Oneida County VHF P25 Trunking?

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
NAC: 2A5h P25 P2 OC

Latest Beta firmware for the SDS100 has a new NAC: option I have 2A5h entered but when receiving a transmission the NAC: 0A9h comes on the screen can anyone explain what is going on? Thank you!

This is on the OC P25 P2 system.

Prospect62

It's not just you, and its not just that channel. The conventional simulcast has an issue. It seems to be only one tower that is causing the problem, but one can screw up most of the county. This is one of the main reasons why the Oneida County hasn't signed off on the system and given Motorola final payment. No one is really sure of the cause at this point, or why it is so intermittent.

There's a certain person here who I'm waiting to see address this and so far, nothing. For the last however many months I thought it was me or my setup. Now I know it's them. Interesting.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
ignore site NAC option

Latest Beta firmware for the SDS100 has a new NAC: option I have 2A5h entered but when receiving a transmission the NAC: 0A9h comes on the screen can anyone explain what is going on? Thank you!

This is on the OC P25 P2 system.

Now I'm seeing a new NAC when receiving on this system 4F2h along with 0A9h and the assigned 2A5h at different times.
Is this a beta firmware glitch or will the NAC change from time to time? I'm new to digital 🙄

Thanks

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
2A5 is the NAC for the Oneida simulcast (Site 5). Anything else you're seeing is either a bad decode or a scanner glitch, as the site NAC is static and does not change; the same NAC applies to all frequencies and talkgroups for a given site.

daredevil1

control channel 151.010 Please add 151.0125 151.0075 151.015 151.0175 to test the simulcast overlap problems .. I have added these channels and getting very good results. I not sure why?

OK so very strange. I was picking up no signal until I added these additional frequencies in manually in wordpad.
Edit: 151.0175 is the only frequency I kept, the other 3 by themselves I still pick up nothing.

Last edited:
OK so very strange. I was picking up no signal until I added these additional frequencies in manually in wordpad.
Edit: 151.0175 is the only frequency I kept, the other 3 by themselves I still pick up nothing.

What scanner do you have. Do you receive all the Talk Groups using 151.0175 ?

08/28/2018 Application Granted / Call Sign WRCC846

File Number 0008188962
ONEIDA, COUNTY OF
120 BASE ROAD
ORISKANY, NY 13424
ATTN KEVIN REVERE

YW - Public Safety Pool, Trunked

Receipt Date 06/19/2018

ULS Application - Public Safety Pool, Trunked - 0008188962 - ONEIDA, COUNTY OF

History

ULS Application - Public Safety Pool, Trunked - 0008188962 - ONEIDA, COUNTY OF - History

Canadian Engineering 6 19 18 06/19/2018
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/...tachmentKey=20385642&attachmentInd=applAttach

08/28/2018 Application Granted

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Trunked License - WRCC846 - ONEIDA, COUNTY OF

Call Sign WRCC846

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if there is money in the Oneida County or New York State budgets for expanding the P25 P2 system to the new sites?

Central New York Interoperable Communications Consortium (CNYICC) Radio IDs - The RadioReference Wiki

Oneida County (NY) Firefighting Radio IDs
Oneida County Fire radios IDs on the CNYICC system begin with 6500
6500xxx: - Oneida County Fire Radio IDs
6500010: Car 280 Emergency Services Director
6500710: Car 278 Cascade Van - Verona

Oneida County (NY) Law Enforcement
Oneida County Law Enforcement radios IDs on the CNYICC system begin with 6573 & 6574
6573xxx: - Oneida County Sheriff Investigators
6574xxx: - Oneida County Sheriff Road Patrol

Utica Police radios IDs on the CNYICC system begin with 6570 & 6579
6570xxx: - Utica Police Department Radio IDs
6579xxx: - Utica Police Department Radio IDs
6591007: - Utica Police Department 911 Dispatch Center
6570500: UPD Patrol Sergeant Car 50 (car mobile radio)
6570501: UPD Patrol Sergeant Unit 50 (Portable Handset)
6570510: UPD 51 Zone 1 patrol - Downtown/West (car mobile radio)
6570511: UPD 51 Zone 1 patrol - Downtown/West (Portable Handset)
6570520: UPD 52 Zone 2 patrol - Downtown (car mobile radio)
6570521: UPD 52 Zone 2 patrol - Downtown (Portable Handset)
6570530: UPD 53 Zone 3 patrol - West (car mobile radio)
6570531: UPD 53 Zone 3 patrol - West (Portable Handset)
6570540: UPD 54 Zone 4 patrol - South (car mobile radio)
6570541: UPD 54 Zone 4 patrol - South (Portable Handset)
6570550: UPD 55 Zone 5 patrol - Central (car mobile radio)
6570551: UPD 55 Zone 5 patrol - Central (Portable Handset)
6570560: UPD 56 Zone 6 patrol - East (car mobile radio)
6570561: UPD 56 Zone 6 patrol - East (Portable Handset)
6570570: UPD 57 Zone 7 patrol - East/Central (car mobile radio)
6570571: UPD 57 Zone 7 patrol - East/Central (Portable Handset)
6570580: UPD 58 Zone 8 patrol - North (car mobile radio)
6570581: UPD 58 Zone 8 patrol - North (Portable Handset)

