PA 700 MHz Air to Ground System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
You can put something on the air once the coordinator submits the app. . . . . So once the app shows up in the DB the transmitters could be fired up understanding that it may have to change freq or shut down depending on final license outcome. . . . . .

Can you reference the rule section on that? I just searched and can't find it.

Edit: Found it.

90.159 Temporary and conditional permits.
(a) An applicant for a license under this part (other than a commercial mobile radio license) utilizing an already licensed facility may operate the radio station(s) for a period of up to one hundred eighty (180) days after submitting a Form 601 application for a station license in accordance with §90.127 of this part, provided that all the antennas employed by control stations are 6.1 meters (20 feet) or less above ground or 6.1 meters (20 feet) or less above a man-made structure other than an antenna tower to which it is affixed. When required by §90.175 of this part, applications must be accompanied by evidence of frequency coordination. The temporary operation of stations, other than mobile stations within the Canadian coordination zone is limited to stations with a maximum of 5 watts effective radiated power and a maximum antenna height of 6.1 meters (20 ft) above average terrain.

(b) An applicant proposing to operate a new land mobile radio station or modify an existing station below 470 MHz or in the one-way paging 929-930 MHz band (other than a commercial mobile radio service applicant or licensee on these bands) that is required to submit a frequency recommendation pursuant to paragraphs (b) through (h) of §90.175 of this part may operate the proposed station during the pendency of its application for a period of up to one hundred eighty (180) days upon the filing of a properly completed formal Form 601 application that complies with §90.127 of this part if the application is accompanied by evidence of frequency coordination in accordance with §90.175 of this part and provided that the following conditions are satisfied:

(1) For applicants proposing to operate below 470 MHz, that the proposed station location is south of Line A or west of Line C as defined in §90.7; for applicants in the one-way paging 929-930 MHz band, that the proposed station location is west of Line C as defined in §90.7.

(2) The proposed antenna structure has been previously studied by the Federal Aviation Administration and determined to pose no hazard to aviation safety as required by §17.4 of the Commission's Rules; or the proposed antenna or tower structure does not exceed 6.1 meters (20 feet) above ground level or above an existing man-made structure (other than an antenna structure), if the antenna or tower has not been previously studied by the Federal Aviation Administration and cleared by the FCC.

(3) The grant of the application does not require a waiver of the Commission's Rules.

(4) The applicant has determined that the proposed facility will not significantly affect the environment as defined in §1.1307.

(5) The applicant has determined that the proposed station affords the level of protection to radio quiet zones and radio receiving facilities as specified in §1.924 of this chapter.

(6) The applicant has submitted an application to the Commission stating the frequency the applicant intends to use and that the frequency coordination requirements specified in §90.175 for selection and use of this frequency have been met and a minimum of ten business days has passed between submission of the application to the Commission and the onset of operation.

(c) An applicant proposing to operate an itinerant station or an applicant seeking the assignment of authorization or transfer of control of a license for an existing station below 470 MHz or in the 929-930 MHz band (other than a commercial mobile radio service applicant or licensee on these bands) may operate the proposed station during the pendency of the application for a period not to exceed one hundred eighty (180) days upon the filing of a properly completed formal Form 601 application that complies with §90.127 of this part. Conditional authority ceases immediately if the application is dismissed by the Commission. All other categories of applications listed in §90.175(i) of this part that do not require evidence of frequency coordination are excluded from the provisions of this section.

(d) Conditional authorization does not prejudice any action the Commission may take on the subject application. Conditional authority is accepted with the express understanding that such authority may be modified or canceled by the Commission at any time without hearing if, in the Commission's discretion, the need for such action arises. Consistent with §90.175(g) of this part, the applicant assumes all risks associated with operation under conditional authority, the termination or modification of conditional authority, or the subsequent dismissal or denial of its application. Authority reverts back to the original licensee if an assignee or transferee's conditional authority is canceled.

(e) The transmissions of new stations operating pursuant to conditional authority shall be identified by a temporary call sign consisting of the prefix “WT” followed by the applicant's local seven digit business telephone number as provided in §2.302. Transmissions by applicants for the modification, assignment of authorization or transfer of control of an existing station shall be identified by the station's call sign.

Last edited:

talviar

Just got into my office and was starting to search when I saw your update.

I know in a lot of the government stuff- the licenses are obtained well in advance of equipment being purchased to ensure the frequencies are locked in. That impacts design especially when you are talking about VHF trunking and the Transmit combiners involved to make sure everything will work together.

Especially with the new ERP requirements and such and what folks get with new licenses. In the old days you would have been licensed for 100 (or more) watts transmitter output and the ERP could be whatever u wanted. Now u might get an ERP of 20 Watts to meet interference guidelines and safety regs.

Have a great one!

