Okaloosa County Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ki4wbn

Possibly, but EMS has been using (and still have and ues) the Motorola MCS2000 dual head radios for several years. It's possible they were used at the hospitals or something for comms before they went over to SLERS, since a few of them have power supplies with them as well.

SCPD

QRT
THE SOUTH END VHF 154.860 REPEATER IS TO BELIEVED RO BE DOWN. I have contacted okaloosa county EOC as well as the Dispatch and now just waiting for some progress about this matter.

codblackops2

Premium Subscriber
Ok I got a couple questions here. My understanding was that FHP was on SLERS. I heard a ham operator in crestview talking that he still listens to FHP up there on there old freqs and he doesnt have a digital scanner. I was just wondering how true this is. Also I have acquired a 996XT scanner and got it pretty much programed for the area but I havent really noticed much on it other then just Eglin, Hulbert and Duke Field. On a good night I will pick up Pcola and Panama City but thats about it. I thought I seen somewhere that someone said that times you can pick up South Okaloosa fire traffic. Was just wondering how true that was. Thanks for any info

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
Sorry codblackops2 you have some wrong information. The FHP use to be on VHF 25 years or so. They moved to the SLERS it is encrypted and 800 mhz. No way to listen to the FHP by a leagal way. You would have to get a 800 mhz radio and know several codes. Not very likley he is listening to them unless he has access to the EOC Emergency Operations Center or a FHP officer himself. SouthOkaloosa Fire is also on SLERS they do tone out only on VHF. Voice traffic is on the SLERS. Just wait when the band opens up. I have heard from Texas to North Carolina on VHF and UHF.

codblackops2

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. Thats what I thought that you couldnt pick them up at all and I heard a couple other hams who are scanner hobbyist too try to tell him that but he wouldnt listen. He thinks he knows everything plus a box of rocks cause he just got his ham ticket and now he knows more then anyone else out there.

ki4wbn

^That is correct. They do still maintain their old VHF licenses, but I am not really sure why, since there is no longer any VHF infrastructure (I possess some of it).

I can say that Okaloosa EOC doesn't have access to listen to FHP, so the only way he would be able to listen is through an FHP officer. They have capability to talk to them using other means on the SLERS system though, but not directly on the patrol channels.

And, FHP is using 800MHz, Provoice (digital EDACS), and Encryption. Their radios are locked down pretty tight. They don't let contractors touch their encryption keys, and are one of the few state agencies that don't. We could reprogram the radios and do everything else with them, but when it came to the radios being used, the communications officer at FHP had to rekey the encryption into the radio.

As for the Eglin system, there is lots of stuff happening there, but you will not be able to listen to public safety, as it is all encrypted as well. But you can listen to everything else, like the rangers, the range tests, towers, and anything else until your heart's content.

codblackops2

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed alot on Eglin which is really intresting. Especailly in the evening when the maintence groups seem to talk alot. A guy I work with use to be a maintence personnel on eglin and he said everything good happens when they come in at night. He is retired from the air force as a maintence guy. The one thing I have noticed though with this 996XT I am all new to the digital stuff so I just renewed my membership here and downloaded the files and uploaded them but it seems like there are times that the audio seems I guess you could say distored. I dont know really how to explain what it sounds like but it doesnt seem to be all the time. I guess the best way to explain it sounds like over modulation but i dont know if its just the system or if theres something with the scanner.

ki4wbn

It is that way with P25. Sometimes you get any little background noise in there or wind, and it'll completely distort the audio. The newer radios correct this issue by having a mic in the back that can hear this background noise, and through processing in the radio, take it out.

codblackops2

Premium Subscriber
Alright. Now that makes more sense. I have heard the digital system seems to pick up everything around it. But glad its not the scanner

SCPD

QRT
South vhf fire/ems repeater info

Just letting everyone know that the SOUTH VHF FIRE/EMS REPEATER is back up and running. The repeater has been down since around 2/20/2014. As a reminder even though Okaloosa's primary communication method is (SLERS) Okaloosa still does use SOUTH VHF on occasion.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
What you may be hearing as distortion is the Security Forces folks. They are encrypted. You can hear some of the conversation but other parts are encrypted. I live between the two bases in Wright so I get a good signal from both.

SCPD

QRT
Talking wise I been hearing two way traffic for hours now. There must be issues with SLERS today.

codblackops2

Premium Subscriber
Yea thats qhat I was wondering. I had my ht with me today and didnt hear any chatter

Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
They were on south fire vhf 154.860. It seems there back on SLERS now because I haven't heard anything in a few hours. NOTE: I was listening to the frequency 154.860 on my Motorola HT750 VHF RADIO.

codblackops2

Premium Subscriber
Ok so now I see what channel they was using now. They was on one of the tac freqs. I was just hearing them on 152.0750

Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.