Otg device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

se

Hello All.

I would like to know which one of these OTG devices is the best for connecting my SDRplay receiver to my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 inch tablet?

Thanks Sheldon.

ab5r

You did not list any OTG's to select. However, it is a standard USB out of the SDRPlay and what ever is need on your tablet.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

There is only one device shown that maybe applicable.

If there is only one port used for both OTG and charging, then you want a cable that can do both. I had to buy a special cable for my Dell Venue 8 to do both. Otherwise the battery on the tablet will drain fast as it powers both the Samsung and the SDRPlay.

You need something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/SimulCharge-1-port-Adapter-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B00MOQFUQM

73 Eric

se

Hello.

In regards to that item in the link you provided to me, can I connect my SDRplay directly to it? Are there any videos showing off that type of setup?

Thanks Sheldon.

br0adband

The tablet you mentioned will power the SDRplay directly as an OTG device but you won't be able to charge /power the tablet at the same time from an external power source. The device that Eric linked to above provides that capability: use OTG devices like the SDRplay while being able to charge/power the tablet from an external power source at the same time.

The OTG adapter would connect to the tablet, then you attach a charger/external power source on the charging port (on the side of the device) of the OTG adapter - at that point you then plug the SDRplay into the device port on the OTG adapter and you're done, basically.

Seems a bit pricey to me but I suppose. Here's another one that potentially could work as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Cable-Power-Samsung-AtomicMarket/dp/B009YPYORM

for only $10 + shipping. Not quite as "advanced" as the one linked by Eric above but then again the basic concept here isn't that advanced to begin with. Realize the more expensive one comes with a charger/power adapter while this cheaper one is just a simple Y-adapter cable but it can get the job done just the same (or it should). It's entirely possible it might not work, there's only one way to know for sure and that would be buying one and see what happens.

As for a video of an SDRplay being used with an Android tablet, no better source than the maker of the product doing a demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMiPVgFbgl8

Realize that SDR Touch is somewhat limited in overall functionality but it does actually work but it hasn't been updated in some time and may never receive any updates in the future either (the developer works for Amazon now).

Status
Not open for further replies.