P25 Phase I vs P25 Phase II

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I couldn't seem to locate this anywhere easily so I'm asking the question. What is the main difference between P25 Phase I and P25 Phase II? Is it really worth the money to switch scanners? Thanks.

troymail

Silent Key
I couldn't seem to locate this anywhere easily so I'm asking the question. What is the main difference between P25 Phase I and P25 Phase II? Is it really worth the money to switch scanners? Thanks.

With Phase II, each Phase I frequency can have two conversations assigned to it (double the capacity).

Only the PSR800 (and in January the new Uniden's) can receive these.

With regard to Phase II only - it only matters if you have a true Phase II system that you want to monitor. There may be other reasons to "upgrade".

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
It's going to make all the difference in the world to a digital trunked system near you by 1/1/2017 (unless the agency in question gets permission to extend said deadline). All 700MHz and 800MHz public safety will need to use 6.25KHz channels by then. It's my guess that most if not all will opt for P25 Phase II in order to meet this requirement. So you've probably got a couple years to think it over. ;)

-AZ

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's going to make all the difference in the world to a digital trunked system near you by 1/1/2017 (unless the agency in question gets permission to extend said deadline). All 700MHz and 800MHz public safety will need to use 6.25KHz channels by then.

That applies only to 700 MHz, not 800 MHz. In fact, 800 MHz is not even at 12.5 kHz yet, 25 kHz usage is still permitted. Also, it's 6.25 kHz efficiency, not 6.25 kHz channels. A Phase II system still uses 12.5 kHz frequencies, but by utilizing TDMA it achieves 6.25 kHz efficiency, and therefore meets the upcoming mandate.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I agree, it can get confusing, especially when they keep moving the goalposts!

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I really appreciate the explanations. My area is already P2, according to the information here, but the pricing is unreasonable at this point! And then you have to take into consideration that a lot of the areas are encrypted. Oh well....... Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.