Oldtime Newbe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake-r8

Hello to all. I just joined this site and thought I should post here, as I live in Omaha. I recently retired and decided to get back into the hobby, so I broke out my PRO-2006 from storage and found out it still works great but might be dated. . . I'm used to simply scanning to find a freq. then storing it into memory, searching within a range, entering the freq., etc., so it looks like I have a learning curve to ascend here. Can anyone give me a quick primer on how to navigate this new phase of an old hobby? BTW I'm thinking about getting either a WS1098 or BCD536HP - I also like the BCD996P2 but it looks like it has a very steep learning curve. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
Welcome to Radio Reference. First, don't throw out your 2006, its a Good Scanner for what it does.
the Pro 2006 may be Dated for Todays standards but its a Great General Coverage scanner.
it can do AM/FM and Vhf/Uhf and 800 mhz. but all Analog. I would program it for Weather , AM/FM radio , and VHF Marine, Vhf Air band and MILAIR . I would highly Recommend the Whistler 1098, its on Clearence at Whistler.
the 1098 is the big Brother of my 1095 scanner , which does not have a Keyboard. just menu Buttons.
the 1098 is a Modern Digital scanner with P25 phase I/II ability. and it Does Analog Trunking as well.
best of all, it has a SD card for Memory and has the Entire USA & Canada Database from Radio Reference on it.
and you can use the EZ scan software to Update the Scanner. just my Opinion , but I think Whistler EZ scan is the Better Software.

Drake-r8

Yes that's exactly what I have been listening to! Good tip about the WS1098 - I just don't care for the detachable face plate - but only cosmetic. I wasn't sure about the programming aspect but I will just have to fumble my through! Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.