Open Beta for Digital Filter Improvements 1.11.20

Status
Not open for further replies.

bama9999

I monitor both EDACS ProVoice and P25 phase 1 and 2 with my BCD536HP and I can hear a moderate improvement on the P25 system, but on the EDACS ProVoice system, there is a much bigger improvement. The voice clarity is markedly improved.

I am also getting better/stronger readings (more bars) on the signal meter.

Quite impressive so far.

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Sounds better but still getting talkgroup ID falsing on one frequency trunk and cross slot bleed over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Uploaded the new firmware and tried testing out simplex DMR. Still getting no audio hits from my TRBO radios just a hissing sound on playback on my 436. I am probably too close to the radio

I was thinking of bringing my 436 to work with me since they use simplex DMR. Will try there on the weekend, maybe some concrete walls between the radios and the scanner will work lol!

Still will see if what other improvements on other flavours are in store. On the upside of things, happy to see Uniden addressing the simplex issue.

Happy decoding

Michael

Last edited:

bearcat

I'm running a 436 with the ProVoice upgrade monitoring the mixed mode analog/digital EDACS ProVoice system in Albuquerque, NM. The sound quality on digital is good, analog however, is very low volume in comparison.

I do wish you would improve the analog quality as well. If I enable volume offset to make up for this, digital is blaringly loud.

I also want to mention, AGC does not correct any issues with the sound.
I was wondering. Are you using NFM on analog? FM will have weak audio on narrowbanded analog systems.

ChrisABQ

I have made that change to NFM (not auto or FM) awhile back, no difference. This is an issue with the 436, would be nice if they could make a programming change to correct this.

SCPD

QRT
is there a way to get back to 1.11.17 as sentinel will not let me and i see poorer reception on vhf hi and not picking up anything but the weather and that is weak... It seemed better on the bcd436xp at first then its like it desensed and has not had reception since about 11:00 pm est
nothing is in my recording and no hits on proscan
Put antenna on my bcd996p2 and there was actually 2 fire calls off belfry mountain wqli541 in moriah ny which is about 12 miles LOS from me...

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I listen exclusively to a P25 system, that includes phase 1 and phase 2 and historically presents simulcast problems. Noticeably less "jumping" of audio on both phases. A little better clarity on p2, p1 clarity is comparable to previous firmwares.

I will agree with Jeff's findings. I've been testing all my systems to check for improvements/degradation. Analog has not changed. P25 simulcast had "slight" improvements, but as always the decode ERR rate is all over the map. I know we've been fighting this for many years, and not sure if this will ever be resolved with the current crop of Digital Trunking Scanners.

On a CAP+ system, the one improvement I did notice was an issue I mentioned a few firmware releases ago. I have a talkgroup set up in ID Scan mode for Private Calls (i0) and have all my talkgroups set to Volume Offset of either +2 or +3. Previously when the scanner would pick up a Private Call, the scanner would revert back to (0) on the Volume Offset. Yesterday I noticed this was resolved and the talkgroup's volume was to what I programmed it. I'm not sure if this was left out of the update notes, or it's just a gift...nonetheless, it's resolved!

gary123

to roll back the firmware you need to pull the SD card and load the version of firmware you want to the Firmware folder on the SD card. When you replace the SD card and turn the scanner on this will load the firmware to the scanner.

ChrisABQ

If you hook up the scanner to the computer and simply drop the bin file into the Firmware folder and power cycle it, can you not roll back the firmware in the same manner?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If you hook up the scanner to the computer and simply drop the bin file into the Firmware folder and power cycle it, can you not roll back the firmware in the same manner?
Yep. It can be done that way, without pulling the card first.

You don't really need to power cycle it. Just disconnect the scanner properly from mass storage mode before pulling the cable, and the scanner fill do the firmware change as it shifts back into operation. Just be sure that you don't pull the batteries (or have really weak ones) while doing this.

SCPD

QRT

Sentinel says its already the latest firmware and i do not know where to download 1.11.17

Seemed more sensitive on the bands and received much better than this firmware...
I will say it started pulling in weaker stations and dmr on the new firmware 1.11.20 but after a true day and night worth of listening the reception faded away monitoring the same p25 system repeaters within 12 miles line of site... and i was very excited till it seemed to have faded away and now deafness is back...
checked my setup on my homepatrol 1e and p25 decodes great... i know its still a beta but i believe the signal receive strengths on this unit have either been increased to the point it desenses.. or the signal has decreased in sensitivity...
the reception has dropped since 1.02.07 firmware... I am willing to try anything to get the receive back that the scanner first came with new....
but as of now I just have a paperweight... and what works good for some people on simulcast does not work so great on multicast due to the receive of these units being turned down for lsm distortion....
BCD436hp is worthless untill the receive is fixed with firmware... maybe turn up the preamps and they will work again..... I see posts all over radioreference and yahoo groups about 1.03.0* firmwarereducing the receive on the bcd436hp... think maybe seeing thats the biggest offender for the reception issue maybe uniden should start fixing the 436 series... its not just 1 or 2 people... its multiple people with the issue of receive on the bcd436hp.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
I've stood close to the radio I've stood far away from the radio and still no luck on simplex DMR. Mind you I'm using the stock antenna.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

MFCJR

I monitor a few p25 phase 1 systems and a P25 phase 2 TDMA system on a BCD536HP and find no change. The P25 phase 2 TDMA never sounded that great from the start. Voices go from loud to quiet and sounds muffled. It sounds so much better on my PSR800.

SCPD

QRT
Great point... and i appreciate all thats being done honestly just it stinks for reception to just be about gone and only on this radio....
I honestly believe the 436hp is a great radio... and when the bugs are fixed we will be all ok ;)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You can go back to 1.11.17 (public release) by Clear User Data then immediately Update Firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.