Ontario Canada Air Ambulance ADS-B

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATCTech

Not that I've ever seen, and I've had ADS-B monitoring running for a year almost non-stop from just west of Toronto. There's no requirement from an ATC perspective in this area of Canada yet.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
They do beacon but no positions.

Generally when I hear a helicopter off to the west, I check Planeplotter and usually see something around 2500 feet which is them.

I've got an alert setup to notify me when one is in the area.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
They do beacon but no positions.

Generally when I hear a helicopter off to the west, I check Planeplotter and usually see something around 2500 feet which is them.

I've got an alert setup to notify me when one is in the area.

Steve: I have recently started to monitor Aircraft. I have limited expertise when it comes to this.

. I am aware that on FlightRadar24.com that aircraft that dont use the ADS-B (?) or transponders will not show up.

I hear Medivac numerous times, flying in and out of Mac, HGH, St. Mikes, etc. Wespark also use heli's and take off and land about 3 km of me.

I do not hear these crafts.

I hear numerous private planes flying in and around Burlington, and some aircraft flying/departing Burlington Air Park. They dont appear on radar, I hear them and see them as they radio Hamilton and Burlington but cannot see them on radar.

Is there a site that anyone here can recommend for air scanning for the purposes above I have mentioned? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Planespotters?

TIA

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
I am aware that on FlightRadar24.com that aircraft that dont use the ADS-B (?) or transponders will not show up.

The only one I'm really familiar with is FlightRadar24 and it does show planes without ADS-B using either MLAT or FAA data.

Unfortunately, the air ambulances fly too low for MLAT to work and I believe they fly VFR so they aren't radar tracked (or they fly too low).

About all I can do is watch for their callsigns which let's me know they're in the area somewhere.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.1483 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

Cool. I like the same site. The 5 min delay is a drag but c'est La vie.

Medivac is extremely busy here, and you are correct in that when they fly here they are too low to be picked up.

It's too bad, on a nice day there are literally hundreds of planes in the area. I think that Hamilton's air space is west of the Skyway and south of the escarpment.

I also enjoy listening to the planes as they cross the Atlantic with Live Atis HF feeds, with flightradar24.com when conditions warrant it.

Last edited:

ATCTech

You might enjoy poking around vfrmap.com . Switch between the VFR hybrid, low and high level maps and you'll see the airways, navaids, control zones and other information. .

But be warned it defaults to starting over the Seattle WA area, so zoom out, drag it east and start zooming back in over the Great Lakes to find southern Ontario

Bob

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Thank you guys

I'd love .to host a NAV-A setup for the site Steve mentioned. but I cant provide them with a proper antenna. The balcony obstructs the NE and I am not allowed to put an antenna on the railing.

One of the guys who is big in the Ontario forum, 02Blackss or something like that has a great setup,
I think he is allowed to put up as many antennas that he wants and IIRC, the range might be over 200 NM.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Looks like C-GYNO is airborne:

[NoPos]:
ADS: C08569 REG: C-GYNO FLT: AZM: 000.0 ELV: 0.0 RTE: SQK: 0000
[ 1/12/2014 @ 11:48:47 AM ]

Status
Not open for further replies.