Old trucker/new ham

slim6596

Good morning. Being a trucker, I’m familiar with CBs and have been interested in getting into the ham radio side of things for a while now (I’m 59).

Took my Tech license test Friday evening and just got my call sign Wednesday.

I snagged a Yaesu FT-65R on HRO for $65, plus an upgraded antenna and a programming cable. Last Thursday morning, I used CHIRP to program some local repeaters into it and immediately heard a couple of people talking on their way to work.

Eventually, I figured I would get a base station/radio shack setup but it depends on if I stick with this as a hobby.

My other interests are good French press coffee and old fashioned shaving equipment (safety razors and straight razors, lather brushes, mugs).

I’ll be lurking around here, reading and soaking up information.

kg4ehv

Congrats on getting your ticket. Hope you stick with the hobby, there are many facets to it. The ft-65 is a great lil rig, I use mine on .52 and as a scanner.

Fast1eddie

Welcome to the hobby! It's very interesting and educational. I appreciate the older shaving equipment such as the straight edge and stoop but I would probably cut myself good. I have a beard now.

Good DX,
Ed N3KEX

slim6596

Congrats on getting your ticket. Hope you stick with the hobby, there are many facets to it. The ft-65 is a great lil rig, I use mine on .52 and as a scanner.

I’m seeing “.52” references on here…what frequencies does that include?

slim6596

Welcome to the hobby! It's very interesting and educational. I appreciate the older shaving equipment such as the straight edge and stoop but I would probably cut myself good. I have a beard now.

Good DX,
Ed N3KEX

I let out some extra blood a few times learning to use a straight razor. I had better luck using my non dominant hand. It forced me to slow down and really think about what I was doing.

If I used my dominant hand, muscle memory formed using a regular razor took over and I got horror movie (slasher) results.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I’m seeing “.52” references on here…what frequencies does that include?
146.520 MHz. The national calling frequency for 2m simplex. Many hams monitor this frequency.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Good morning. Being a trucker, I’m familiar with CBs and have been interested in getting into the ham radio side of things for a while now (I’m 59).

I snagged a Yaesu FT-65R on HRO for $65, plus an upgraded antenna and a programming cable. Last Thursday morning, I used CHIRP to program some local repeaters into it and immediately heard a couple of people talking on their way to work.

Eventually, I figured I would get a base station/radio shack setup but it depends on if I stick with this as a hobby.

My other interests are good French press coffee and old fashioned shaving equipment (safety razors and straight razors, lather brushes, mugs).

Congrats. Your tech license gives you a small portion of 10 meters you can use. You may already have a radio and antenna on your truck that will work for it. We're really seeing the benefit of the solar cycle right now and many of us are making contacts into Europe. 28.300-28.500 for USB voice or if you're feeling froggy 28.000-28.300 is CW and digital modes. Try listening on 28.074 for some tones, that's a popular digital mode called FT8 that you can do.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the club. I'm glad to hear that you bought a decent radio, instead of a $25 money pit. (The hobby will suck up enough of your money, but at least get decent equipment when it does.)

You will find out, quickly, that a handheld doesn't work well inside a vehicle. That is due to the antenna being inside, so almost any antenna outside will be better.

For VHF & UHF, this could be as simple as a bracket that clips over a window, with your radio's antenna attached to the integrated coax. They are not great, but better than nothing.

slim6596

The newer trucks (I drive a 2020 Freightliner Cascadia) are mostly “plastic” and have antennas on the back of the sleeper. Trying to use them for CB is useless (SWR meter shows over 3:1). I ran my own coax from the driver door mirror mount through the firewall to the CB on top of the dash (meter shows about 1.2:1 average-lower on 20, higher on 1&40).

Before canceling it, I found I could stick the SiriusXM magnet antenna puck to an old license plate and hide it in the topmost storage cubby with zero reception issues, so I’m hoping the slightly longer antenna screwed directly to the radio won’t be entirely useless while driving. (I think it’s a Diamond SRH77).

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Welcome to RR and your new hobby! Now, open your wallet :p.

Ham radio is a fun hobby with many avenues of opportunity to pursue. Take some time to listen (scan) around the VHF and UHF bands to gain some situational awareness about what systems are active in your area and what the conversations are all about.

Also, look for any ham radio clubs or groups that are local to you. Checking in on their on the air nets is a good way to gain experience with your radio and possibly make new acquaintances. Attending in person meetings is even better!

73!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The newer trucks (I drive a 2020 Freightliner Cascadia) are mostly “plastic” and <... snip ...> I’m hoping the slightly longer antenna screwed directly to the radio won’t be entirely useless while driving. (I think it’s a Diamond SRH77).

It might work, but something that can help, especially if you will not be holding the radio is a "tiger tail" wire.

kk9h

Premium Subscriber
Congratulations on your new license and welcome to amateur radio! There are lots of things to learn about and do within the hobby. Your new call is already on QRZ.com and I see that you live in Terra Haute, IN. You have a ham radio club in your area and here is a link to it: Terre Haute Radio Club – K9ITK

One of the most fun aspects of the hobby is the social one and the ease of meeting new friends that share a common interest with you. Some of my closest friends are from the hobby and my local ham club. Ham clubs are also a great way to learn about the various things that hams can do so I recommend checking out the club in your area.

Again, welcome to a wonderful hobby that I have enjoyed for over 55 years.

73, Don KK9H

N4DJC

You’ve overcome a hurdle, welcome to the rabbit hole we know as amateur radio. I’ve been licensed for 44 years and it never gets old.

Get a good 2 meter monoband or dual band mobile, a power supply, and a decent antenna. I think you’ll find it a lot more enjoyable running higher power. Getting into repeaters with a good signal is frustrating with a handheld.