P25 Single Frequency Trunk Isssue

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
The Chicago Fire Dept. has been testing the new system (again) for the past few days. We did a 30 day trial test some months ago and had an issue that i'd like some input on. The Dispatch uses TGID: 65535..while the Companies use TGID: 1 , both on the same frequency (478.4625 is one of the frequencies as an example). Each individual company will have a portable radio with a specific RID of course. Now comes the issue..when I tried to listen to the system, I was missing transmissions since the Dispatch and Companies were using seperate TGID's. The scanner couldn't jump back quick enough to catch the "quick" reply transmissions as in "message received" or "ok". I figured i'd work on this when the system goes live in the near future.

Here lies the next issue I discovered. Today their was testing going on and I wanted to manual/hold the channel. However, i'd here only 1 half of the conversation if I pressed hold/manual when the TGID was showing. I was using both a 396XT and 996XT and if I turned off the Radio ID feature, it show the frequency and i'd hear both sides of the conversation. I researched around a bit on here, and haven't found anyone with a workaround for this. If I leave the RID feature on,put them in their own Group, it still will sample the entire channel and miss "short" reply transmissions or cut off the beginning of them.

I know this is probably a unique situation, but if anyone that has monitored something like this, can give me your insight for the future of monitoring the system. I hate to not use the RID feature, but if it will be able to make it a more "normal" monitoring expieience, I guess that's what i'll do. In the past, I tried monitoring the 2 active channels (at the time), but still found I was missing those short replies or beginning of transmissions.

SCPD

QRT
Try either programing it as a conventional p25 system or set the P25 single frequency system delay to 0.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Try either programing it as a conventional p25 system or set the P25 single frequency system delay to 0.

Have set the delay to 0, and it's set up like a convential system with only 1 frequency per channel. The issue I see is two different talkgroups for the Dispatch Center and the Mobile Units. It's like trying to monitor 2 different convential frequencies with base and mobile, and Radio ID's between them. I see no other way other than to turn off the Radio ID feature so it doesn't have to search through all the programmed Radio ID's as it will be a large system. This is probably a unique situation...or so it seems.

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
You have to enter the two talkgroups and set the delays to zero... I just figured that out the other day...

cg

Premium Subscriber
In the Motorola radios, 65535 (FFFF hex) is a Talkgroup that includes everyone. So if a Uniden scanner were to work like the radios, entering that should allow you to hear all TGIDs on that channel (obviously it doesn't). That would probably be a great Firmware change.

chris

kma371

QRT
I have the same issue here with three local PD's.

Dispatcher uses 4095 talkgroup, but everyone else uses 1 talkgroup in one freq trunk mode.

Another reason why one freq trunked systems in order to get the radio ID is a dumb idea. Just let us get the radio ID programed in a conventional P25 mode like other scanners.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
You have to enter the two talkgroups and set the delays to zero... I just figured that out the other day...

I've done just that, however the Radio ID's slow the response which misses the quick or partial replies. (Message received, ok), or the beginning of some replies.

In the Motorola radios, 65535 (FFFF hex) is a Talkgroup that includes everyone. So if a Uniden scanner were to work like the radios, entering that should allow you to hear all TGIDs on that channel (obviously it doesn't). That would probably be a great Firmware change.

chris

This is new information to me, thank you. Maybe when the system goes on line, this will change, but the recent testing was still the same, so not holding out hope. I have a 996T that I didn't plan on using for the system, but maybe will do that since it handles the programming like a Motorola radio.

I have the same issue here with three local PD's.

Dispatcher uses 4095 talkgroup, but everyone else uses 1 talkgroup in one freq trunk mode.

Another reason why one freq trunked systems in order to get the radio ID is a dumb idea. Just let us get the radio ID programed in a conventional P25 mode like other scanners.

I feel your pain. When this new system was being tested for 30 days, I did everything possible so I can still use the Radio ID feature without missing transmissions. I'm not sure if deleting the two seperate talkgroups, locking out the RID talkgroup I have set up (It still displays them even if it's locked out), so only the frequency is being scanned? Will that even work?

kma371

QRT
No because if you delete the TG that's active and scan, there's nothing for the scanner to stop on since it's locked out :)

Uniden needs to get rid of one frequency trunk. Its kind of a waste.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
No because if you delete the TG that's active and scan, there's nothing for the scanner to stop on since it's locked out :)

Uniden needs to get rid of one frequency trunk. Its kind of a waste.

Yea, didn't think so. Never gave the way Uniden uses single frequency trunk on the XT series scanners until now. I have a 996T and just programmed it by hand as it's not considered a single frequency trunk, just programmed as a P25 convential system. Now if we could just do that, with the Radio ID feature..then we'd have a winner!

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Revived this old thread

I usually don't revive my old threads, but I wanted to update my progress (or lack thereof), on utilizing the P25 Single Channel Trunk mode for this system.

We went live about 4 months and the problems I previously discussed were reborn. I've been tweaking and tweaking and haven't come to what I consider a "solution". I own both the 996XT and 396XT and have been very dissapointed with the result. I ended up returning to programming it as a Convential System and it has been alot easier to monitor, without missing ths short "blasts/replies".

I think the XT series has run it's course on Firmware upgrades as I know it's on it's way to becoming the "old" scanner of the Uniden fleet. I don't know if their's room for anymore "upgrades" to this scanner, but a future model may want to address this issue. I had a chance to program a friends Pro 106, and wasn't swayed to purchase one, so it looks like i'm a Uniden junkie.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Did the RS106 receive the CFD digital decoding as well as the 396XT after ur programming as i was going to try that model after a price drop??....TY

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Did the RS106 receive the CFD digital decoding as well as the 396XT after ur programming as i was going to try that model after a price drop??....TY

Yes Ron, it sounds perfect on both the XT's and Pro 106. I'm closer than you so not sure if it will affect your performance. I think programming the Unidens was easier though. He wasn't interested in programming Starcom or much else, so I was limited in checking systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.