Oldtime Newbe

Hello to all. I just joined this site and thought I should post here, as I live in Omaha. I recently retired and decided to get back into the hobby, so I broke out my PRO-2006 from storage and found out it still works great but might be dated. . . I'm used to simply scanning to find a freq. then storing it into memory, searching within a range, entering the freq., etc., so it looks like I have a learning curve to ascend here. Can anyone give me a quick primer on how to navigate this new phase of an old hobby? BTW I'm thinking about getting either a WS1098 or BCD536HP - I also like the BCD996P2 but it looks like it has a very steep learning curve. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
Welcome to Radio Reference. First, don't throw out your 2006, its a Good Scanner for what it does.
the Pro 2006 may be Dated for Todays standards but its a Great General Coverage scanner.
it can do AM/FM and Vhf/Uhf and 800 mhz. but all Analog. I would program it for Weather , AM/FM radio , and VHF Marine, Vhf Air band and MILAIR . I would highly Recommend the Whistler 1098, its on Clearence at Whistler.
the 1098 is the big Brother of my 1095 scanner , which does not have a Keyboard. just menu Buttons.
the 1098 is a Modern Digital scanner with P25 phase I/II ability. and it Does Analog Trunking as well.
best of all, it has a SD card for Memory and has the Entire USA & Canada Database from Radio Reference on it.
and you can use the EZ scan software to Update the Scanner. just my Opinion , but I think Whistler EZ scan is the Better Software.

Yes that's exactly what I have been listening to! Good tip about the WS1098 - I just don't care for the detachable face plate - but only cosmetic. I wasn't sure about the programming aspect but I will just have to fumble my through! Thanks for the info.