One Button Operation to Get 'Scan Set' on PSR-800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwscott

Premium Subscriber
In the RR Wiki for the PSR-800 it says:

"...Scan Set; create a scan list tailored to your favorite scan list settings.

One button operation to get to this set....."

Can someone tell me how that's done? I understand Scan Sets that can specify the Scanlists you want...you can have up to 20 sets to use....but how are they (or one?) accessed with 'One button operation'??

rwier

From 800EZScan pdf manual:

"we assume that to start out, youʼll enable and disable Scanlists primarily by using the Main Menuʼs Scanlists function" (page 47)

That's a hint that there is another way. I'll keep looking.

The rest of the manual does not fullfill, or explain, the hint, bummer, sorry I can't help.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
OK... While I don't think it is truely "one button' per se the way I've got Scansets working was I first went and populated all the necessary ScanLists with the various agencies and their various departments first in the software. After doing that I then went through and enabled everything I'd set into the ScanLists and disabled the `default' Scanset by going into the `adavanced tab'. Next I then went and made up titles for the remaining Scansets and picked the Scanlists I wanted for each of the Scanset `titles'/`categories'. Once I had the various Scansets `populated' all I have had to do is scroll down to the ScanSets entry on the main menu enter the submenu and chose whatever Scanset, or Scansets, I want to scan and do a `left arrow' back out to the main menu and tell the scanner to scan.

Getting into the Scansets to change what Scanlists are in what Scanset is a tad bit more work in that you have to use the `menu' button rather than the `right arrow' a second time. (Which brings up editing the Alpha Tag for the Scanset.) While, like I first said it isn't quite just one button to get to, it actually becomes fairly quick and easy to pick and choose Scansets and also make any possible changes to them with only a short time of useage. (When I first set out to set up Scansets I did have my doubts as to the ease of use. Now I can almost switch between different Scansets without pretty much not having to really look at the screen. [*If* I have to make a `major' change I do have to look and if I am the only one in the vehicle, and obviously driving, I make it a point to first find someplace I can pull off and stop to make said change(s)!]) {YMMV!}

BTW, when I first got my 800 I had doubts about how useful 200 Scanlists, 20 Scansets, and pretty much unlimited V-Scanners was going to be without a keypad to enable switching between various agencies and departments like we've become used to with previous scanners. The `trick' that makes it all work is the, somewhat, large number of Scanlists combined with the `unlimited' V-Scanners. There are the occasional day now and then that I find myself traversing several (As in 3-4 counties and that many or more municipalities.) different systems in the course of my travels. As I also usually find myself making several stops here and there I have been able to set up assorted V-Scanners that besides providing different Scanlists allow me to have different Scansets available. The number of Scanlists available (200 [Actually 199 as I usually leave #200 `blank' for use as a `default' Scanlist just in case I might want to do a search.]) makes it easy to get very `granular' as to what TGs or freqs I have available to populate my Scansets. This allows me to pretty much almost make changes to what I am listening to on a town by town or district by district basis pretty close to `on the fly' hardly having to `pull over'. Generally `stoplight' time is enough time for all but *major* changes and in those cases I have found that I can usually make those at one of my `planned' stops. Interestingly I have found myself starting to get slightly frustrated making `bank' changes to effect similar changes with my PSR-500 and it's keypad!? (I *will* admit that I still use my 500 for certain `systems'/`agencies'/`departments' that I also have programmed into the 800 even though the 800 does just as well on basically mainly out of habit. Though I suspect that as I keep getting more and more familiar with the 800 the 500 will end up being a `backseat' / `second seat' scanner that entertains, or keeps `out of my hair', a passenger, or passengers. {GRIN!} [Another possibility is that the 500 might also become a `foaming'/`railfanning' scanner because of the ease of locking and unlocking of various freqs compared to the 800 though that, too, may eventually change.])

However... Having said all that I will also admit that I would like to see GRE bring out a `base'/`mobile' version of the 800! I'd also like it to be able to have a `remoteable' control `head' option that all one would have to do to utilize it would be release some `latches' to disconnect it from the `body', hook up a cable between it and the `body', and hang each piece with it's own bracket wherever one wants. (In my case the `body' would be back under the cargo deck right behind the back seat and the `head' up on the dash in one of the existing dash `trays' or console `cubbies'.) While I `sort of' `like?' how they have `streamlined?' the new vehicle interiors the fact that they have almost completely eliminated the under dash space to install/hang things more than slightly irks me no end.

Anyway... If anyone might want to see an example of how I am using Scanlists, Scansets, and V-Scanners you can PM me with your email address and I can send you a sample V-Scanner file to play with. (I can't guaranty that it will work with your local systems, unless you happen to live in Colorado, but, it should serve as an example of how the Scanlist/Scanset system is set up.)

pwscott

Premium Subscriber
Scanlists

Thanks for the reply Halfpint. That's sort of what I figured. I have about 50 scanlists set up now and am just starting on what Scansets will contain which Scanlists. Being 30 miles above NYC there's an awful lot to hear.

I suppose it's just a bit of an overstatement in the Wiki or the marketing to say 'one button'. On my BC396T it is in fact one button for 0 thru 9 and three buttons [.13} for example to toggle bank #13.

Very pleased with the 800 so far and rather impressed with the EZscan SW....I can't imagine why the NEXT button is way in the lower right :confused:but the SW is pretty well done.

I do love the ability to customize the LED colors and flashes,...have set up slow blue for PDs, slow red for FDs, slow Green for EMS....SWAT and SOD/ESU in NY get Police Strobe #3 that rapidly strobes blue/red, FBI, ATF etc have Red, White, Blue LED assigned. State Police is Yellow for Troop G and Orange for Car <> Car, trunked radio a county over is purple.
VERY cool capability.:D:cool:

Will have to investigate the V-scanner files/folders more. Hopefully I can save 'Current' into slot #2 and then open it and make changes rather than recreating the wheel.

Thanks for your reply. Will send you a PM as well.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
OK... While I don't think it is truely "one button' per se the way I've got Scansets working was I first went and populated all the necessary ScanLists with the various agencies and their various departments first in the software. After doing that I then went through and enabled everything I'd set into the ScanLists and disabled the `default' Scanset by going into the `adavanced tab'. Next I then went and made up titles for the remaining Scansets and picked the Scanlists I wanted for each of the Scanset `titles'/`categories'. Once I had the various Scansets `populated' all I have had to do is scroll down to the ScanSets entry on the main menu enter the submenu and chose whatever Scanset, or Scansets, I want to scan and do a `left arrow' back out to the main menu and tell the scanner to scan.
This also allows one button ops. Press Power on and scanner starts scanning.

Halfpint, I sent you a PM with my email.

Status
Not open for further replies.