• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2FB071

Just getting back to 11 meter after being off the air since early 2000.

As a teen in the '90s, Galaxy was all the rage with their "illegal" radios, that were spreading like wild fire. The Galaxy Saturns and 88s along with the Mirage 44s were the most common. Just about every truck stop CB shop had those "10 Meter" radios for sale. But the ones I recall sounding the best on-air were the Galaxy Plutos.

I've done many Google searches (just to beat some to the punch here), and noticed it seems mostly Spanish speaking, and Italian speaking videos of the radios. There are a handful of UK videos, but most of them are in Latin America.

Any Galaxy fans out here? And if so, what radios did you like the most?

Also, in the '90s I spent my savings as a steak house line cook to buy a Galaxy III tube base amp. Allegedly I was putting out 350 watts on SSB. I used it with a Superstar 3900. I sold both when at 19 I had a speeding ticket to pay, and was in college. I just started on the internet, and decided I would get the money selling that combo. I miss both in retrospect.

I can't find anything on the web at all about the Galaxy III, of course the smart phone is a big problem with search engines now.

Anyone know more about the Galaxy III tube amp? Was it officially made by Galaxy? Or was it a total bootleg like many amps in those days were.

"Help me Obi Wan Kanobi , you're Galaxy dork's only hope".

KNY2ADQ

The Galaxy line of radios was/is made by Ranger, they did not manufacture the amplifier even though it had the same logo.

73 de 2FB837

2FB071

Thought so, thanks

The Galaxy line of radios was/is made by Ranger, they did not manufacture the amplifier even though it had the same logo.

73 de 2FB837

Makes sense. Seeing some of the stuff Ranger is selling of late. I wondered if it was official. But I recall the instructions were as plain as possible. Hence it seemed shady. Oh to be 16 again. lol Or not.

shortride

Premium Subscriber
I still have my Galaxy DX88 HL that I bought new in 1994. It's still all original and has never been repaired or modified. It would be my favorite mobile radio if it had variable power.

Top left in the picture under the Diamond meter.

2FB071

I still have my Galaxy DX88 HL that I bought new in 1994. It's still all original and has never been repaired or modified. It would be my favorite mobile radio if it had variable power.

Top left in the picture under the Diamond meter.

Sweet set-up there! I recently found a used Galaxy Pluto for a project radio. Different board, but basically the identical layout on the front. I'd snag an 88 if one came along. Their stuff was it for me as a kid in the early to late '90s. Although, I've outgrown the echo on some of their stuff from those days. But I do use roger beeps, especially on SSB. What are the makes on the right? Icom?

Status
Not open for further replies.