P25 simulcast systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbrush

Since Wichita is going to this system, I sent an email to Uniden to see if they have a scanner that can handle simulcast systems. The email below is what I got from them. Guess I will hold off on buying a scanner for now.

Unfortunately there really is no current solution for the issues that come up on simulcast systems. We are going to release two new scanners in January 2014 but they are also going to experience the same kind of issues. The new scanners will mainly have the ability to support Phase II and X2-TDMA digital systems added while the current scanners will not. Again, this does not address the simulcast issues. We are working towards a solution for it but currently have not time table on when/how it will be available.

KC0CSE

Thanks for doing that...I thought maybe Unidens new scanner would have fixed the problem...I still think the PRO 106 does a better job with the problem....that's why I'm holding off to see what whistler is coming out with..

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber

bchappuie

Simulcast is a pain for us scanner users. The only real helpers I have used on my PSR-500, is to enable the 10db attenuator, and on occasion use a paper clip for an antenna. Somehow you have to get where the scanner only hears the closest transmitter site. Corner reflector, or yagi seems to help also. However, when you do that, it kind of screws up everything else you want to listen to. The only real way to eliminate it is to have a radio sync'd to the system, so it can descriminate the codes used in the voice codec.and then knows what packets to thro out and which ones to keep.
I suppose if was easy, Uniden or GRE/Whistler would have figured it out already.
I guess we just need to enjoy what we have. The next technology upgrade, puts all the voice on an encrypted IPv6 stream over LTE. Cassidan can do that today.

wise871

Database Admin
Why was the name of the Uniden sender left off the email if it was in fact from them. I'm sure Paul can easily find out which CS replied back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
I too have issues with my Co's simlcast system. I am three miles from the Comm Center and Tower, still have crap reception, There are a whole bunch of towers all around me, causing the issue. It's a bummer. Hopefully Whistler will come out with something that can handle it better. Even though, I do like my Pro 106.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Why was the name of the Uniden sender left off the email if it was in fact from them. I'm sure Paul can easily find out which CS replied back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure because it's fake... that's my opinion. Paul replied stating that is not Uniden's stance on the issue. Period. Why do you folks continue to reply as if it is the case?

dgruver911

Took a trip to ICT today with my mobile Pro197. The closer I got to the City, the better reception got, but it never got better than about 30% understandable traffic. Most of it still just a syllable or two. The best seemed to be when I was within eyesight of one of their towers. Hope someone figures out how to scan simulcast towers soon. Suppose it's too much to ask that they would update the GRE/Pro197 firmware when that comes about.

KC0CSE

simulcast

Any way if you are going to pay that much money for a Uniden Scanner they should of "FIXED THE SIMULCAST PROBLEM"!!! end of story...it is a problem we all agree and yet Uniden still over looks it..like its not there...its a fixable problem and I will pay $400.00 for your scanner. Or maybe $500...but not until you take care of the issue ...Uniden take care of your customer and listen to them!...could be I upset yes will I get over it maybe....until then I will hold on to my money Uniden...

KC0CSE

Since Wichita is going to this system, I sent an email to Uniden to see if they have a scanner that can handle simulcast systems. The email below is what I got from them. Guess I will hold off on buying a scanner for now.

Unfortunately there really is no current solution for the issues that come up on simulcast systems. We are going to release two new scanners in January 2014 but they are also going to experience the same kind of issues. The new scanners will mainly have the ability to support Phase II and X2-TDMA digital systems added while the current scanners will not. Again, this does not address the simulcast issues. We are working towards a solution for it but currently have not time table on when/how it will be available.

looks like this statement here says it all does it not?... I have not seen a statement from "upman" that Uniden fixed the problem ...He dances around it...you give him to much credit...if you can find one I will retract every thing I said...to this date there is not one I'm aware of..."worked on" is not the same as its a done deal!! so go ahead and pay the money for the same problem..

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
looks like this statement here says it all does it not?... I have not seen a statement from "upman" that Uniden fixed the problem ...He dances around it...you give him to much credit...if you can find one I will retract every thing I said...to this date there is not one I'm aware of..."worked on" is not the same as its a done deal!! so go ahead and pay the money for the same problem..

Two or three weeks ago UPMan posted video or audio of one of the new scanners monitoring such a system as he drove around, showing it is now much better. That is what I am basing it on. Yes, it will vary system to system but the sample provided was clear, which is much more concrete than a mystery email which UPMan has stated does not reflect Uniden's stance on the issue...

Take it or leave it. End of story. As far as I'm concerned, further discussion or arguing here is pointless. We wait and see.

Last edited:

bbrush

Wichita's system

When I posted the email I got from Uniden it kinda caused some thought that the email was fake.
I am not putting down any scanner company. I have had a radio shack scanner for 20 years so I could listen to the Wichita system, now that it is changing I just do not want to spend $500 on any scanner that will kinda work on a simulcast system. Thats all. If there is a scanner out there (I do not care who makes it) that works on a simulcast all the time I will buy it. Merry Christmas all.

KC0CSE

When I posted the email I got from Uniden it kinda caused some thought that the email was fake.
I am not putting down any scanner company. I have had a radio shack scanner for 20 years so I could listen to the Wichita system, now that it is changing I just do not want to spend $500 on any scanner that will kinda work on a simulcast system. Thats all. If there is a scanner out there (I do not care who makes it) that works on a simulcast all the time I will buy it. Merry Christmas all.

Like!!

Why is it so hard for Uniden to RX P25 Simulcast? I mean obviously Motorola, EF Johnson, Harris and Kenwood have figured it out? Why cant Uniden and/ Whistler use the same P25 circuitry that is in ie Motorola XTS or APX (ofcourse with some differences for scanning), and be done. Obviously those radios work on simulcast, so they most be doing something right.

lep

Why is it so hard for Uniden to RX P25 Simulcast? I mean obviously Motorola, EF Johnson, Harris and Kenwood have figured it out? Why cant Uniden and/ Whistler use the same P25 circuitry that is in ie Motorola XTS or APX (ofcourse with some differences for scanning), and be done. Obviously those radios work on simulcast, so they most be doing something right.

On difference is the companies you list make two-way radios that Talk Back, they are not making RX only as does Uniden, being able to handshake the transmitter for error correction is a significant difference.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Thats why I said "with some differences".

I think these differences are a much bigger deal than we may realize, though...it's obviously not as simple as giving the scanners the ability to receive them but something else that the radios have that scanners do not (and probably cannot).

Status
Not open for further replies.