Orange County CCCS P25 Update

allend

Premium Subscriber
Today, MetroNet has stopped using the temporary Countywide 2L/2O TGs for major north incidents, and have switched back to the North Cell 2N/2M. For all the North major incidents with Battalions attached (Structure Fires, TC Cut and Rescues), they are now utilizing Zone 22, Tac 2N (Encrypted). The original 2N now shows out of range. It sounds like all the other fire channels and MetroNet South are still in the clear.

This will be a slow transition on the switch over so enjoy it as long as your can. The whole county fire departments will be a 100 percent encrypted soon.

gregfromtheoc

Broadcastify Feed Provider
Feed Provider
Here's a suggestion. Everyone submit a public records request to OCFA for an audio copy of the radio traffic for all incidents of a significant nature. When they complain that they are being overwhelmed by these requests, tell them to simply turn off the encryption and the public will listen for themselves.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Here's a suggestion. Everyone submit a public records request to OCFA for an audio copy of the radio traffic for all incidents of a significant nature. When they complain that they are being overwhelmed by these requests, tell them to simply turn off the encryption and the public will listen for themselves.

I mean that sounds like a good idea but who really has the time to dedicate to request a copy of each audio recording on a daily basis? I think we all get your point but this is completely un realistic. Keep in mind that the OCFA and all of the Fire Departments in OC are a government agency and they have all the time in the world to provide these request. The average people daily are working just to survive and pay their bills. We do not have all the time in the world unless I won the lotto then I would raise my hand to do this for the greater good

:)

gregfromtheoc

Feed Provider
Today, MetroNet has stopped using the temporary Countywide 2L/2O TGs for major north incidents, and have switched back to the North Cell 2N/2M. For all the North major incidents with Battalions attached (Structure Fires, TC Cut and Rescues), they are now utilizing Zone 22, Tac 2N (Encrypted). The original 2N now shows out of range. It sounds like all the other fire channels and MetroNet South are still in the clear.

Hey, Nathan, what is OnScene TV's position on this? I would think it would seriously impact their business in Orange County.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Could perhaps make a custom html script that would generate a public records audio recording request for every incident that comes out over PulsePoint, for every agency in the Orange County area, every day. #bruteforce :)

Paul

gregfromtheoc

Feed Provider
I mean that sounds like a good idea but who really has the time to dedicate to request a copy of each audio recording on a daily basis? I think we all get your point but this is completely un realistic. Keep in mind that the OCFA and all of the Fire Departments in OC are a government agency and they have all the time in the world to provide these request. The average people daily are working just to survive and pay their bills. We do not have all the time in the world unless I won the lotto then I would raise my hand to do this for the greater good

:)

Understood. However, it doesn't need to be done every day. Just regularly enough that the recordings would still be available and OCFA can figure out that the requests will continue until the encryption is turned off.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes there are big chases thru Orange County and it does not make it to the RED channel. It just might be CHP running the pursuit on their VHF Low Band system.

EMTJD

Just found out a few weeks ago and confirmed that all of public safety will be 100 percent AES-256 bit encrypted when the cut-over to P-25 happens in the next couple of months.

Yes, and I mean everything including fire talk-groups too. All of their new Motorola APX radios that were issued a couple of months ago all the zones show the AES-256 symbol on the screen. The County of Orange wanted full encryption almost 20 yrs ago but at the time all they got was LE on-board. Now all of the fire agencies will be encrypted too now. This go around it looks like it was agreed across the board that they are taking everything away.

Not good news. Very horrible news moving forward for the industry and the scanner industry.

I know. Not good. I was living in Huntington Beach from 1994-2004 and remember the day they “flipped the switch”. One day I’m hearing HBPD and having a great time. The next day? Nothing. Zilch. Nada. It was all gone. Only CHP. No other LE in Orange County. You’ll still hear the “RED” channel, but that’s it.

EMTJD

Thanks, Fireinoc.. There is also the air to air freqs that would continue to be active.

I live in LACo and work at Pepperdine. My scanner was invaluable to me during the Woolsey Fire last year, as it has been for over 40 years now. I'd hate to think that this hobby is going away. Let's see what the future holds for not only the ORCo CCCS, but also LARICS and the new Ventura Co system.

WHAT “new Ventura County system”? I live in Simi and I’m a photographer for VCFD. I haven’t heard anything about any “new system”. Can you elaborate?

EMTJD

Is it me, but why is OCFA and other OC Fire Departments going with encryption when they are on the Pulse Point app? It's like locking the front door but leaving the rest of the doors open.

Maybe they’ll drop participation in PulsePoint when the encryption happens? No point in being on PulsePoint if everything else is “closed” to us.

mdfillipp

Database Admin
This will be a slow transition on the switch over so enjoy it as long as your can. The whole county fire departments will be a 100 percent encrypted soon.

I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank you, sir, for repeatedly beating us over the head with that. (n)

From the news I heard and from a good source that everything will be gone for Public Safety. This is to keep in line with "First Responder Safety"

Are these the same sources that told you that all OC FDs were cutting-over on 4/08 ?

Am I the only one NOT seeing this ? The CC signal on the 'North' is so bad in the North that there's no way all of the towers have been brought online already. 'same goes for the NW and the SW.

And I just heard ANA Fire run a call on 2L the other day.

All in all, this is going so much faster than the original timeline that appeared in that one PDF doc. I'm stunned they've taken so much of the old system offline to complete this in a hurry. And there doesn't really seem to be any great increase in radio traffic on the remaining cells.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Am I the only one NOT seeing this ? The CC signal on the 'North' is so bad in the North that there's no way all of the towers have been brought online already. 'same goes for the NW and the SW.

I am not seeing this. The North Cell appears to be booming all along the 91 from LA County to Riverside MetroNet had cut over to the new North Cell about 2 weeks ago. I heard several incidents assigned to 2N "in zone 22", which is where the new zone 2 system is located in their radios.
One in particular was an aircraft incident at Fullerton Airport (not the fatality last week) about 2 weeks ago and apparently everyone was showing "out of range" because they were on the old 2N. Didn't get the memo. 6B and 6C were in use as well during that time.

As I type this, all North Cell assigned PD's are on the P25 North Cell.
I am sure that fire is having some growing pains going to P25, so they are likely switching back to their trunked alternate TG at times.
b5501d556f5ce4fb9bb25761b4123283.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mdfillipp

Database Admin
MetroNet had cut over to the new North Cell about 2 weeks ago....................As I type this, all North Cell assigned PD's are on the P25 North Cell.
Story of my life: late to the party, and with no gift, to boot.

I heard several incidents assigned to 2N "in zone 22", which is where the new zone 2 system is located in their radios.
Alright. 'hearing 'OCC' assign MEDs in Zone 26. At first glance, 'looks like the HSP-OCC talkgroups were left in the clear. Hopefully that means the new 6A will be left in the clear, as well.

The North Cell appears to be booming all along the 91 from LA County to Riverside
Wow. Have I really been confusing a weak signal with the infamous simulcast distortion all this time ? 'would have thought I would have heard it on other systems by now (ie SCE, etc). 'guess they're not simul.

Unitrunker apparently doesn't work consistently well with LSM. 'tried SDRTrunk and didn't like it. 'tried getting DSD+ to work but was only able to get it recognize a P25 signal with no addition details. How's yours setup ?