ottawa fire department

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhead

i am looking for the ottawa fire department talk around channel.
how do i get that on my scanner. i have the the talkgroup in my scanner.
but ween thay go to the talk around, i do not pick them up.
please help. thanks

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Can't believe that it's true.

The engineer that designed that system would be in deep doodoo if anything ever happened because a trunked channel fired up and wiped out there simplex comm's at a scene.

There's got to be actual talkaround frequencies that are separate from the system.

DaveH

I also doubt very much that trunked channels would be used in talk-
around mode within the coverage area of the system. Since OFS moved
to 850MHz I've been searching on and off for their simplex and VR
frequencies and found nothing; apparently nobody else in Ottawa has
either.

The obvious places to look would be 852-854MHz, 857-858MHz, and
868-869MHz. VR usage is fairly infrequent, and simplex less so (that I hear
reference to). ICALL/ITAC is a possibility.

I've had some Close-Call hits from on-scene vehicles, but only for the
regular trunked channels.

I figure that if someone with the right connections wanted this info, they'd
have it by now.

Speaking of the EDACS system, CBSA shows up as a user in TAFL, and
ALL 25 (previously unlisted)(for our own good of course) system pairs are
shown under callsign VX9DFW; wonder how long before that hole gets
plugged?

Dave

Last edited:

DaveH

IdleMonitor said:
I believe this had been prev. discussed in the easternontarioscanning yahoo group. And that was what the conclusion was. Same freqs. as the system, just in simplex mode.

And I think it is a wrong conclusion...

Dave

BC_Scan

If I may be permitted to chime in from the "Best Coast" of Canada, there are similarities to Vancouver's EDACS system and Ottawa's, Vancouver went live in 1999, it is a GVRD wide system encompassing many municipalities , all Police RCMP & Municipal , Vanc, Delta , NEw West , Port Moody etc went this system,
Vanc fire went from 151 mhz to 800 overnight,
your 800 mhz freq's are similar to what ours are,
Vanc Fire has 16 channel radios , 3 fire ground tactical channels on the radios are T3 866.1875 simplex w ctcss (freq is not part of any trunk) , T4 853.2625 (ctcss), T5 853.5125 (ctcss) all simplex
here in the west IC has give the band of 851 mhz-854 mhz almost exclusive simplex use, the most recent example is the 2010 Winter Olympic village for the participants is being built and the construction company uses a dozen or so simplex channels all 851-854 mhz, I have also logged other groups here throught out the lowermainland using these freq's all low power simplex, the only exception is athe the local airport in Richmond (old CP now Air Canada uses a 12 channel very low power trunk w/8 freqs at 851 -854 then four freq's from 862-865, you drive away from the airport and once you've climbed over the Arthur laing bridge into Vancouver up Granville st you have practically lost signal so IMHO I would suspect what you are looking for is between 851-854 mhz . With a few execptions other simplex in use by Police and fire here programmed by -E-Comm is 866.1875 & 866.2625 (not in use as a repeater pair?) yes we use the ITAC's as well but not by fire , only Police.
I don't see IC allocating these any differently in the west than the east due to our proximity to Washington state & Ottawa's proximity to New York state.

Status
Not open for further replies.