• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Old but new CB'r Upper Mojave Desert

Status
Not open for further replies.

swen_out_west

So I figured out the problem with this brand new radio. The Mic is actually jacked. I have a Road Devil in the mail already that I purchased because of the reviews of weak audio but didn't expect that I would have to tear it apart and redo the connections. At least I can say 20 years as an Electronic Technician in the Navy working on Radars/Comm Gear had personal benefits, lol.

Not sure if I should send it back or just fix it for use as a spare, really don't want the hassle of sending it back. It is disheartening that it's brand new and having issues, but at least it's minor and should lessen my chances for more being wrong, yeah right, lol.

SaberOne

I'm new to the forum but not new to radios. Been studying for my Tech License but my CB is still useful and occasionally fun. I live near a truck stop, so there is enough traffic to keep me active on my base station. I have a decent set-up that reaches out and the IMAX 2000 antenna makes a difference.

SnowWalker

S O W, I am a SSB up here in Canada who has had a few chats with CBers in Death Valley, Oregon and a fellow some where in NM. The skip is a usually unpredictable for the most part; however, if you are willing to sit by your radio for a few hours, there will usually be someone in your area who searches for someone to chat with.

I travel with my CB in my vehicle when I travel and do have a few decent conversations with truckers. I have found however that most truckers are quite rude to 4 wheelers -if they bother to reply-.

I live on top of a mountain in Rossland, BC and have a unobstructed signal to the south & east. I am using a mobile Galaxy DX 959 SSB as a base with a 22' Wilson Ringo antenna. I hang on ch 19 or LSB 36 -38. SNOWALKER is the handle.

Last edited:

SaberOne

Morning SnowWalker,
I'm SaberOne here in the southwest part of Arizona. I'm setting a new base station on a watered down Galaxy 2517 with a iMAX 200 24' stick. Still studying for my tech license and hope to go 'General' in the first quater of '17. Due to medical I'm home most of the time and i have a close shot of the freeway and truck stops in my area. I'm in the transition of a new vehicle so I'm not focused on a new mobile quite yet.

SaberOne

Morning SnowWalker,
I'm SaberOne here in the southwest part of Arizona. I'm setting a new base station on a watered down Galaxy 2517 with a iMAX 200 24' stick. Still studying for my tech license and hope to go 'General' in the first quater of '17. Due to medical I'm home most of the time and i have a close shot of the freeway and truck stops in my area. I'm in the transition of a new vehicle so I'm not focused on a new mobile quite yet.

SaberOne

Technology is a wonderful thing, it's great that it is making the world smaller, but the comradeship and bonds you made with your neighbor's is fading away because of it. Excuse that philosophical statement.

It reminds me of a thing I read years ago how something as simple as automatic doors are diminishing human interaction. Which once I moved out of the city and into rural areas I actually saw the point. So much friendlier feeling when you see someone reaching for the door and saying 'Here let me get that for you. How are you doing today.'

Just yesterday I opened a door for a gal at Starbucks as she was leaving and she did thank me. Anyway, I can really relate to your post in that the world has changed and people are a lot different and less connected to one another. The irony of social media has made people more connected in one way, but it isn't the same. Younger folks text message each other so much that they really can't carry on a face-to-face conversation. They seem less carinmg about others than when I grew up in the 60-70's.

SnowWalker

I can remember my OTR trucking days when most eighteen wheelers would not think it beneath us to answer and chat with a 4 wheeler or a home bound station. Now days, too many truckers think it's beneath their dignity to have a CB chat with anyone other than another trucker. Mind you, the crap that one hears on the CB channels these days leaves one wondering where decency towards others has gone.

SaberOne

As a former driver for about a year, I would talk to anyone if I had the time. As far as the drivers' language, I agree that by and large, it was pretty bad. Part of it was a 'monkey-see-monkey-do' mentality, right down to the phony hillbilly' accents. I would meet up with some of these guys at the truck stops for lunch, and their accents went away, and in reality, they were quite smart. Seemingly, they wanted so bad to be part of the stereotypical Drivers culture, even if it made them appear like complete idiots.

Ever since then I've had respect for those guys because the job is very demanding physically, and trying to stay on top of the logbook BS, and working around corrupt DOT officers, and A-hole dispatchers was more than I could handle.

Last edited:

TheSpaceMann

I can remember my OTR trucking days when most eighteen wheelers would not think it beneath us to answer and chat with a 4 wheeler or a home bound station. Now days, too many truckers think it's beneath their dignity to have a CB chat with anyone other than another trucker. Mind you, the crap that one hears on the CB channels these days leaves one wondering where decency towards others has gone.
When I'm in the road, I often just pretend to be a trucker looking for a traffic report! I usually have no trouble making contacts that way!! ;)

Token

Swen, it depends a bit on where you are in the valley. There is activity in that area of the high desert, a couple guys on 38 LSB most nights, 16 LSB sometimes, and sometimes 22 AM. But, often folks are just listening to see if the band opens up. Throw out a call in the evening on 38 LSB and you might be surprised.

