Orange Co

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMFD34

I will be traveling to Orange Co, CA shortly and due to memory issues on my scanner (would like to monitor around airports on the trip too) I would like to minimize what Systems I need to program to hear the Orange County PS trunking. I will be in Costa Mesa. I plan on programming the countywide cell but what other cell would I need to monitor the immediate area.

Thanks
Jeff

Markb

Premium Subscriber
An important note about the OC system is that it's not a traditional Smartzone system. Most of the fire stuff will be on the countywide cell and Costa Mesa and Santa Ana ONLY
are on the south cell, so those 2 cells should do the trick for you....

Mark

JoeyC

Mark (or anyone knowledgable): Would there be any benefit to programming the NORTH cell if one was in Fullerton or Placentia? or does the Countywide site cover the same stuff? If so, why separate cells? Will I have better reception programming the north cell when in Placentia and the Southwest cell when in Fountain Valley etc as the map on page 19 shows?

I heard once that Laguna Beach FD was only on the Laguna cell, is that true also?

I am trying to program my PSR-500 for OC. I don't have memory restrictions but I am wondering how to optimally map the fire talkgroups so that I will always have reception when traversing the county.

I am inclined to program Countywide and South and Laguna as separate systems for starters, and have a 4th system set as multi-site roaming to use as a backup duplicating all the talkgroups. Hope this makes sense.

Any input appreciated!

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Joey,

For the most part, each TG is locked to a specific cell. Most of the fire TG's are on Countywide. The benefit to programming the other cells is that a couple of TG from each zone are on the lower-level cells:

2-M/2-N - North Cell (2-N is the major incident tac assigned for structure fires and such)

3-A thru 3-E and 3-J/3-K (I think) - South Cell

4-I/4-J (not postitive if it's these 2 or not) - Nothwest Cell

5-G/5-H Laguna FD - Laguna Cell, 5-H simulcast on South Cell

5-I/5-J (same as above, not sure) South Cell

Sorry that I'm not positive on these, but I don't have the info available at the moment

So bottom line, You need to program in all cells (Except Sotuhwest) to get all the TG's, but 90% of the fire stuff is on the Countywide Cell. If you want all of the ALS hospital contact freqs, that's a whole different story.......

Mark

JoeyC

Markb said:
Joey,

The benefit to programming the other cells is that a couple of TG from each zone are on the lower-level cells:

So these local tactical TGs are on the lower-level cells exclusively and not simulcast on the Countywide cell? That would make sense.

Thanks

Markb

Premium Subscriber
JoeyC said:
So these local tactical TGs are on the lower-level cells exclusively and not simulcast on the Countywide cell? That would make sense.

Thanks

Yes, that's the case. When I get a chance, I'll confirm which TGs are on which cell....

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.