On the forums almost 10 years later

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvawatch

Not sure what to expect out of this post, other than I feel like I should say hello. I joined this forum almost 10 years ago and was an active user back then. I very occasionally logged on to check on this or that, but nothing much. I just cracked out the old scanner, subscribed as a premium user, and downloaded the local channels. Seems like not much has changed, although I no longer have the coolest and latest scanner.

It's weird how time passes. 10 years ago I was a late teenager just out of high school and wet behind the ears. Now I'm a local attorney, married, and paying a mortgage. Cheers!

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Welcome back to RR! I'm in Henrico county and enjoy monitoring the VSP as well the Henrico-Richmond-Chesterfield trunked system.

If you can still monitor your local public service frequencies with a ten year old scanner, that's a good thing, as you save a bunch of money.

What do you enjoy monitoring now that you have rekindled your scanning hobby?

rvawatch

Thanks Jimru! I'm using a Uniden BCD-396XT. I bought it just after it came out. Looks like it's about 7-8 years old. I see there's a newer Uniden out thats about 2 years old. Not sure if I should upgrade or just keep this one. But as long as the locals don't encrypt, this will allow me to listen.

Well I've always been interested in hearing whatever county I'm in. I live in Chesterfield now. I like hearing what's going on closeby. Although, now that I practice law, and half of what I do is criminal defense, I'm listening with a different view. It's weird - at the same time I listen to make sure what's going on nearby is taken care of, but then I'll also listen with a skeptical ear of "policing the police." But this is what keeps our country great - not letting any one branch of government have too much power.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
I have the model prior to yours; the 396T and I'm able to monitor everything I want/need in Central VA!
My tendency is to use what rigs I have until they aren't able to fulfill my purpose. My base model, the Uniden BC-780 is now relegated to conventional system monitoring; it cannot handle any of the trunked systems in this area. It's still a great rig for monitoring things like aero, railroad, military and business frequencies.

I may or may not upgrade to a new base model, as I am having plenty of fun using the HT (plus I prefer monitoring in my La-Z-Boy as opposed to the desk!).

Status
Not open for further replies.