their customers, and the enviorment and turned the silly EV-1 into beercans.:cool:

I am a ruthless GM-basher, but I will not question their motive for crushing the EV-1. Especially when people have been so misled to think that it was a big-oil, big-three conspiracy scenario. It makes me mad to think that people are so munipulatable. I also think that if it was toyota that was building and crushing EV-1s then no one would raise an eyebrow and that this is a subtle example of the self-hating american theme that is present in "artsy" and enviromental circles these days.

It may have helped GM's case to have a "follow-on" product like a hybred of their own, but they have enough trouble staying in business to worry about high-tech things like overhead camshafts or hybred drive.:wink:

XTS3000

Remember Oil is traded with the US dollar. Seeing as the US dollar has lost lots of its value recently, it takes more USD to buy a barrel.

Remember to fill your tires with proper air pressure. This simple trick gets me 3-4 more miles per gallon. Get rid of all that crap in the trunk too.

viking396

key2_altfire said:

Profit margin is unreal, they were "generous" because at almost any price they laugh all the way to the bank and the price doesn't need to be that high. Don’t for one second think that their generosity was actual “generosity. The dollar is being weakened and the Chinese hold it's ultimate demise in their hands, all they have to do is squeeze and yet, we keep handing.... well, that’s a different subject. Opec isn’t the largest provider of crude to the US, look up to the North for that to a country called Canada. The US and it’s media continually lay this at Opec’s feet but when was the last time you heard if Canada was going to try and affect some change in pricing? Not only do we provide for their defense but we pay through the nose for crude. We can sit here and lament on how the price is fine but we forget that people with lower incomes have not seen an increase in their pay to help with the over 120% increase in gasoline cost the past 5 years. Has Mexico, the third largest supplier of crude to the US offered to lower their huge profit margin? No.

Oil companies are awash in cash, I mean profits so nutty had it been Microsoft the law suits to break MS up would have happened already. Take a look at how Opec members live, cars made out of silver, houses so huge they rival the size of small towns. I'm a capitalist but ridiculous is ridiculous. I do agree we could drill in US territory, Norway drills very successfully so if a country the size of California (give or take) can do it why the heck can't we?

What do we do, hey, lets use Corn!! Takes up more resources than it gives back by a large margin, lets bet the bank on that! Yeah... no lets buy Hybrids who cares if the batteries end up polluting landfills, Al Gore hasn't complained about that yet so we're good to go! Agh I could go on and on, let’s just drill here, and put some of best resources at work coming up with a better plan than Corn or Hybrids.. Heck even Hydrogen dumps carbon into the atmosphere when they remove it to create Hydrogen but that’s ignored because it’s done at the plant, not in the car but nothing’s mentioned about that because it’s not part of the agenda yet, it’s water out the exhaust so it must be ok…

EJB

viking396 said:
Profit margin is unreal, they were "generous" because at almost any price they laugh all the way to the bank and the price doesn't need to be that high. Don’t for one second think that their generosity was actual “generosity. The dollar is being weakened and the Chinese hold it's ultimate demise in their hands, all they have to do is squeeze and yet, we keep handing.... well, that’s a different subject. Opec isn’t the largest provider of crude to the US, look up to the North for that to a country called Canada. The US and it’s media continually lay this at Opec’s feet but when was the last time you heard if Canada was going to try and affect some change in pricing? Not only do we provide for their defense but we pay through the nose for crude. We can sit here and lament on how the price is fine but we forget that people with lower incomes have not seen an increase in their pay to help with the over 120% increase in gasoline cost the past 5 years. Has Mexico, the third largest supplier of crude to the US offered to lower their huge profit margin? No.

Oil companies are awash in cash, I mean profits so nutty had it been Microsoft the law suits to break MS up would have happened already. Take a look at how Opec members live, cars made out of silver, houses so huge they rival the size of small towns. I'm a capitalist but ridiculous is ridiculous. I do agree we could drill in US territory, Norway drills very successfully so if a country the size of California (give or take) can do it why the heck can't we?

What do we do, hey, lets use Corn!! Takes up more resources than it gives back by a large margin, lets bet the bank on that! Yeah... no lets buy Hybrids who cares if the batteries end up polluting landfills, Al Gore hasn't complained about that yet so we're good to go! Agh I could go on and on, let’s just drill here, and put some of best resources at work coming up with a better plan than Corn or Hybrids.. Heck even Hydrogen dumps carbon into the atmosphere when they remove it to create Hydrogen but that’s ignored because it’s done at the plant, not in the car but nothing’s mentioned about that because it’s not part of the agenda yet, it’s water out the exhaust so it must be ok…

Would you know if the U.S HAS to buy oil from OPEC or can it, as you say, take more oil from Canada?
If Canada were to cut the U.S. a deal would OPEC nations freak out, I mean can CITGO, owned by your great friend Hugo buy its gas from Canada or does have to buy it from OPEC nations. Does Exxon buy it from us or from OPEC?

Did any of you ever think that many of these OPEC nations are kinda unstable & that probably helps drive up the price of oil?
Nigeria, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, etc.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
EJB said:
Would you know if the U.S HAS to buy oil from OPEC or can it, as you say, take more oil from Canada?
If Canada were to cut the U.S. a deal would OPEC nations freak out, I mean can CITGO, owned by your great friend Hugo buy its gas from Canada or does have to buy it from OPEC nations. Does Exxon buy it from us or from OPEC?

Did any of you ever think that many of these OPEC nations are kinda unstable & that probably helps drive up the price of oil?
Nigeria, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, etc.
Opec is a cartel. Trading outside the cartel would result in supply being cut for those trading outside of it by all cartel members.

The instability was always one of the major ways that prices would be kept low. The US could always lean on various exporting nations to keep the cartel's interests from deviating from those of the US. As the worldwide primary oil consumer, we could also always pump enough of our own oil to leave OPEC standing with millions of barrels unsold oil. We have plenty of oil, but we now dont have much of a means to pump enough here to affect the balance in Opec's deciisons, especially with China taking any extra that is left because we are pumping/producing our own.

EJB

I hear ya DanTx.
Wanted to learn about OPEC, On a wiki site it mentioned that the U.S. was a member at one time & that Canada has applied to OPEC.
One thing for sure, we need some sort of fuel, made by us (N. America) and consumed by us.
But; in this time of free trade (see recent conference in Norleans) you (Does Canada currently import more than it produces?) will continue to be buying fuel from others.

Status
Not open for further replies.