Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtech

This post might better fit in the TV/home audio section, but thought someone here might know the answer to my problem. I moved into an existing home with a satellite dish mounted on the roof. I removed it and put one of the small "digital tv" beam antennas on the mast. I hooked the balun to the coax and started pulling in 30-40 stations. My problem is that whenever it rains, even sprinkles, the signal drops to nothing and I only get one or two of the strongest channels in my city. When it dries up, it starts picking up again. Question: is it an issue with the antenna not being grounded properly? Balun getting wet? I am using the same coax the dish was hooked to. I used a similar antenna in the attic at my old house with none of these issues. Any ideas? Thanks

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Somewhere (probably the grounding block where the coax enters the house) is allowing water to get inside the coax cable. Check all your connections immediately after it rains and you have this problem, and see which one of the connectors has water in it, and replace it.

sgtech

Yes, could put it in the attic, but thought it would do a better job of reception outside. Plus, I didn't have to move the coax... was being kind of lazy I know.

prcguy

If water gets in the coax via connectors to the extent reception is lost, it would probably not dry up and work for quite awhile. I would say the problem is water getting into something that is able to dry out or drain quickly. TV transformers made for indoor use but used outside would be my guess.

Can you post some close up pics of the antenna, transformer and connections?
prcguy

wtp

mine is in the attic

down here with the high winds it seened to make sense. and i used the cable companys rg6
got rid of cable years ago and was using rabbit ears on some and the attic one on others.

Status
Not open for further replies.