P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martya115

Premium Subscriber
Trying to upgrade my scanner to pick up Warwick and Providence. Got a good deal on a Whistler 1040, but only if I can get it working. Downloaded Win500, still issues. Read where RI uses P25 phase I but in other places I read phase II, could that be my issue.

Thanks Marty

garys

Premium Subscriber
The RISCON system is all P25 Phase 1. Some LE channels are encrypted, but many are clear. RISP was clear last time I listened, which was a few months ago. Providence PD is clear on channel 1, but the others are encrypted.

Pawtucket was still on UHF P25 clear the last time I listened.

Check the DB here and the Wiki at Scan-ne.net for specific frequencies and talk groups.

Martya115

Premium Subscriber
P25 What am i missing

I am good with conventional channels, looking to pick up Warwick and Maybe Providence fire. I got a good deal on a Whistler 1040, I think I have the Trunking set up right but do not receive anything. Someone said that RI uses something called DMR and NXDN and the 1040 will not work. Is the problem me or did I get the wrong scanner.

Thanks Again
Marty

garys

Premium Subscriber
"Someone" is wrong. The statewide RISCON system is APCO P25. There are private ambulance services in RI that use either DMR or NXDN, but that has nothing to do with what you are trying to receive.

In Warwick, you should be able to hear all three simulcast sites. I think that the Providence site is mostly for Providence public safety, but others have some degree of access.

I think the problem is with the set up. The 1040 is pretty much the same as the GRE PSR500 or the Radio Shack version. I found the Object Oriented Scanning difficult to figure out at first, but it's versatile once you understand it.

Are you using software to program it?

I am good with conventional channels, looking to pick up Warwick and Maybe Providence fire. I got a good deal on a Whistler 1040, I think I have the Trunking set up right but do not receive anything. Someone said that RI uses something called DMR and NXDN and the 1040 will not work. Is the problem me or did I get the wrong scanner.

Thanks Again
Marty

ecps92

Keep in-mind RISCON is a Simulcast Network and experimentation with
Antenna, Type, Size, Location is critical [much experimentation] is needed for the best Scanner Reception

Looks like conventional P25 and Phase 1 P25 -- law seems to be using alot of encryption but some law dispatch is not marked encrypted...

Fire seems to be in the clear...

The state system has 3 sites... you might want to try to scan all three sites if they are in range.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4275

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2309

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin

Thanks Again
Marty

Warwick PD are conventional analog, same with Warwick Fire.

Providence Fire is on the RISCON Providence Zone (Zone 3). In the clear. P25 Phase 1.

Martya115

Premium Subscriber
My impression is that Warwick Fire switched to Riscon, at least they seemed to have disappeared from their regular frequency.

Martya115

Premium Subscriber
Still have issues with Riscon and trunking. I signed up for Radio Reference, downloaded WIN500 and let that do the programming. Tried using different sites, picking talkgroups and also wildcards, absolutely nothing. I do not live in a dead zone, I can pick up departments and trucks from 25 miles away while in the cellar with no issues. Starting to believe I got a defective scanner, Possible, conventional channels are coming in.

ecps92

Picking up Conventional Freq users and Analog TRS users is not the same as a P25 [Digital] Simulcast System. So you could be in a DEAD Zone for the Simulcast TRS, but still hear the conventional stuff fine.

Still have issues with Riscon and trunking. I signed up for Radio Reference, downloaded WIN500 and let that do the programming. Tried using different sites, picking talkgroups and also wildcards, absolutely nothing. I do not live in a dead zone, I can pick up departments and trucks from 25 miles away while in the cellar with no issues. Starting to believe I got a defective scanner, Possible, conventional channels are coming in.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
The 1040 is pretty much the same as the GRE PSR500 or the Radio Shack version. I found the Object Oriented Scanning difficult to figure out at first, but it's versatile once you understand it.

If that's the case, good luck with it. We had a PSR600 at channel 12 when I was there, and couldn't receive RISCON for crap. No matter how much I made adjustments to the system, antenna, etc. I swapped out the scanner with a Uniden 996XT, on the very same roof antenna the 600 had, and boom. It came in like a local. The facility in East Providence is adjacent to a cell tower, and I assumed (and still do) that the issue was overload and the 600 did a poor job of rejecting it. Not sure your proximity to a cell tower, but it could be the case.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Warwick Fire operations are simulcast on 153.7700 PL 103.5. Confirmed it tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.