Old Icom R1 (unblocked) for giveaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevecolumbus

I have an old Icom R1 scanner with cont coverage. It hasn't been turned on for years; I can see battery leakage/damage at the battery cover switch. It has been stored upright, however.

The only problem I ever had with it...I took it to a battery shop to have the internal battery replaced, instead of the professional radio shop where I bought it. Somehow they messed up the internal charging switch, so that the a/c adaptor was charging the internal battery AND the battery pack at the same time. Making for longer charging times. None of that matters at this point, as I am sure the internal battery is rotted beyond recognition and perhaps has corroded other things.

Anyone in the Columbus, OH area can have this thing if they want a free headache. I will not mess with it. I'm pretty sure I have the original owner's manual. Don't want to ship it because I'm not really allowed to ship something with possible leaking chemicals.

stevecolumbus

I would take it but you cannot ship, Oh well would love to bring back to life..
KJ4DGE
Well...I really want someone to have it if they want it. I could always answer, "No" at the post office when they ask, "Does the package contain any dangerous chemicals or batteries?" Because that's exactly what they ask. Nothing has leaked out of it in 20 years. I'll try to figure something out.

bpittman

If you can send it Fedex, I should be able to put the charge on my account and arrange pickup from your front porch, etc. No questions asked! Can you message me? Bill

dkf435

The R1 and other SAT series radios have 3 chrome colored contacts on the bottom. pluss a third brass contact. If the brass contact is not pushed in when charging from the top the internal battery is charged. There is a special adapter made where it has a contact the makes contact with the brass contact and lets you drop into a quick charger to charge the internal battery. If a battery is place on the bottom of the radio it will push the brass contact in and will allow charging of the external battery from the top dc plug or drop in charger. Have several R1s and just use a BP90 6AA battery case and have removed all the internal batteries. The board in the bottom of the radio is the charge control board and does the regulation and switching of power. When you take the raio apart be careful not to loose the spring on the battery latch.

David

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Any items for sale or trade or giveaway are to be posted in the classifieds.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.