Ottawa EDACS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveH

Still some limited activity on two TGs 355 (enc) and 818 (not listed) with a handful of radios. System still has 6 LCNs working.

Dave

fmoore

As of this morning dispatch is in the clear and I can confirm the above list. 2-107 is Special Ops 3. Can we have this added to the database?

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
As of this morning dispatch is in the clear and I can confirm the above list. 2-107 is Special Ops 3. Can we have this added to the database?
You need to submit it to the database. Admins don't necessarily take the info discussed in a thread then add it to the database (all the time). It should be submitted properly.

fmoore

I have made a submission, thanks for informing me of the fact that it might not be submitted directly from here.

DaveH

So the EDACS system 0001 was "deprecated" when there was still activity on it (albeit a very small amount), and six active LCNs, as of a few days ago.

I guess it's still there if they need it...

Dave

DaveH

EDACS TGs 356 and 362 were active last night, albeit at a very low level with few RIDs; still 6 active LCNs.

Dave

DaveH

I recall the early EDACS days before about Nov. 1996 when Ottawa Police were analog/clear. Scanner could follow a conversation
at times when not too many users were active (except for those darned beeps).

First system the data slicer I built in 1998 (still in use!) decoded was EDACS (either that or the big Moto Type I System).

PRO-92 bought in 2000 still working great, was left on OFS most of the time; but now only on 850MHz LTR still active
mostly on Quebec side.

Dave

mmisk

OK Dave, thanks.
Time for more memories.
I recall after OPF went provoice, I began to search for an audio decoder. [ I thought they switched to provoice in late 1999?]
I found DSD, at first it only worked in linux until it was ported to Windows.
I eventually bought a used BC245XLT that could be controlled form the early version of Unitrunker.
Unitrunker supported the control codes for many scanners.
So Unitrunker decoded the EDACS data stream, and sent the control codes to the BC245.
The BC245 would follow the provoice talk groups, then I would send the raw audio to DSD.

Later on I found an early model PSR 600, that would track provoice.
The later models would skip provoice. Don't know why they did that.
Anyway, listening to provoice was now much easier, I only had to send the audio to DSD using the PSR 600's usb connection, or a direct discriminator tap. The audio was quite good, not like their P25 system now...the audio is terrible, and the PSR 600 just produces totally garbled audio, however fleetnet sounds not bad.

Good old days. Lots of fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.