Ottawa County MPSCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakeboatnut

This evening I did a rare thing for me, i decided to monitor the local police agencies in Ottawa county. I am more of a Fire/EMS/Railroad kind of guy. Also I do monitor MSP, as i say though generally not PD/Sheriff. After listening for a couple of hours and not hearing a single thing I went to check the database to see if there had been any changes made. Everything appeared to be the same as it always has. Then at the top of the page I noticed one line that said Ottawa County uses MPSCS for Police and Ambulance, this was news to me. About that time I did Start hearing activity on the normal Sheriff/Police channels. However I continued the search. Checking Ottawa county central dispatch authority's web page I dug deep and found references to a new radio system being built, which included new towers. Does anyone know anything about this? Evidence would seem to suggest that Ottawa county may be joining MPSCS or perhaps building their own system. In the past I know the Fire Chiefs were against this move due to unreliable in-building performance during tests. Perhaps this is why it also mentions upgrading the Current VHF System. Perhaps the plan is to operate much the way Allegan County does with the Police on a trunked system and Fire remaining on VHF.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
MPSCS Talk Groups

Ottawa County (70) Talkgroups

DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
3031 bd7 D 70DRUG Countywide Narcotics Enforcement Common Law Tac
3324 cfc D 70P911 Central 9-1-1 Police - Dispatch Law Dispatch
3325 cfd D 70COM Countywide Common (Mutual Aid all agencies) Interop
3554 de2 D 70MED1 EMS-to-Lakeshore Hospital Hospital
3556 de4 D 70HOSP EMS-to-Hospital Hospital
3568 df0 D 70MCA Medical Control Authority Hospital
3581 dfd D 70STATW Statewide Roaming Multi-Talk
6125 17ed D 70EOC Emergency Mgmt. [Patched to 158.820 MHz] Emergency Ops
6127 17ef D 70HEALTH County Health Dept. EMS-Talk

This evening I did a rare thing for me, i decided to monitor the local police agencies in Ottawa county. I am more of a Fire/EMS/Railroad kind of guy. Also I do monitor MSP, as i say though generally not PD/Sheriff. After listening for a couple of hours and not hearing a single thing I went to check the database to see if there had been any changes made. Everything appeared to be the same as it always has. Then at the top of the page I noticed one line that said Ottawa County uses MPSCS for Police and Ambulance, this was news to me. About that time I did Start hearing activity on the normal Sheriff/Police channels. However I continued the search. Checking Ottawa county central dispatch authority's web page I dug deep and found references to a new radio system being built, which included new towers. Does anyone know anything about this? Evidence would seem to suggest that Ottawa county may be joining MPSCS or perhaps building their own system. In the past I know the Fire Chiefs were against this move due to unreliable in-building performance during tests. Perhaps this is why it also mentions upgrading the Current VHF System. Perhaps the plan is to operate much the way Allegan County does with the Police on a trunked system and Fire remaining on VHF.

lakeboatnut

Thanks for the info, I think some of these talk groups may be setup for testing purposes. From my research it seems the plan is to complete installation of the new system sometime in 2017, then begin testing, after that is complete it will be decided how they will use the system. At least that's the way it's written.

jack3726

Could you post the link to the documents that you are talking about. If these TG's are in use(are they??) then how much are they being used if at all. Maybe the county is going to join MPSCS or build a new system as you describe.

lakeboatnut

jack3726

Thank you for sending the link. I read this as them joining MPSCS, to what extent not sure. I don't believe they will have a setup like Allegan County has had or will have with the new system they will install. Probably PD will go on it and fire will remain on VHF and will convert over time if I had to guess. Is Allegan county dispatching on MPSCS for fire or on the system they have. I see know mention of TGID's for ottawa county fire in the DB under MPSCS either like you do for Allegan.

lakeboatnut

Ronaldski, thank you for that link. One thing I noticed was only 1 tower for Ottawa County, if this is true could the county join with only 1 tower.

I wouldn't think so, seems you would want some redundancy in the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rki616

From what I understand Ottawa is moving to the state system or some variation of that. I believe they are starting to install equipment now. But Ottawa is not my primary monitoring area so I'm not sure what or where they are in the process.

ScanKent

Premium Subscriber
I believe Ottawa will be a 10 or 11 site simulcast system and is scheduled to be completed at the end of next year. The VHF fire repeaters are being upgraded as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.