• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Orange County CCCS P25 Update

allend

Premium Subscriber
Today, MetroNet has stopped using the temporary Countywide 2L/2O TGs for major north incidents, and have switched back to the North Cell 2N/2M. For all the North major incidents with Battalions attached (Structure Fires, TC Cut and Rescues), they are now utilizing Zone 22, Tac 2N (Encrypted). The original 2N now shows out of range. It sounds like all the other fire channels and MetroNet South are still in the clear.
This will be a slow transition on the switch over so enjoy it as long as your can. The whole county fire departments will be a 100 percent encrypted soon.

gregfromtheoc

Broadcastify Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Here's a suggestion. Everyone submit a public records request to OCFA for an audio copy of the radio traffic for all incidents of a significant nature. When they complain that they are being overwhelmed by these requests, tell them to simply turn off the encryption and the public will listen for themselves.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Here's a suggestion. Everyone submit a public records request to OCFA for an audio copy of the radio traffic for all incidents of a significant nature. When they complain that they are being overwhelmed by these requests, tell them to simply turn off the encryption and the public will listen for themselves.
I mean that sounds like a good idea but who really has the time to dedicate to request a copy of each audio recording on a daily basis? I think we all get your point but this is completely un realistic. Keep in mind that the OCFA and all of the Fire Departments in OC are a government agency and they have all the time in the world to provide these request. The average people daily are working just to survive and pay their bills. We do not have all the time in the world unless I won the lotto then I would raise my hand to do this for the greater good

:)

gregfromtheoc

Premium Subscriber
Today, MetroNet has stopped using the temporary Countywide 2L/2O TGs for major north incidents, and have switched back to the North Cell 2N/2M. For all the North major incidents with Battalions attached (Structure Fires, TC Cut and Rescues), they are now utilizing Zone 22, Tac 2N (Encrypted). The original 2N now shows out of range. It sounds like all the other fire channels and MetroNet South are still in the clear.
Hey, Nathan, what is OnScene TV's position on this? I would think it would seriously impact their business in Orange County.

Anderegg

Premium Subscriber
Could perhaps make a custom html script that would generate a public records audio recording request for every incident that comes out over PulsePoint, for every agency in the Orange County area, every day. #bruteforce :)

Paul

gregfromtheoc

Premium Subscriber
I mean that sounds like a good idea but who really has the time to dedicate to request a copy of each audio recording on a daily basis? I think we all get your point but this is completely un realistic. Keep in mind that the OCFA and all of the Fire Departments in OC are a government agency and they have all the time in the world to provide these request. The average people daily are working just to survive and pay their bills. We do not have all the time in the world unless I won the lotto then I would raise my hand to do this for the greater good

:)
Understood. However, it doesn't need to be done every day. Just regularly enough that the recordings would still be available and OCFA can figure out that the requests will continue until the encryption is turned off.