Oklahoma County Sheriff radio issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
What is going on with these radios? They keep dead-keying on several channels. It's been going on for several months now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhatsnOKC

Premium Subscriber
New components on an original system

The SO rebuilt part of their radio system with new equipment in the last year to replace very aged stuff and they're still fine tuning it. Getting the various equipment talking to each other consistently has been a challenge. Sometimes it has a problem and sends a signal and keys up the transmitters. It was built in house years ago so you can't just call an outside technician who isn't familiar with the system to come fix it easily.

Last edited:

radiopirate

Premium Subscriber
They got hit by lightning at one of the remote sites after their radio tech retired. The guy they got doing radios now has no clue how the uwave system works (what do you expect from someone who is in IT) and has uwave radios stepping on eachothers because they are out of sync. Then hosed the setting on another uwave radio remotely.

Some of them think they are going to replace the system with 3 sites that going to cost almost $1m.. But that's anothet story of them trying to get donated space on towers for a local radios business that is trying to sale space on that radios system they are trying get donated space..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
They are now using only using the south tower repeater, 460.550, along with the OMARS TG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HD405rider

Sheriff is dropping OMACS and going to the okc radio system. I heard a radio tech that works at the city talk about it the other day at lunch.

radiobison

Ocso v omacs

He is correct - OCSO has dumped the OMACS deal. They are migrating to the Oklahoma City radio system as soon as some contracts are in place.

The existing UHF system was "hacked to pieces" by a group of incompetent idiots. They are all gone now, some of the old guys have been brought back to put the pieces back together.

Things are already improved with many other repairs required to clean up the mess. All of the links between the OCSO UHF system and the OMACS system will go away shortly.

OCSO has committed to supporting the UHF system for a couple of years, but plans to phase it out by the end of 2020.

wireless64

OMG Omacs seems to be a joke link when it comes to monitoring somtimes it does NOT hear the full conversation, then dispatch is having to have the deputies repeat again or just call in which defeats the purpose of the link. Omacs wont go away quick enough. Im glad that the system is being REPAIRED :) its sounding alot Better.

HD405rider

54. Discussion and possible action to approve an agreement between the City of Oklahoma City and the Sheriff's Office to license and maintain (155) Portable 800MHz Radios at $13.67 per radio per month and (133) Mobile 800MHz Radios at $19.67 per radio per month. Additionally, there is the installation of (131) Mobile Radios at $203.00 per radio. This will enable the Sheriff's Office to utilize the Oklahoma City 800MHz radio system and infrastructure, improving department communication and interoperability. Requisition No. 11900325 in the amount of $83,412.52 to the City of Oklahoma City pending encumbrance of funds. Requested by P.D. Taylor, Oklahoma County Sheriff, and approved as to form and legality by Aaron Etherington, Assistant District Attorney. (Document Received)

55. Discussion and possible action to approve an agreement between the City of Oklahoma City and the Sheriff's Office for the lease of (149) Portable 800MHz Radios and (131) Mobile 800MHz Radios, all at lease rate of $15 per radio, per month, with a damage/loss exposure cost not to exceed $500 per radio. Requisition No. 11900322 in the amount of $191,080.00 to the City of Oklahoma City pending encumbrance of funds. Requested by P.D. Taylor, Oklahoma County Sheriff, and approved as to form and legality by Aaron Etherington, Assistant District Attorney. (Document Received)

This was approved by BOC

xerb1962

Premium Subscriber
This will no doubt ruffle some feathers....I don't live in OK county.

Regardless, why in the hell are there so many deputies? What is there left in the county that is not in corporate city limits? Three square (sarcasm) miles?

Okay maybe forty square miles?

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
This will no doubt ruffle some feathers....I don't live in OK county.

Regardless, why in the hell are there so many deputies? What is there left in the county that is not in corporate city limits? Three square (sarcasm) miles?

Okay maybe forty square miles?

Kind of curious my self what areas they cover. I also would like to see them in some newer cars with better equipment. Same for Cleveland County SO where I live.

radiobison

Why the need for deputies

As required by Oklahoma state statutes, only a sheriff or deputy sheriff can serve civil process in the state of Oklahoma. Likewise only a sheriff or deputy sheriff can execute an order of eviction in the state of Oklahoma.

On any given day, there are thousands of civil papers waiting to be served. If I recall correctly, they process over four hundred evictions per month. In addition to those responsibilities sheriff's deputies strive to serve the outstanding criminal warrants waiting for service. On any given day, there are in excess of twenty thousand (20,000) warrants sitting in the system, waiting for somebody to step and go find some ******* that raped a kid.

Due to the serious manpower constraints, they don't even focus on warrants for misdemeanor offenses. They primarily chase wanted felons around the county, the state of Oklahoma and even well across state lines.

Back at home patrol deputies secure such areas as Deer Creek, where there is no local police department available to keep those citizens safe. When not chasing calls, patrol deputies transport mental patients to various facilities so they can receive help. All that is done in conjunction with a contract through the Oklahoma health department.

Lastly (not really, I could go on for hours) special units such the OCSO TAC team provide direct support for the numerous small police departments operating inside the county borders. Those small agencies do not have the resources required to hire and train such personel, much less have them on standy 24 hour a day.

There are many, many other things the sheriffs office does to serve the public. Taking fingerprints for CCW applications is just one more of many.

So dont get the idea they are bloated and over grown - the truth is quite the opposite.

And just for the record, I am not an employee of the Oklahoma County Sheriffs Office. I was (for 35 years) but I am now quite retired. The guys I left behind have their hands full, I dont envy them in the least.

M.T.V.

The State Constitution gives specific powers to the Sheriff of each county and as such they are the top law enforcement officer in the County.

Status
Not open for further replies.