P25 one sided comms

Status
Not open for further replies.

wokkaman

Relatively new to picking up P25 via the 396XT, there are a few location here in the UK that use P25 comms, i'm getting some of the conversation but it appears to be the mobile rather than base (control) so only hearing one side of the conversation, has anyone experienced this and/or know what settings I may have installed incorrectly?
Thanks

xtech

I think it's likely either:

A) you are listening to conventional p25 channels, and are listening to the input frequency instead of the repeater output frequency.

OR B) you are listening to a trunked p25 system and you have the system or control channel improperly programmed.

wokkaman

It may be a crued way of finding the control channel but I've used a straight forward scanner to search an area and found a constant active data channel believed to be the control channel or "repeater output frequency", I've then programmed this into the 396XT with waht i think are the correct settings.
I must point out that P25 comms are relatively new here in the UK with only a few users (military) so it's difficult to know exactly what the correct settings are, there are also in the 400Mhz area.
So if anyone out there has had the same issue with only receiving one side of the conversation then I would be interested in any program setting to try.
BTW I've made changes to the P25 adjust mode as per this link:P25 audio decode level adjustment - The RadioReference Wiki

troymail

Silent Key
Or C: You could be hearing one side(in the clear) of an half encrypted conversation.

HH

I'd go with this one.....

Although not a P25 system, my local system has a few talkgroups are full time encrypted (both sides) - or supposed to be. On rare occasion, the dispatcher can be heard talking to someone but the field/car side is never heard.

On our State P25 system, I routinely hear one side in the clear and the other as encrypted noise (on my PSR800). The users have been heard saying "this is in clear mode" and "I'm going to switch to 'encoded'".

I believe the default on the Uniden radios is to not even stop on encrypted activity (even though it isn't possible to decrypt it).

Status
Not open for further replies.