Old Scanner Repair ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

millerlitefan

Does anybody know of a reliable scanner repair person for an old Bearcat 4 crystal scanner.
I realize it doesn't have any value. But it had been working for my local analog VHF fire department until recently. I guess I just want to get it fixed more for nostalgia purposes than anything else. Thanks in advance for any help.

N8IAA

Does anybody know of a reliable scanner repair person for an old Bearcat 4 crystal scanner.
I realize it doesn't have any value. But it had been working for my local analog VHF fire department until recently. I guess I just want to get it fixed more for nostalgia purposes than anything else. Thanks in advance for any help.

Are you using another receiver/receivers to monitor the same frequencies to verify that the crystal scanner doesn't work anymore? Depending on how long you've had the 4 channel scanner, the crystals may have gone bad.
Just a thought.
Larry

RadioTowerMaster

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
+1 for division200 Their vintage crystal scanner repairs start at $30.00 so you really must be into the nostalgia thing, I strongly suggest you call them at 585-768-8151 first with your particular make & model number to see if they even have the parts It may require, Gerry is a self made man, not easy to get along with but possesses genius when it comes to communications so maintain respect above all, sorta like Pete at Stuart Electronics. good luck.

www.gcomradio.com

Last edited:

oracavon

I've used Gerry at G&G several times. I've found him to be both friendly and reliable. A couple of times I've called him and chatted on the phone with him about working on old crystal scanners and some of the modifications I was doing as a hobby. I found him to be very patient, helpful and knowledgeable.

millerlitefan

N8IAA

Yes. I have another portable that I use and it works fine. The Bearcat comes on OK and then audio fades away within 15 minutes of turning it on.

reconrider8

yip ill second G&G. i sent a scanner off to him and as usual when he got it it was working just fine ughhhhhh. so instead of charging me the full $50 to look at it he only charged me $25

Status
Not open for further replies.