OP25 need help understanding whitelist/blacklist TGID file

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockfordpi

OP25 running fine. Setup my TGID file, at first I thought that controlled what TG's I hear. However, if I understand correctly, that file only provides the TG names when that TG is broadcast?

So, that takes me to Blacklist/whitelist. If I understand black list, it ignores those TG's? What does Whitelist do?

Can I limit the TG I monitor from within the the Trunk.tsv file itself, or do I have to have a separate file (I have seen references to both)? how do I do this?

boatbod

trunk-tags.tsv (referenced from trunk.tsv) specified both the tgid tag name (display name) and also (optionally) the tgid priority. Lower numbers are considered higher priority, with the default being "3" if no prio is explicitly specified.

whitelist limits monitored tgids to just those listed numerically in the file.
blacklist excludes numerically listed tgids but allows everything else to play
Ranges of whitelist and blacklist are specified by settings the starting tgid followed by a tab character and the ending tgid

KA1RBI

Just to mention that nothing is stopping you from having both a whitelist and a blacklist defined - but such a configuration is nonsensical.

When the list of talkgroups you want to hear is known in advance and you want only those talkgroups, use a whitelist. On the other hand if you have a list of known talkgroups you don't want to hear - put them in a blacklist, you'll hear anything on the system that isn't blacklisted...

Max

rockfordpi

Ok, I may be slowly catching on here (or not). So, to whitelist OR blacklist, I need a 3rd file. Is that file defined in the whitelist column like the TGID tags file?

Also, still a little confused about the priority thing. Could I avoid creating a separate whitelist file and sort of accomplish the same thing by adding a priority field into the tags file? What happens if I make the groups I really want to hear, priority of one and the groups I do not want to hear, a much higher number?

Is it a correct assumption that if I give a single TGID a priority of 1, I will always hear that talk group? If I give a second TGID a priority of 2, I will always hear THAT TGID as long as the priority one TG is not transmitting, on so on.

In the scenario above, what about TGID's that are not even listed in the tag file, will they be a priority 3 by default?

My situation is that there are certain TGID's that I always want to hear and that I do not mind hearing the others as long as they do not block out the important one(s).

boatbod

Ok, I may be slowly catching on here (or not). So, to whitelist OR blacklist, I need a 3rd file. Is that file defined in the whitelist column like the TGID tags file?

Also, still a little confused about the priority thing. Could I avoid creating a separate whitelist file and sort of accomplish the same thing by adding a priority field into the tags file? What happens if I make the groups I really want to hear, priority of one and the groups I do not want to hear, a much higher number?

Is it a correct assumption that if I give a single TGID a priority of 1, I will always hear that talk group? If I give a second TGID a priority of 2, I will always hear THAT TGID as long as the priority one TG is not transmitting, on so on.

In the scenario above, what about TGID's that are not even listed in the tag file, will they be a priority 3 by default?

My situation is that there are certain TGID's that I always want to hear and that I do not mind hearing the others as long as they do not block out the important one(s).

If you want to enable whitelist or blacklist then you need to add a filename to the appropriate spot(s) inside trunk.tsv in exactly the same way that trunk-tags is referenced.

By the sound of it you can acomplish what you need simply by adding tgid priorities. Highest priority tgid gets a 1 and then work down from there. If you have things defined as follows and 11503 is active (implicit default prio 3), the call will be preempted by activity on 11501 or 11502.
Code:
11501   Talbot Fire Disp        1
11502   Talbot Fire Tac2        2
11503   Talbot Fire Tac3
11504   Talbot Fire Tac4

Format of the tags file is: tgid#<tab>text string with spaces<tab>prio#

Status
Not open for further replies.