PA State Police Struggle with OpenSky Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager

PSP has and uses frequencies across the VHF-High, UHF, 700 MHz, and 800 MHz spectrum. In fact, they still have some VHF-Low still in use in some areas.

Most recently, they are re-building the VHF-High system.

mlmummert

PSP has and uses frequencies across the VHF-High, UHF, 700 MHz, and 800 MHz spectrum. In fact, they still have some VHF-Low still in use in some areas.

Most recently, they are re-building the VHF-High system.

Where do they have VHF Low?

Voyager

State Correctional Facilities. Granted, not PSP now that I think about it. I think PSP still has some 42 MHz frequencies licensed.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I saw a lot of PSP Channels today in the FCC database. Just renewing old frequencies? Most are licensed for "state-wide" use.

Looks like they were modifying to remove the wideband emission.

It is still possible that PSP may have to use some of their existing frequencies to flesh out the P25 phase 2 system underway. Maintaining these licenses gives them protection...plus, some of the old VHF is stll used now and then as a back up.

VHF Hi, UHF, 700, 800 all yes. Lowband? I'd be curious to know where you've heard them using lowband PSP channels.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
State Correctional Facilities. Granted, not PSP now that I think about it. I think PSP still has some 42 MHz frequencies licensed.

PSP has no lowband equipment. Also, the DOC statewide lowband is being replaced by STARNET. Do you hear traffic on the DOC lowband channel? They've got 800 radios in any transport vehicles I see.

Voyager

PSP has no lowband equipment. Also, the DOC statewide lowband is being replaced by STARNET. Do you hear traffic on the DOC lowband channel? They've got 800 radios in any transport vehicles I see.

I've heard activity there within the past couple years, and activity on UHF in the past couple months (haven't listened to LB all that often recently).

Oh, and I said above it wasn't PSP.

SCPD

QRT
I notice some of the new PSP VHF trunking lost there FB08 after being granted. Now the old VHF channels just got rebanding for trunking few days ago. Also notice new channels for UHF being added along with Harrisburg farm show getting new channels and PL codes

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I've heard activity there within the past couple years, and activity on UHF in the past couple months (haven't listened to LB all that often recently).

Oh, and I said above it wasn't PSP.

My understanding is that DOC continues to use UHF for inside operations at their facilities but that the old lowband statewide for mobile transports has been abandoned in favor of a talkgroup on PA STARNET.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I notice some of the new PSP VHF trunking lost there FB08 after being granted. Now the old VHF channels just got rebanding for trunking few days ago. Also notice new channels for UHF being added along with Harrisburg farm show getting new channels and PL codes

The only new UHF licenses associated with PSP should be for the UCALL/UTAC interop repeaters around the state. The office in charge of STARNET was reorganized into PSP last year, so all the licenses they handle would now be going through PSP. Only other UHF use that I am aware of for PSP would be the SERT teams which utilize UHF P25 gear for on scene comms.

As far as the new VHF licenses go, there is still work going on getting things licensed properly for the migration to Phase 2. Much of that work is being handled by consultants.

phillydjdan

I can confirm that SCI Chester in Delaware County is still using their UHF channels for day-to-day communications. They come in loud and clear by me. It is my understanding that the DOC will retain those UHF repeaters and would not join the Starnet system for internal communications. You would figure that unless the Starnet antenna was on the roof they would have a hell of a time trying to use radios in such heavily fortified buildings.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
In Milford ?

while patrolling I84 in the Milford/Westfall/Matamoras area at the NY border, which is the busiest section of the Interstate in the county. That's unacceptable that the engineers couldn't even get the coverage for the Interstate figured out, and transmitting on mobile radios no less.

I just ran a quick search of the ULS for YE licenses in Pike County, and for what it's worth there are 9 sites and 13 base frequencies licensed under 8 call signs within the county's borders.

As far as the interoperability issue, those VHF mobiles in the troop cars are really the only way they can communicate directly with local law enforcement in Pike County. .

Do you hear PSP on your scanner at all i live in Milford and i NEVER hear them ! Am i missing something ? i might have the wrong frequencies plugged in Thanks

mark40

Premium Subscriber
Buckbull-

Back when C6 posted that he was referring to the deficiencies of the open sky system and lack of coverage/poor design/engineering of same. This caused them to revert to the old Vhf frequencies on an as needed basis.

Almost daily I hear the Blooming Grove Barracks at my location in Dingmans Ferry on Vhf 155.580 pl 186.2 performing radio checks at shift change. In actual use on patrol I rarely hear them, but I still monitor the frequency. Although the licensed frequencies are numerous I have not hear them used at my location

M40

Last edited:

druhe

Premium Subscriber
Other agencies ?

Something I've been thinking about and maybe someone onlist can answer. With PSP building out a new VHF system, what happens to the other users of StarNet (PEMA, PennDot, DOH, DCNR, etc) ? Will they be part of the VHF system, or will they remain on StarNet ? Or will it revert back to each agency doing their own thing ?

Last edited:

Voyager

The VHF is being touted as part of StarNet, so it will likely be one large system with multiple access points. PSP may switch primarily to VHF, but I suspect the agencies with less funding will stay where they are. Further, unless PSP accesses one of their TGs, you likely won't hear them on VHF. I've seen nothing to indicate the 800 MHz system will be dismantled. Perhaps they will phase it into a P25 system over time.

rrbum

Premium Subscriber
Somehow I got the impression that the flatlands will remain 800, while the hills will go to a p-25 vhf trunked system. Hopefully the 800 will be converted to p-25 someday and not be totally encrypted.

If I recall correctly, harris's proposal remained 800 heavy, while moneyrola tended to suggest a wider area of vhf usage.

Information has been hard for me to come by after PSP took over the handling of the system and the regular radio commision meetings seem to have stopped. (at least the posting of the minutes has stopped.)

Septa3371CSX1

I thought the plan was to build out a P25 Phase 2 system statewide to replace the Open Scam. As mentioned the urban areas (Philly, Pittsburgh, and a few others as well probably) would be 700/800 while the rural more hilly/mountainous areas would be VHF High. I assumed everyone would move to the P25 system over time. Only time will tell it seems.

dmg1969

I was wondering that too. I lived in Cumberland County when they transitioned to Open Sky. Shortly after moving to Perry County, PSP Newport made the transition too. It will be great (eventually) to hear PSP again. I would also like if Cumberland County would migrate to a new system, but who knows if that will happen or if they will remain on Open Sky.

Blaze36

Premium Subscriber
Cumberland County will have to do something.. they will be losing Commonwealth Resources such as using part of the Commonwealth System for parts of Cumberland County and possible tower resources to put in equipment and antennas. If the Commonwealth migrates to the P25 system, it will leave Cumberland on island of it's own.. Cumberland's radio devices are coming to it's end use life and the current mobiles and P7200 portables are being discontinued and will be forced to by new devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.