Older Frequency Manager + Scanner version request

ArloG

Pulling out an older version of SDR# from the archives. Version 1732. Because I'm using the method to enable me to use my r8600.
I have a frequency scanner version that seems to be working well.
At first getting it working was a bear. Having to hit enter a few times until I got a non-grayed out OK.
It's v2.4.4.0. I did try a version from an older community release with all plugins but it seemed a bit clunky.
I see mention of Frequency Manager + Scanner. Cant find an older version anyplace at all that was released around when # 1732 was.
Would I benefit at all in using the combined plugin?
If so. Would anyone have an older version or 3 that I could try? In this case, Google was not my friend.
Thanks!

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have a bunch of SDR# stuff saved. Where are you getting version numbers from? Do you have a date created by change?

Dirk_SDR

Should be possible to use the R8600 with the USRP driver also with newer SDR# versions:

If that doesn't work for you: I have a functional installed 1732 version with all plugins to share.

ArloG

Dirk. ver. 1732 I believe is the last version that worked with the driver. Tried v1777 and it didn't recognize my radio.
Read a little bit and I think v1732 is the last one that would work. I'd be thankful if I could grab your copy.
I got mine from here:

Dave. The version comes from the zip file name and of course the extracted name. I did find a version with just the name freqscanner and the extracted file has two folders for net 3.5 & 4.6. Not sure of that version but the plugin didn't exactly play so nice.
A search such as takes me here:

Post 1 looks okay. Right? For ver 1732. Clicking on the download link opens Mega. And in the Frequency_Scanner directory shows the most recent version.
Was curious if using an older version with 1732 would give a bit of a better scanning window with more signal excursion. Of if it's normal across the different releases.
And also Frequency Manager + scanner (haven't found but only the manager....no integrated scanner). Wondered if that would give a better scan window. Just trying to get it all setup like it was when the older versions of plugins were released. Make sense?

thx.

ArloG

From all of he archives I can find. 1732 jumps to 1777. And 1777 does not work with the plugin to use my 8600.
I normally use HDSDR. And recently have actually been successful in getting voice decodes with DSD+ Fastlane.
So I thought diving back into # would be a cool thing to try.

Why jump around with different plugin versions? From the photo I was hoping to get a bit more signal excursion in the scanner window.
If that is possible at all. Like you can do with the sliders for RF scope settings.
From what I've read here on RR. SDR# versions up from 1732 to 1777 went trough some very rapid changes due to some "flakyness".
I don't know. Perhaps tell me.
I was under the assumption that airspy disabled the driver that allowed extio drivers to be used quite quickly. With nastygrams to the dev. of it in later versions.
I'd be very interested if I could try a zipped copy of a later version that lets me use my Icom.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• sdrsharp.jpg
    sdrsharp.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 9

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
From all of he archives I can find. 1732 jumps to 1777.
My stash does the same. I thought there were 2 people hosting past versions but I can only put my finger on the same one you are seeing. Anyone have the link to the other index of past version?

morfis

I don't understand what 'excursion' means in the above?
0.1732 was around for almost a year before 0.1733 came out. From that point updates were every day or two until 0.1740 which then lasted about a week. 0.1741 saw a bigger GUI change. After that back to almost daily versions and sometimes more than one in a day (confusingly some of these used the same version identifier some releases were terminally broken). All were .NET4
Throughout all of these the 'scanner window' style remained the same.

ArloG

Dirk was nice to zip his 1732 with the whole shebang.
It had an older version of freq. scanner.
"Excursion". Like where you can adjust the sliders in the RF window and make signal peaks higher or lower by scaling the dB.
I noticed that his version gave nice tall peaks. I noticed that the Configure dialog had just the one window. With a few settings.
Out of curiosity I renamed the previous 2 .dll files and put in the latest released ones.
The config page of that has multiple tabs with more settings.
In the Channel Analyzer tab I found 2x signal levels. That actually amplified the what I call "excursion"...vertical travel....of signals in the scan window. Leaving me with reading the pdf to relearn using the scanner.
It's just a quest to find the last stable release that allowed the use of extio drivers before AS put their heads up their keesters.
1732 looks like it will do what I need it to. My R8600 along with DSD+ is able to decode digital voice.
It won't trunk. But with the ability to scan and store I'll be able to find more voice channel coms.

ArloG

Not sure how you got the freq. display on the right of the screen but this is what I got.

Attachments

• 1732_Screen.png
    1732_Screen.png
    225.7 KB · Views: 14

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Not sure how you got the freq. display on the right of the screen

Your pic is showing your freq scanner for scanning a range of freqs.

My pic is showing both freq scanner on the left, and the freq manager on the right. If you have the freq manager plugin, click its gear to bring up its configure options and choose a position.

1709951138918.png

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Oh cool. So freq. mgr. and scanner interact? Nice!
Negative. Freq manager lets you add a freqs to user created groups that you can selectively set to scan. Sort of like bookmarking websites. So If I am scanning airband, and find something new, or have a known freq (like the tower) one can create a group and call it airband, or anything you like, and open that group, and select which freqs to scan and it will scan them repeatedly.

I have like 50 different groups which actually need a clean up..

1709954080392.png

So if I open NWS, it gives me all the weather freqs I added and lets me selectively pick which ones I want to scan.

1709954170955.png

Freq scanner lets you program defined ranges to scan. So if you wanted to poke around 700mhz, you can set a range for 769 to 774 and set the step size and it will scan based on your settings.

1709954267071.png

ArloG

Your pic is showing your freq scanner for scanning a range of freqs.

My pic is showing both freq scanner on the left, and the freq manager on the right. If you have the freq manager plugin, click its gear to bring up its configure options and choose a position.

View attachment 158031
Interesting. Perhaps I have an older version of it? In the stock and loaded versions of 1732 I have I just don't see any gear.
Time to look for a version that does? Care to share?

Edit. Answered my own question. Downloaded and placed the newer .dll, edited plugins.
Got gears.

Attachments

• FreqMgr.png
    FreqMgr.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

morfis

Confusion between the included Frequency Manager plugin from Youssef (which didn't have the settings cog) and the feature rich plugin, "Freqman", from Vasili (shown below)?

1.png

Vasili released at least two versions of his plugin and it was subsequently modified/improved by thewraith to give a total of at least 11 versions

morfis

From all of he archives I can find. 1732 jumps to 1777. And 1777 does not work with the plugin to use my 8600.

To stop people using the extIO workaround Youssef changed the 'frontends' structure sometime in September 2020 hence why you couldn't get it to work with v1.0.0.1777

ArloG

Read post #10.
It's how it was shipped to me.
It will be fun to see what updated plugins work as they are tried out.
Yeah. It didn't benefit that dude one iota either. Since the plugins are donated (I think).
Unless he's getting a kickback from the radio mfgrs.
I've been happy with HDSDR for years now. And a bit with sdr-console too. It's just too darned cluttered and won't scan and store and isn't very friendly with independent plugins. But Simon is pretty okay.
Same for DSD+. Last I knew even sdrplay let you use extio drivers with uno.
Everyone has their own opinion.