OP25 OP25 on Raspberry pi3b Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumfordsa

Premium Subscriber
Ok, can someone help my dumba**? I recently purchased a raspberry pi b3 from Target with the hopes of running op25 with rdl-sdr. I'm completely new to Linux.
I need a step by step instruction guide that a preschooler couldn't screw up.

Last edited:

boatbod

Do you have an RTL dongle to deliver a slice of RF spectrum to the op25 software yet?
If not, your first job is to look online, find and order a "RTL" sdr device with RTL820T2 tuner and TXCO *temp compensated crystal oscillator". You should find one for about $25-$35 or so, with brands such as RTL-SDR and NOOELEC considered among the better hardware vendors. Watch out for the cheaper devices that are not temperature compensated - they suffer from excessive frequency "drift" which makes setting up and using them problematic.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up a pi 3 b+ and did the exact install Boatbod posted and its working good. I had no sound and it seems I needed to add 2> stderr-stream0.2 to the end of the command line. Did not have to do that on my laptop or my Intel Nuc. But its playing nice.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up a pi 3 b+ and did the exact install Boatbod posted and its working good. I had no sound and it seems I needed to add 2> stderr-stream0.2 to the end of the command line. Did not have to do that on my laptop or my Intel Nuc. But its playing nice.

Can you share the complete command line you are using? Thanks!

squirrel

Premium Subscriber
had no sound and it seems I needed to add 2> stderr-stream0.2 to the end of the command line.

That just enables logging output to a file and should not have any affect on the sound output. There was bug boatbod fixed recently that OP25 went silent after 1 transmission so I would recommend doing a git pull to make sure you are on the latest.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
That just enables logging output to a file and should not have any affect on the sound output. There was bug boatbod fixed recently that OP25 went silent after 1 transmission so I would recommend doing a git pull to make sure you are on the latest.

I got the pi yesterday and did the op25 install last night. So my git pull was done last night. When was the update made available for pull?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The install took a while. I must have did the first pull right before he uploaded because now it's working without the end I posted. And now remember doing sudo apt-get update & sudo apt-get upgrade this morning. Not sure if that corrected it or not or did the pull but it seems to work..

But today I am unable to right click on op25/op25/gr-op25_repeater/apps and get terminal to work. Says terminal emulator not set. Is there a way to make a terminal shortcut that can sit on the desktop and open into op25/op25/gr-op25_repeater/apps?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Can you share the complete command line you are using? Thanks!
I have 2 depending on my mood and the first 2 are what I use in Ubuntu

This one runs op25 and enables the web browser interface.
./rx.py --args 'rtl' -f 851.1625e6 -g 65 -o 17e3 -N 'LNA:35' -V -T suff_site_4_800.tsv -2 -U -l http:127.0.0.1:8080
Then open a browser and enter 127.0.0.1:8080 and you have the interface..

This one runs op25 and just plays sound and uses op25 gui
./rx.py --args 'rtl' -f 851.1625e6 -g 65 -o 17e3 -N 'LNA:35' -V -T suff_site_4_800.tsv -2 -U

Edited.

Now my regular lines are working.

rumfordsa

Premium Subscriber
I'm wondering if I have to wrong operating system? Its running rasbian I believe. I wonder if it would be possible to copy a working OS with it working and download it as a package. I'm new to this linux stuff and I'm half tempted to abort and load this pi in my clay thrower

squirrel

Premium Subscriber
I am using Raspian-stretch with Desktop Download Raspbian for Raspberry Pi

Below are some down and dirty notes but this should get you up to the point where op25 is installed and just needs to be configured

Using SD Card Formatter - Format SD Card
Using Win32DiskImager - Write Raspian image to card
Insert card into Pi, Plug Pi into keyboard/Monitor
Power on Pi
run updates
open a new terminal window
(if you want to force the audio to go thru the 3.5mm jack for local monitoring)
run sudo raspi-config
scroll to 7 - Advanced Options --> A4 Audio and select force 3.5mm
reboot the pi

--Install OP25--
open a new terminal window
cd ~
git clone boatbod/op25 op25
cd ~/op25
./install.sh (this takes awhile on the Pi)

--Install gnuplot
sudo apt-get install gnuplot-x11

See if you can get to this point and then the next step is to configure the trunk.tsv file located in /op25/op25/gr-op25_repeater/apps. boatbod made some updates using LiquidAudio which in my opinion was easier to get going.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I too have Raspbian-stretch with Desktop installed on a Pi3 model b+ and just installed Op25 Boatbod the same way described above and it works good. Like squirrel asks, where are you getting stuck?
You have the os installed and working?
Do you get OP25 installed?

boatbod

New as of yesterday is a README-rpi3-liquidsoap that you can find in the ~/op25 directory.
You can use this as baseline instructions for how to install a RPi3 with op25 and liquidsoap for either streaming or local listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.