Utica Fire Radio IDs
Utica Fire radios IDs on the CNYICC system begin with 6544
6544xxx: - Utica Fire Department Radio IDs
6591009: - Utica Fire Department 911 Dispatch Center
6544001: Station 1 UFD
6544201: Station 1 UFD
6544002: Station 2 UFD
6544202: Station 2 UFD
6544003: Station 3 UFD
6544203: Station 3 UFD
6544004: Station 4 UFD
6544204: Station 4 UFD
6544005: Station 5 UFD
6544205: Station 5 UFD
6544006: Station 6 UFD
6544206: Station 6 UFD
6544007: Station 7 UFD
6544207: Station 7 UFD
6544110: Engine 1 UFD (mobile radio)
654411x: Engine 1 UFD (Portable Handset)
6544120: Engine 2 UFD (mobile radio)
654412x: Engine 2 UFD (Portable Handset)
6544130: Engine 3 UFD (mobile radio)
654413x: Engine 3 UFD (Portable Handset)
6544140: Engine 4 UFD (mobile radio)
654414x: Engine 4 UFD (Portable Handset)
6544150: Engine 5 UFD (mobile radio)
654415x: Engine 5 UFD (Portable Handset)
6544160: Engine 6 UFD (mobile radio)
654416x: Engine 6 UFD (Portable Handset)
6544170: Engine 7 UFD (mobile radio)
654417x: Engine 7 UFD (Portable Handset)
6544810: Truck 1 UFD (mobile radio)
654481x: Truck 1 UFD (Portable Handset)
6544820: Truck 2 UFD (mobile radio)
654482x: Truck 2 UFD (Portable Handset)
6544830: Truck 3 UFD (mobile radio)
654483x: Truck 3 UFD (Portable Handset)
6544840: Truck 4 UFD (mobile radio)
654484x: Truck 4 UFD (Portable Handset)
6544620: TAC 2 UFD (mobile radio)
654462x: TAC 2 UFD (Portable Handset)

65063 TE Rome Police OPS 4
(official name is OPS 4)

Last edited:

Prospect62

I've been noticing lately the Sheriff sometimes sounds slightly off frequency and then clears up. I've seen this on 3 different radios and both outside and internal antennas. Sometimes it happens during conversation. It happens with dispatch so I know they're not moving. Anyone else experiencing this?

...The conventional simulcast has an issue. It seems to be only one tower that is causing the problem, but one can screw up most of the county. This is one of the main reasons why the Oneida County hasn't signed off on the system and given Motorola final payment. No one is really sure of the cause at this point, or why it is so intermittent.

Still no resolution...and people "in the know" are being awfully quiet on this issue. It's only affecting the conventional system but the simulcast was part of the P25 upgrade so I'm blaming it.

I'm really concerned how they're ok with letting law and fire communications go on while sounding horribly degraded and it's ok because Motorola is "looking into it".

MegaHertz315

Premium Subscriber
I'm really concerned how they're ok with letting law and fire communications go on while sounding horribly degraded and it's ok because Motorola is "looking into it".

No radio system is 100% perfect without any flaws. I highly doubt "they're ok" with letting this go. What proof do you have that they are just letting this go? Are you saying they have stopped looking out for a cause and a solution? Sometimes this takes a little bit of time. And, it requires something called, patience.

I'm glad to see the changes in comm's in Oneida County, and I think they've done a great job so far.

Past:

Oneida County PS= VHF Highband
Rome City PS= UHF NXDN
Utica City PS= 800 MHz EDACS

Right there is a huge improvement itself. Had 3 different radio systems, now all into 1.

I say we focus on the improvements that have been made, and appreciate the positive that has been done to improve the entire city/county radio systems. It's going to take a little bit of time to tweak things. This system is nowhere near being complete.

Prospect62

No no, not at all saying they've given up on trying to figure it out - I have zero proof that this is the case. It's quite the contrary actually, Oneida County is withholding final payment on the system until the matter is resolved. But it's been this way for quite some time and I'm having a hard time believing that they're working really *that* hard on it. But, for all I know, they may be.

I'm glad you're happy with the changes in the system - but I can tell you from first hand knowledge that end users aren't. I can say that because I'm one of them. The P25 system is only marginally better in some places and much worse in others. Meanwhile, the county-wide conventional VHF high band system for rural/suburban law and FD/EMS remains in place (been the same for 50 years) and wasn't consolidated "into 1" as you say.

