• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

P25 trunk systems in Vancouver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Hey all,

I'm in YVR for a half-week for a conference and brought my radios with me. Got in late last night and monitored RCMP E Div for a while, and now I'm searching through the bands for other signals.

I have already come across one in an unusual place on the 700 MHz band (not that the RCMP's 765 MHz system isn't unusual enough).

System 6E1-BEA4C (callsign conversion: 0TD123) RFSS 001 site 001 is using a control channel of 771.1375 MHz (LCN 00-0000), with spacing 12.5 kHz. Alt CCs are 771.3875 (00-0020) and 771.8875 (00-0060). Never seen a system using a 700 MHz frequency centered on a 12.5 kHz channel before - all the ones I've found across the continent are centered on the 6.25 kHz channel, even if they use 12.5 kHz spacing. I'm picking it up full-strength from a monitoring point fairly high up near Robson & Burrard. No neighbor sites advertised.

I'll let the radio chew on this CC for a bit and see if it picks up anything. It's a "pure" phase 1 system, non-P2, non-X2, no proprietary/manufacturer-specific TSBKs found. Obviously there's no licenses visible in Spectrum Direct for this. Perchance it's a development system being built to replace the E-Comm EDACS system?

I left the subject line non-specific because I intend to search the rest of the band from 138-956 and see if I come across any other signals. If I don't find anything, we can edit it to "sys 6E1" or something later.

BC_Scan

It is E-Comm testing a new system for migration to 700, according to their website EDACS is old and tired time to update, I have been listening to their testing it for weeks now.

dwc

Database Admin
Yeah according to some RFP documents that were posted on bcbid a good 6 months ago, this system may be for temporary / demonstration purposes only. From listening to test comms on the old system and this one, it sounds like they are comparing coverage characteristics from their QE site in the South Vancouver area. The QE site was also mentioned in the document so it all seems to make sense.

As such we should expect to see a separate bid on the "new system" which I expect to be Phase 2.

Cheers,

Last edited:

VancouverScan

Premium Subscriber
New 700mhz system

It is E-Comm testing a new system for migration to 700, according to their website EDACS is old and tired time to update, I have been listening to their testing it for weeks now.
Getting back into scanning here in Vancouver. Will the new system be encrypted or with a new scanner with P25 II be able to monitor. Is there anything here in Vancouver that can be monitored, that is interesting anyway. Thank you for your reply in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.