PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 System

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I have seen TG 65536 used for FCC ID every 15 or 1/2 hour on another system
Assuming it's a Motorola ASTRO 25 system, you're seeing the behavior of a system at release 7.15 or older. The default BSI interval on one of the voice channels for ASTRO 25 systems prior to 7.16 was every 30 minutes. Keep in mind that 65536 is not an actual talkgroup, it's just a dummy ID that the author of Unitrunker gave to the BSI function many years ago. At no point does the system encode 65536 over the control channel to indicate BSI.

dlnorth

At your leisure if you're up for it. Would be nice to have a definitive location on where the site actually is, but obviously not critical. I did note in your original observation that you had 3-4 bars with the antenna off, presumably at the fire tower site? Perhaps you'll remain at 4-5 bars at the newer site.

I was near the new site, parked in the ATV parking lot. I didn't think the old site was still used anymore.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You're not likely to see a BSI on sites using NTIA frequencies, as there is no FCC call sign associated with those frequencies.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I was near the new site, parked in the ATV parking lot. I didn't think the old site was still used anymore.

The old site might actually still be an active Opensky Site. IDK, They are maintaining the old system for at least a year or 2, until everyone's on the new system.. There are other users of the old system still using it... Plus it's a backup for the new system, temporarily.

No BSI's on site 1.95 yet.

Many of these NTIA sites are actually sending a BSI of "NTIA" or none at all. At least on the PaStarNet P25 sites... (y)
Truce 1.65 (not an NTIA site) just started sending a BSI this week. It's been on air since October 2018.. So.. it may or may not as time goes by..

Last edited:

dlnorth

It is up to you, :unsure: It would be great to be 100% sure, but it doesn't affect the DB (aside from a county label & finely adjusted lat/long for the site). As I previously stated, It's just splitting hairs.. :) They still call it CUMB04.

It's the new site. I went to the old site and there doesn't appear to be any equipment installed there anymore, other than the old VHF antenna that has always been there. I was not able to RX the repeater output without my antenna from that location. The new site gave me 4-5 bars on the signal meter from Birch Run Road, just east of the tower, without an antenna.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
It's the new site. I went to the old site and there doesn't appear to be any equipment installed there anymore, other than the old VHF antenna that has always been there. I was not able to RX the repeater output without my antenna from that location. The new site gave me 4-5 bars on the signal meter from Birch Run Road, just east of the tower, without an antenna.
Thank You,
That would seem to end the speculation.. (y)

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
The old site might actually still be an active Opensky Site. IDK, They are maintaining the old system for at least a year or 2, until everyone's on the new system.. There are other users of the old system still using it...

The OpenSky maintenance contract ends June 30, 2021. Beyond that date, the system may or may not stay online depending on migration status of users and functional status of equipment. If the old system fails anywhere after that date, no work will be done to fix the failed sites. The sooner all users move off, the sooner the plugs will be pulled. Of course, that will be dictated by the budgeting and planning of each user agency.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Anyone hear about the p25 phase 2 system moving into Bradford or tioga county anytime soon
Not until 2020/2021. It's not clear how much of this thread you've read through, but hopefully you read enough to know that the PSP is fully encrypted on this system, and will never be monitorable.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

raven315

You would be the very first person to hear any clear PSP activity on the new STARNet P25 system. Are you sure that you're not confusing the two P25 systems? There is the new STARNet system which is primarily VHF with some 800 MHz sprinkled in, and there is the 700 MHz Air-to-Ground system.

PA Statewide Radio Network (PA-STARNet) P25 P2 system is what I have in my radio . My bcd436hp is clean with no Other systems in it but that one system with the Morgantown Site Programmed .
Morgantown (CHES01)Chester 856.5875 857.5875a 858.0625a 859.6375c

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
PA Statewide Radio Network (PA-STARNet) P25 P2 system is what I have in my radio . My bcd436hp is clean with no Other systems in it but that one system with the Morgantown Site Programmed .
Morgantown (CHES01)Chester 856.5875 857.5875a 858.0625a 859.6375c
Must be confusing PGC with PSP? :unsure:
10001-10223 = PSP (Possible exceptions 10078-10089)
12000-12057 = PGC

Last edited:

raven315

I highly doubt you're hearing PSP ops in the clear. Only activity I've heard in the clear thusfar on the Devault sites was from the Game Commission

Sounded like troop J embreeville or Avondale doing a traffic stop . next time I hear something ill make a recording of the transmissions . the Morgantown site is the only system site I have programmed in .