P 25 Phase II and NXDN In Boston Area ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Have a GRE PSR 500, but now at my age, I find it very hard to program and use.
Am thinking about selling it, and possibly purchasing that new Uniden BCD 436HP.

Apparently, other than the usage bells and whistles, all it offers more than my present GRE is the ability
to listen to P25 Phase II

Questions:

a. Is there any/much P25 Phase II in the greater Boston now ?

I live in the Framingham area, about 20 miles due West of Boston, but can hear Boston pretty well
also.

b. Lots of posts regarding the new Uniden's inability to grab NXDN or DMR
Frtankly, have no idea what these modes are, or who uses them.

Any of these in my area presently ?

Any idea as to how any of the above may, or will, change in the next few years ?

Will use my Sr. Citizen status now for my ignorance, but any thoughts on all of this would be most appreciated. (what do you think of the new Uniden unit ?)

Thanks, and Happy Holidays,
Bob

steve9570

Member WSAG-457 -KB1-KZW- KCP-2441 CB-WA1-BZG
Premium Subscriber
Hi Bob welcome.

I live next door in Natick after 28 years in Framingham. Lucky so far only the State Police has gone p25 along with the MBTA I miss listening to the buses and trains. But most of the local depts are still analog.
I get Boston to plus all the local cities and towns. Got a scanner in the car and in the living room and next to the bed! My wife is used to it after 33 years. Happy Holidays to you and yours ! Steve

ecps92

a.) Only the MSP in Western Mass is P25 with the exception of the 700 that is being phased in, Eastern Mass is Analog

b.) MBTA is not P25, it's ProVoice

c.) As for NXDN, TRBO etc some Business Ops and now sprouting in the DPW World. But a Scanner Alone will not allow monitoring it requires DSD (Google, or look in the wiki) and a computer

Hi Bob welcome.

I live next door in Natick after 28 years in Framingham. Lucky so far only the State Police has gone p25 along with the MBTA I miss listening to the buses and trains. But most of the local depts are still analog.
I get Boston to plus all the local cities and towns. Got a scanner in the car and in the living room and next to the bed! My wife is used to it after 33 years. Happy Holidays to you and yours ! Steve

BOBRR

From OP: Pro Voice And "700 Being Phased In" ?

Hi,

a. What is "the 700 that is being phased in," please ? (700 ?)

b. Any scanners pick up Pro Voice ?

Happy Holidays,
Bob

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No scanner can get ProVoice out of the box. As was alluded to earlier, you can do it with a discriminator tapped scanner and either the DSD or DSDPlus utilities. But setup and installation is not a trivial matter.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.