Orange County Scanning Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc800

Recently, I have been having a hard time hearing 800MHZ transmissions from Orange County on my Pro-97. The only thing I hear occassionally is Central polling a domestic or MVA. The Police and Sheriff talkgroups have gone totally quiet for me.

However, when I put my scanner onto search mode, I can hear NJSP calling out Traffic Stops to Troop B 4-Comm and 5-Comm, and they sound like I am sitting right next to the trooper in the squad car.

Maybe it is just where in the house my scanner is located that I am not picking up EDACS Control Signals?

moonies

alot depends on the location you are listening from. Usually,800 will have a shorter distance in reception than other frequency ranges outside of skip conditions. Also, see if you are obtaining the control channel when it trunks track.other than that and the type/height of your antenna it really is line of sight. I can hear njsp in some areas and goes deaf on other locations. I have specific mobile and portable antennas I use for the range I want to hear. This sometimes works.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I can get Beacon, Arden, Graham and Sam's Point NYCOMCO sites from my residence in Orange County...Beacon and Sam's Point full bars...Graham about 3 and Arden 1-2. I hear NJSP about the same I get Arden...needless to say they are putting out a good amount of power.

When I used to dispatch in OC, we used NYCOMCO's system and used to say that when the leaves came back on the trees the coverage went to crap. No joke.

I have written numerous letters to NYCOMCO about the problems with their system. Their problems could be easily corrected if all the sites were voted and simulcasted. Their response was if you're not satisfied with our service, choose another system. This is why many agencies have dumped it....Monroe, Blooming Grove, Shawangunk, Crawford, Highlands, etc. to name a few.

I used an EDACS system in Miami-Dade county, FL that was voted and simulcated and I talked from Broward County to to the top of the Keys on portable. It's just a matter of building the system right. Look at the piecework at the 911 center. Same vendor. Am I making my point yet.

SCANdal

Silent Key
D E T A I L S - D E T A I L S - D E T A I L S - D E T A I L S

sc8,

You are describing symptoms to three or four different problems here and haven't provided enough details to help with any of them.

0) Because your profile is incomplete, where are you trying to hear this traffic from?

1) What tower(s) are you trying to hear the Sheriff's off of? Are we talking about the Orange County Sheriff's Department? What do you mean by "Police"? The Orange County Police 800 talkgroups or a specific police agency's talkgroups?

2) When you go "into search mode" and start picking up SPNJ traffic, what bank (0 thru 9) are you searching? What bank(s) do you have the NYComCo tower(s) programmed in?

3) What online information source are you using / did you use when you programmed your scanner?

SCANdal

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

4) Have you reprogrammed your scanner for the rebanded sites?

sc800

To answer the questions asked

1) "Sheriff" refers to the Orange County Sheriff talkgroup on NYCOMCO 800; "Police" refers to the Police talkgroup on the same systems.

2) I am not searching a bank, I don't think, I just hit search, it is group 3 Police/Fire

3) I used RR and NF2G.

4) Rebanded as of when? This may be the problem.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Group 3 search just scans through a fixed list of conventional frequencies. You need to program the system into a bank and add the talkgroups you want to hear. If you are not using Win97 to program the radio things will be much harder. If I've misunderstood and you do use Win97, post the program file here and someone can figure out what is wrong.

D

DaveNF2G

If you had referred to the NF2G Scannist Pages recently, then you would have noted (hopefully) that some of the sites have been rebanded and that new frequencies have been posted there.

Larryfire26

Premium Subscriber
Have a Uniden BCD396T Not Trunking at all

Can anyone help here?

I have all the conventional channels programmed in! I also downloaded all the Nycomco Trunked systems for Orange, dutches county from RR. Yet my radio still has not heard a single broadcast! Would anyone have a file to upload of their 396 so I can see what was done wrong with the programming?

Thanks in advance

Larry

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
The radioreference database for the NYCOMCO EDACS sites is wrong. Their is no Warwick site and the LCN's are not in the correct order. They are also missing some frequencies since rebanding.

Dave's site www.nf2g.com has the sites correct. All of Orange County on www.eastcoastscanning.com including the trunked information is correct. SCANdal and I are both Moderator's for Orange County and update it regularily.

I've sent in the updated info for the RR database numerous times, but it has not been updated.

If you are still having problems, drop me a pm and I'll e-mail you a 396 file.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Larryfire26 said:
Would anyone have a file to upload of their 396 so I can see what was done wrong with the programming? Thanks in advance Larry

I sent you the .usd files for Beacon, Arden, Graham and Sam's Point EDACS as well as Orange and Rockland County conventional. Let me know how that works out for you. If you don't have the Uniden 396 software, you can download it for free from their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.