• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P7200 face plate swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syncopations

Hears voices in my head.
Premium Subscriber
I have a scan model P7200. I also have a brand new system model face plate. If I switch the faces, how will I get RPM to see the radio as a system model, instead of scan?

TDR-94

You would just select "P7200 System" in the radio type drop down in RPM. That would be of course after you managed to get the radio itself to switch to a system model configuration,which isn't likely to happen.

Syncopations

Hears voices in my head.
Premium Subscriber
You would just select "P7200 System" in the radio type drop down in RPM. That would be of course after you managed to get the radio itself to switch to a system model configuration,which isn't likely to happen.

Why wouldn’t it be likely? What else would I have to do other than selecting P7200 System?

TDR-94

The radio requires a hyperterminal command to tell it that it is a P7200 System model beforehand. That info isn't publicly known.

Syncopations

Hears voices in my head.
Premium Subscriber
The radio requires a hyperterminal command to tell it that it is a P7200 System model beforehand. That info isn't publicly known.

I have a few hyperterminal commands. I hope someone can share the command I need for this swap.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I've been looking and the folks that know aren't sharing. From what I can tell, the feature string relies on the serial number, so if you change the serial number, then the feature string would more than likely have to change to retain the features that you currently have in the radio. I would imagine that the serial number would change from A400420xxxxx (Scan model) to A400410xxxxx (System model). I could be wrong as I'm just speculating. If the hyper-terminal command doesn't involve changing the serial number, then it shouldn't affect the features.

I gave up and ordered some NOS P7100 Scan models from Ebay for $10 each and swapped the cases, so now I have brand new looking P7200's in P7100 cases. They function great and the only thing that is different is the front label. There really is no need for the full keypad as the limited scan model has all the functions that you'd need.

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
Rescue is correct. Feature data is based on serial number. The process for changing from scan to system is not going to happen here. it is a lab tool used in Lynchburg, and they aint telling anyone. You can pay $$$$$ to have it done. The question you have to ask yourself is, is it worth it?

Syncopations

Hears voices in my head.
Premium Subscriber
I figured it would be some hyperterminal command to make the change. I have a brand new P7200 system face plate and a P7200 scan model that's seen some action out on the field. I want to change it so it looks better in the gang charger collecting dust. I recently did a scan to system change on a P7100 VHF P25, and it was painless; change tracking data, select P7100 System in RPM, program.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I wish they would have retained the method that the 7100 uses, but the OMAP series is different.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Even on the 7200, whether or not the radio is a select, scan, or system model is NOT determined by the feature string.

If I knew the command line parameters to change it around between select, scan, and system models, I'd give you that information privately.

But I don't have it. Sorry.

Yeah, the OMAP radios are different. They're much more likely to get bricked even when you do everything right. Kinda smells like garbage to me. At least when you brick one just by trying to edit the personality, you feel that way.

I have an M5300 in a CS7000 console that is in LOST MRU. Bricked by an untouched laptop installation that was working just fine previously.

That's pretty stupid.

sbk1982

The utility software allows you to change the radio from select/scan/system model. Drawing a blank on the name of that software at the moment. Did it several times changing radios from select to scan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
The radio maintenance utility?

As I recall, though it has been a while since I last touched a 7200, the ability to change a 7200 between models is notably absent from the radio maintenance utility.

I could be wrong but that's how I remember it to be.

sbk1982

Well that could be. I did it to 5100/7100’s.

sbk1982

Wow didn’t realize that until I looked today. Lame...

timkilbride

Database Admin
The OMAP radios have the serial number tied to whether its a select, scan, or system radio. While the 7100 and 7200 look identical, they are not. You would need to send the radio back to Harris and get a new serial number issued to correspond with whichever case you wanted to use.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.