Ham radio is a bit more active in that area. 28.420 USB (actually the same guys as on 38 LSB), 146.420, 145.425. 439.420, a couple of 900 MHz freqs and 23 cm also, and that does not count the repeaters on 146.640, 147.00, 147.21, etc.

T!

SnowWalker

There is another factor as to why many OTR drivers stay off their CBs. There are many more eighteen wheelers on the highways today than there was in my hayday as a trucker and they don't want to sit for hours listening to garbage. Secondly, a generation ago the young CBers seemed to have a lot more respect for other CBers. Why the big change is a mystery to me. I can jump from channel to channel and hear nothing but CB ops broadcasting sirens, cattle calls, dog barking and all else. SSB, for the most part, is still fairly clean broadcasting. When the skip is good, great conversations can be found. TheCBer just has to be willing to do a little channel scanning.

Ravenkeeper

So I got my old Cobra 29 shipped to me after all these years and just can't pick up anything, I got some stuff on CH6 when I was in Ridgecrest and on 19 but it was garbled. At first I thought it was because it's set up as a quick setup and has a short magnetic mount antenna, it was literally line of sight anyways (if I couldn't see you, I usually couldn't talk to you.), or could it be there's just no traffic up here? Going through all adjustments it looks like somebody used it and screwed up the settings and transmitted anyways or it's just old and so far out of tune that until I find an O'Scope to use and check it out, it's pretty much a paper weight now.

So I went hog wild and bought a Bearcat 980 SSB for $110 plus a Wilson 1000. Being in the desert the SSB might be the only way to talk to anyone. I see there's a member on this Forum that is out of Mojave, I would love to try reaching him some day. He is only 30 miles away and I am up above him, being the desert and if it refracts around Red Rock canyon he should be within range. If he has SSB capabilities. If not I'll just have to get his handle and maybe we can talk next time I go that way. Plus, curious if there is a lot more traffic that way anyways. I might just go hang out at the Truck Stop in Tehachipi some night just to justify buying this thing, lol.

So did I just waste $200 or is it still used enough to justify it? Of course I did just discover that the first thing I should do is get a better Mic for it, another $35.I was thinking of getting my HAM license, but seeing that I am going to by driving cross country a lot in the next couple of years, I just wanted to get a CB first.

Anyways, hope it was worth it.

Hello SOW: Tell me when you want to hook up, we can use 38 or 39 LSB.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

SOW/Jay, Did you guys ever get connected? I'm in "your neck of the woods," as it were, and mobile during the bottom half of the 10pm and 6am hours, going to/from work. Usually run with my CB wide open on 19. Still have to find my spring for my antenna and tune it up. I have a neighbor (across the street) named "Jay," that I was in the same squadron with, when we retired. Been trying to hit him up, when I see him off in his Jeep. He's usually on 22. He and I both live in CC.

There is another factor as to why many OTR drivers stay off their CBs. There are many more eighteen wheelers on the highways today than there was in my hayday as a trucker and they don't want to sit for hours listening to garbage. Secondly, a generation ago the young CBers seemed to have a lot more respect for other CBers. Why the big change is a mystery to me. I can jump from channel to channel and hear nothing but CB ops broadcasting sirens, cattle calls, dog barking and all else. SSB, for the most part, is still fairly clean broadcasting. When the skip is good, great conversations can be found. TheCBer just has to be willing to do a little channel scanning.

SnowWalker, that's the radio BS that I had to deal with, growing up, in San Diego. The "locals" were always hogging up 19, especially "Mad Dog." Been 25 years since I was on the radio down there, and still remember the names of the ones that I would have loved to "spike" their antenna. There were a few "CB Police" out there, that tried to keep people like "Mad Dog" under control.

The first time I was stationed at Edwards AFB, I use to sit on top of one of the hills and talk via skip to Ghostrider, in San Diego. Would piss my friends, back home, off. They couldn't stand listening to the two of us talk and they couldn't talk to me.

SaberOne

Wow! I very seldom participate in this form that much, but after reading your post, I just had to chime in. I grew up in the San Diego area, and I remember when CB was king. In fact, I remember Mad Dog! Small world after all. Currently, I still have a new in the box Texas-350, but I let my Ranger go awhile back. I would love to install a nice clean converted 10m into my car, but I just haven't found a decent antenna that would provide the performance I expect without killing the conservative looks of my new Chevy SS. That's the main driving factor for Ham radio. I mean, you can have a very Low-Pro antenna and still reach out. Can't really do that with a CB unless you're okay with a redneck looking antenna on a luxury car.

swen_out_west

Once in a while we have been on at the same time, I've learned a lot in the last 11 months.