CHAWMAN24

Large scale man hunt underway in Blair County South of Altoona. Picking up radio traffic from ground units as well as Trooper 4 on ID 182(hex) . Lots of communication being transmitted

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
182 hex would be 386 dec and was likely PSP Hollidaysburg's (G1) dispatch since 387 and 388 are G2 Bedford dispatch and G3 Huntingdon dispatch, respectively. The station talkgroups don't always fall into a neat pattern, but sometimes they do. This appears to be the case for Troop G, so far.

Did you hear Hollidaysburg station or ground units ID'ing as Hollidaysburg ## when calling on the radio?

CHAWMAN24

Didn't hear Hollidaysburg Station but I heard Holidaysburg Car #'s talking back and forth as well as portable car #'s on foot talking to each other and communicating to Trooper 4 in the air

Looking to ID TG 1616. I received a few hits with this TG 1616. Female Trooper talking about Homestead Pa.
Bill Clinton was in town the same day. I did not catch the TG description in any of the play back recordings, Just wondering if anyone was listening in and could help with the TG description.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
tg 63591

Does anyone know what was going on and where was the action happening at around 1800 on 4/24/16 using tg 63591? What ever was going on only lasted about 20 minutes.

Thanks

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Does anyone know what was going on and where was the action happening at around 1800 on 4/24/16 using tg 63591? What ever was going on only lasted about 20 minutes.

Thanks

I have to go back and see if I still have recordings. I usually delete them once I check them. There was some kind of incident going on in Cumberland County the other day. I was not home, but there had been some recordings logged from the Geigertown site. When they fly in that area, the helos will sometimes jump back and forth between Reesers Summit and Geigertown. You would think they would just stay connected to Reesers the whole time, but based on my loggings, not so much. Usually, if they are working with Cumberland, I will catch a brief portion of the comms on Geigertown with most of it, presumably, coming across Reesers. I have only been two places where I was able to receive both sites at once...Laureldale Park in Berks Co. and Bears Head Mountain up in Schuylkill Co.

I had the City of Pittsburgh DPW programmed in SEARCH for TG and that same TG ID appeaed in their freqs. Not sure why or what it was. I also played back recordings and it sounded like a CC. I haven't got a hit on that TG scanning the State 700in search.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
does anyone hear PSP helicopter in Milford pa trying to locate a kidnap suspect , if im not mistaken i read you can hear helicopter on 700

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
does anyone hear PSP helicopter in Milford pa trying to locate a kidnap suspect , if im not mistaken i read you can hear helicopter on 700

Geigertown had some traffic on it from Blooming Grove for a bit this evening...helo probably hopped off the Wilkes Barre tower or Quakertown tower for some reason. No specifics were heard that indicated what was going on but there was a command post in service.

Try checking the input side of all the repeaters on whatever side of the state you;re interested in. You may or may not be able to hear a helo if it is working in your area...you would only get their side of the traffic and would not hear anything from ground stations.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
Right over my house

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1461722816670.jpg
    FB_IMG_1461722816670.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 673

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I have to go back and see if I still have recordings. I usually delete them once I check them. There was some kind of incident going on in Cumberland County the other day. I was not home, but there had been some recordings logged from the Geigertown site. When they fly in that area, the helos will sometimes jump back and forth between Reesers Summit and Geigertown. You would think they would just stay connected to Reesers the whole time, but based on my loggings, not so much. Usually, if they are working with Cumberland, I will catch a brief portion of the comms on Geigertown with most of it, presumably, coming across Reesers. I have only been two places where I was able to receive both sites at once...Laureldale Park in Berks Co. and Bears Head Mountain up in Schuylkill Co.

I went and listened to my logs. What I had recorded was traffic from yesterday related to a wild fire on the mountain in the area of Ridge Rd and Woodrow Rd east of Shippensburg.

Talkgroups where traffic was heard were 14048 (CMB_INT), 63595, 63562, 63591.
63595 and 63562 only had a couple brief comms each. 63591 and 14048 seemed to be carrying the same traffic since what seemed to be continuous conversations were recorded on both talkgroups (hopping back and forth between the talkgroups numbers). Since I wasn't home, all i have to go by is the recordings.

I never heard a helo talk to anyone...just ground units conversing about how to access the fire (Alpha 70, Chief 50, Chief 36, Command 26, ATV 36, Tanker 49, etc).

This traffic was around for a while and then it just disappeared. So, whatever radio was bringing it to Geigertown myst have hopped to Reesers or gotten turned off.

Voyager

They must have found a band they were not on... :roll:

How many networks does it take to be able to talk to each other? PA will let you know once they get there.

sbk1982

what do people make of this , was posted a ciuple days ago . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0oKU71gjrQ

Yay microwave tower site connectivity. The microwave backbone to the statewide radio network. Has nothing to do with the radios the officers are using other than that the radio equipment is using the Alcatel-Lucent (now Nokia) connectivity from one tower to the next. This backbone also supports other capabilities like the mention of AVL which <cough> is also using the OpenSky equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.