Oklahoma Multi-Agency Communications System

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5TWB

plaws

Premium Subscriber
When the article came out about having to furlough troopers for 23 days to meet the budget, the DPS chief also mentioned the fact that communications upgrades have been totally set aside during the budget crunch.

So instead of updating and extending OKWIN, which to be sure, is not a state-owned system, at least not entirely, they are building a second system?

There is a word for that but it's no longer considered polite to say (and with good reason).

n5bew1

Is this a wish system? I don't see any FCC licenses listed. It makes me wonder just who all is going to use this system.

n5bew1

I can hear a data channel on 856.7875 now and some p-25 traffic when scanning all the systems freqs in conventional mode.

SCPD

QRT
The state doesn't own it nor are they maintaining it. So don't worry they aren't building some new system and laying off troopers all at the same time. A local radio shop owns the system and is leading talk groups. OUHSC is already on it and several more will join it in the foreseeable future.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
The state doesn't own it nor are they maintaining it. So don't worry they aren't building some new system and laying off troopers all at the same time. A local radio shop owns the system and is leading talk groups. OUHSC is already on it and several more will join it in the foreseeable future.

That makes more sense, but why would the state pay a vendor money (who will, rightfully, pass the cost of building and maintaining the system on to the customer plus a profit) when the state is already part of a system? The main OU campus is already on OKWIN, after all.

ETA: Welp, licenses are to OUHSCPD. Not directly the state but pretty close ...

Last edited:

N5TWB

That makes more sense, but why would the state pay a vendor money (who will, rightfully, pass the cost of building and maintaining the system on to the customer plus a profit) when the state is already part of a system? The main OU campus is already on OKWIN, after all.

ETA: Welp, licenses are to OUHSCPD. Not directly the state but pretty close ...

Another case of bureaucratic prestidigitation...watch what I'm doing in this hand...pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

n5bew1

FCC data is now in for the Tecumseh site. The Citizen Potawatomi (sp)Tribe will be the big user of this site. I have heard rumors that some tribes are wanting to develop some wider area radio systems of their own.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
FCC data is now in for the Tecumseh site. The Citizen Potawatomi (sp)Tribe will be the big user of this site. I have heard rumors that some tribes are wanting to develop some wider area radio systems of their own.

That's the ITEMC folks (Inter-Tribal Emergency Management Coalition HOME). Last I heard they were looking at a Tait system. Explains the Tecumseh site (Citizen Potawatomi's EM and PD folks are big in ITEMC) but what's the connection to OU HSC?

Maybe these aren't the same system?

SCPD

QRT
I've heard about the tribes, and a few counties being interested in this new system. No connection to OUHSC just that they are on the same system.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
I wonder who will be primarily in control.

I've heard that several smaller agencies on OKWIN don't like some of the restrictions the governing body put on users / groups.

I'll have to try to clarify exactly what they don't like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plaws

Premium Subscriber
I wonder who will be primarily in control.

I've heard that several smaller agencies on OKWIN don't like some of the restrictions the governing body put on users / groups.

Wah.

I'm sure whatever agreement was signed has "outs" for the cities that contributed infrastructure (Edmond, Norman, Shawnee, Tulsa, DPS, one other?) to OKWIN. The rest either rent radios + airtime or just airtime and must have similar agreements with similar "outs". If they don't like it, they can always leave and start their own system.

SCPD

QRT
Nichols Hills is the other stake holder on the OKWIN system. The primary control for the new system should be within the company that owns it Stolz Telecom.

Bastrop1

Or maybe there is lots of speculation going on with out all the facts. Tecumseh is an OKWIN site. OUHSC is on OKWIN maybe because OU is on it also? Conspiracy theorist put your torches down and reach for the facts. Also, I'm pretty sure Nichols Hills isn't a stake holder on OKWIN they are just users on it.

n5bew1

Or maybe there is lots of speculation going on with out all the facts. Tecumseh is an OKWIN site. OUHSC is on OKWIN maybe because OU is on it also? Conspiracy theorist put your torches down and reach for the facts. Also, I'm pretty sure Nichols Hills isn't a stake holder on OKWIN they are just users on it.

The FCC license info for this systems Tecumseh site is different than the OKWIN site. Different location and tower. It seems OUHSC was only on OKWIN temporarily as the system listed here seems to have traffic again in OKC.

Status
Not open for further replies.