Optoelectronics Scout 40 VHF/UHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbyscan

Premium Subscriber
Thought this would be the best place to ask about this equipment. If not, I'm sorry in advance.

Any serious ideas (appraisals) what the Scout would sell for. I bought it a few years ago and at that time it would only hold a four hour charge. I'm currently charging it but at this point don't know how long the battery will hold out. Just wanted some serious thoughts before I post this up for auction (Ebay). Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20131201_223225_686.jpg
    IMG_20131201_223225_686.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,611

MarkWestin

Optoelectronics appears to be still selling this model for $359.00 (antenna not included). I don't believe that it has been updated in any way. They use (always have) 650 Mah NiCd batteries in all their Frequency counters, so if it needs a new battery pack it shouldn't be very expensive. Its main claim to fame was that it could "instantly" tune any of several radios to the frequency it was picking up. Examples would be Icom R-20, AOR AR-8000 and 8200 and others. The cable needed for this tuning cost $29.00 to $79.00 depending on the model radio. As far as what to try to sell it for, my best suggestion would be to check E-Bay and Amazon to see what other recent sales amounts were.

Mark

questnz

If you want to keep it, there is few ways to change batteries. You can change to external pack or replace internal pack of 4 x AA batteries. You would need to open Scout and do some soldering. There was thread related to the batteries in Scout some tome ago also there is or was You Tube clip how to do it externally. Worth checking.

clemfm

I have one of these that only appears to lock onto frequencies from about 795MHz to 805MHz.

It was purchased from eBay and appears to be faulty as I also have next to it an Optoelectronics Xplorer which detects a multitude of transmissions in the area.

Any thoughts on resetting or repairing the Scout 40?

bbtkd

Feed Provider
I have one of these that only appears to lock onto frequencies from about 795MHz to 805MHz.

It was purchased from eBay and appears to be faulty as I also have next to it an Optoelectronics Xplorer which detects a multitude of transmissions in the area.

Any thoughts on resetting or repairing the Scout 40?

Have you tested the Scout with a transmitter within a few feet? I have owned both a Scout and Explorer and I recall the Explorer being more sensitive - so picking up things further away.

SCPD

QRT
They make a digital version now,wonder if anyone has interfaced the digital version to a scanner of some sort.
Would be cool if someone came up with a way to,these scouts seem a bit more reactive than the close call feature.
I get close calls but they are few and far between.

Status
Not open for further replies.