Easier to talk 500 miles away on SSB than it is to talk to Jay 80 miles as the crow flies with the El Paso's in the path. I have talked to a few guys down by Edwards though albeit a weak signal.

Right now my main antenna is down since I am using the 40 foot mast for my GMRS repeater. But yes, I learned that 22 is more for the local traffic even though up here that channel is either hot or cold. There's a local CB bully that tends to drive people away. But there's a lot of traffic out there if you know where to look.

Have learned a lot of your truckers still monitor but will not talk to non drivers.

Token

Once in a while we have been on at the same time, I've learned a lot in the last 11 months.

Easier to talk 500 miles away on SSB than it is to talk to Jay 80 miles as the crow flies with the El Paso's in the path. I have talked to a few guys down by Edwards though albeit a weak signal.

Right now my main antenna is down since I am using the 40 foot mast for my GMRS repeater. But yes, I learned that 22 is more for the local traffic even though up here that channel is either hot or cold. There's a local CB bully that tends to drive people away. But there's a lot of traffic out there if you know where to look.

Have learned a lot of your truckers still monitor but will not talk to non drivers.

What channel are you on most of the time SOW?

T!

Ravenkeeper

I don't faithfully have it on everyday. Either 38 LSB or I hang off to the side of 28 and listen to the skip. Two local guys pretty much hang out on 28.

DesertDog on the side.

DesertDog?

I've been going by "Desert Raven," since the first time I got stationed at Edwards, 1996. While I was in NM, working on EF-111s, I was going by "California Kid," a friend's callsign, from San Diego. One of the locals in NM, gave me that one, even after arguing with him until I was "blue in the face" because a friend of mine was using it back home.

"Ravenkeeper" is only my screen name.

swen_out_west

DesertDog?

And it's not Dawg. If you are up my way in the Upper Mojave and see a truck driving down the high line being chased by 3 Desert Dogs, that's me. lol.

Alpha Desert Dog on the side. lol.

The other choice in handles was desert llama, that didn't have such a cool ring to it. Besides I'm down to only one llama and 'Joe Llama the Desert Llama' has a copyright on the name.

BTW I think I mentioned that Mojave Jay and the Boys from Edwards hang out on 38 LSB alot. They would be more than happy to give you a shout out on Am I am sure.

I'll be hanging on that side of the El Paso's sometime in Dec-Feb. We'll have to set up a channel I'll be monitoring and see if you can hear me from Garlock, especially when I am up a few hundred feet over the desert floor.

Last edited:

Ravenkeeper

And it's not Dawg. If you are up my way in the Upper Mojave and see a truck driving down the high line being chased by 3 Desert Dogs, that's me. lol.

Alpha Desert Dog on the side. lol.

The other choice in handles was desert llama, that didn't have such a cool ring to it. Besides I'm down to only one llama and 'Joe Llama the Desert Llama' has a copyright on the name.

BTW I think I mentioned that Mojave Jay and the Boys from Edwards hang out on 38 LSB alot. They would be more than happy to give you a shout out on Am I am sure.

I'll be hanging on that side of the El Paso's sometime in Dec-Feb. We'll have to set up a channel I'll be monitoring and see if you can hear me from Garlock, especially when I am up a few hundred feet over the desert floor.

Didn't call out for no "dawg," around 10am, on 38L, on my way home.

Coworker of mine has a llama on his property in UT, "Henry," has his own pasture out in the back 40 of all that acreage. There is at least one llama down by the Antelope Valley Mall, in Palmdale, on some "back road."

Would like to meet up with Mojave Jay and the gang. When do they usually hang out on 38 LSB?

swen_out_west

Didn't call out for no "dawg," around 10am, on 38L, on my way home.

Coworker of mine has a llama on his property in UT, "Henry," has his own pasture out in the back 40 of all that acreage. There is at least one llama down by the Antelope Valley Mall, in Palmdale, on some "back road."

Would like to meet up with Mojave Jay and the gang. When do they usually hang out on 38 LSB?

I lowered my antenna for ease of takedown/setup now that I am mobile for the prospecting season. Even at 30' plus my Imax 2000 I barely was able to talk to them and they are operators with some pretty decent setups. I actually had a guy up in Oregon pass traffic for Jay 90 miles away once, lol. That's just the way it works, lol. Easier to talk to Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Michigan like I've been doing for the last hour than it is to talk to you guys one desert down.

As crazy as the skip is right now, someone from down there probably is on right now.

999 (Upper Mojave or Death Valley). If I am into the same contacts as them I'll switch to Death Valley so as not to get confused with the same area. 38 LSB has been a train wreck / bee hive since I turned it on at 10:30, I actually shifted up one to 39 in order to make it easier, even though that channel is still pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.