Orange County P25 Encrypted or just Phase 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

netcadpro

Premium Subscriber
Are the sheriff and police talkgroups really encrypted, or are they just garbled as a result of them using the P25 Phase 2? From what I have read, only the GRE800 will listen to prelim Phase 2 digital and no scanner can decode Phase 2 in its final form (as of yet anyways). More specifically the RR info states Motorola X2 TDMA is used on certain talkgroups...this is what I mean by Phase 2 prelim...

Last edited:

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Are the sheriff and police talkgroups really encrypted, or are they just garbled as a result of them using the P25 Phase 2? From what I have read, only the GRE800 will listen to prelim Phase 2 digital and no scanner can decode Phase 2 in its final form (as of yet anyways). More specifically the RR info states Motorola X2 TDMA is used on certain talkgroups...this is what I mean by Phase 2 prelim...

Clarify Orange County. There are several Orange Counties accross the US

netcadpro

Premium Subscriber
I had read that post earlier, before I posted my question. I have always just assumed they were encrypted because of the garbled noise on those TG's. I guess I should have rephrased my question. Who here has attempted to listen using a PSR-800? Was there any difference. I'm just trying to determine if it is a decoding issue because Orange County is using some TG's in X2 TDMA mode. Which ALL scanners except the PSR-800 cannot follow. I have read other posts that indicate encrypted TG's are silent as opposed to garbled. I don't know if that's true, but I have read it more than once.

trooper890

Orange Co.

Orange County FL is not phase II. It is Phase I P25, with all LEO traffic running in encrypted/secure mode.

The only agency running TDMA in central Florida at this time is City of Apopka, and agencies they support. Its secure too.

Hope this helps. If and when they do go to Phase II, it will still be secure, and not monitorable (law comms)

Status
Not open for further replies.