The "upgrade" may be nowhere near complete - and I hope it's not - because it is decidedly no better than the way things were. In fact, with the degradation in quality to almost un-listenable on the VHF conventional system (due to the simulcast modification), I'd argue that things are actually worse on the whole.

No radio system is 100% perfect without any flaws. I highly doubt "they're ok" with letting this go. What proof do you have that they are just letting this go? Are you saying they have stopped looking out for a cause and a solution? Sometimes this takes a little bit of time. And, it requires something called, patience.

I'm glad to see the changes in comm's in Oneida County, and I think they've done a great job so far.

Past:

Oneida County PS= VHF Highband
Rome City PS= UHF NXDN
Utica City PS= 800 MHz EDACS

Right there is a huge improvement itself. Had 3 different radio systems, now all into 1.

I say we focus on the improvements that have been made, and appreciate the positive that has been done to improve the entire city/county radio systems. It's going to take a little bit of time to tweak things. This system is nowhere near being complete.

Last edited:

MegaHertz315

Premium Subscriber
Nope, never said they consolidated. Each of those users had 3 different types of systems. Now they are down to " 1 " band (VHF). They can all talk using 1 band.

As the system continues its buildout process, rural/suburban law and FD/EMS will be all on the same system as NH, Rome, and Utica.

Licenses have been approved for Deasboro, Steuben, Florence, and Cassville tower sites. This is one of the first processes to get the system built out, throughout the rest of the county.

No no, not at all saying they've given up on trying to figure it out - I have zero proof that this is the case. It's quite the contrary actually, Oneida County is withholding final payment on the system until the matter is resolved. But it's been this way for quite some time and I'm having a hard time believing that they're working really *that* hard on it. But, for all I know, they may be.

I'm glad you're happy with the changes in the system - but I can tell you from first hand knowledge that end users aren't. I can say that because I'm one of them. The P25 system is only marginally better in some places and much worse in others. Meanwhile, the county-wide conventional VHF high band system for rural/suburban law and FD/EMS remains in place (been the same for 50 years) and wasn't consolidated "into 1" as you say.

The "upgrade" may be nowhere near complete - and I hope it's not - because it is decidedly no better than the way things were. In fact, with the degradation in quality to almost un-listenable on the VHF conventional system (due to the simulcast modification), I'd argue that things are actually worse on the whole.

I am in the Utica area and county-wide conventional VHF high band system with simulcast modification is working very well. I can here them louder on the new system. The towers in Steuben, Florence, and CASSVILLE, come in very clear.

nacsr

Premium Subscriber
I am in the Utica area and county-wide conventional VHF high band system with simulcast modification is working very well. I can here them louder on the new system. The towers in Steuben, Florence, and CASSVILLE, come in very clear.

I didnt think those towers were online yet. They just applied for the license in June right?

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
I didnt think those towers were online yet. They just applied for the license in June right?

I believe that virtualspin315 was referencing the [older] conventional system on the existing towers, not the newer P25 system.

nacsr

Premium Subscriber

Okay. my unscientific observation. Im in Lee about 8 miles from the Erie Blvd tower. Analog has definitely gotten worse.Fire Control and the OC Sheriff is very statically lately. I rarely pick up RPD and RFD,sometimes get Utica.I consistently get Onondaga,Madison counties.Also have picked up Oswego and Cayuga counties.Obviously I dont have answers.I have the TRX 1and the Uniden 436 and have an outside antenna and have been scanning since the tunable and crystal days so Im not new at this jus looking for answers.Ive tried most of the tweaks I've seen on various sites.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Okay. my unscientific observation. Im in Lee about 8 miles from the Erie Blvd tower. Analog has definitely gotten worse.Fire Control and the OC Sheriff is very statically lately. I rarely pick up RPD and RFD,sometimes get Utica.I consistently get Onondaga,Madison counties.Also have picked up Oswego and Cayuga counties.Obviously I dont have answers.I have the TRX 1and the Uniden 436 and have an outside antenna and have been scanning since the tunable and crystal days so Im not new at this jus looking for answers.Ive tried most of the tweaks I've seen on various sites.

Your comparing apples and bananas here. Onondaga, Madison, Oswego and Cayuga are all 10+ Site UHF Simulcast Cells with very good sites. Oneida is VHF and only trunking in Rome and Utica. Without knowing ERP and design requirements you can only speculate, but long before the P25 was up in Oneida otehr counties P25 systems would work there with no issues.

As has been clearly documented scanning P25 with a scanner can create multiple issues. My new house is less than a mile from a new HArris P25 700 Mhz system. My scanner rarely decodes, regardless of an indoor antenna, outdoor or no antenna. My XTS2500 with a stubby antenna works 100% of the time.

As for the conventional...although the concept and frequency has been the same for decades many changes have happened from narrowbanding to PL changes to site changes. I remember when you could just about get in from all over outside the county on a portable. After narrowbanding and other changes this changed alot.