Pagefile. FAT 32 or NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Does it matter?

I want to use a thumb drive as the pagefile on my thinclient. It is currently formatted to FAT 32. Do I have to format it to NTFS in order for Windows XP to use it as a pagefile? Right now the role of the thumb drive is hosting torrents. If I have to format to NTFS I'll have to transfer the files to another thumb drive. So I anxiously await a response so that I can get a pagefile that works on the thin client. I keep running out of virtual memory since I also have a Teamspeak 3 server and a host of other stuff running on it.

Last edited:

CapStar362

why would you run PF on XP anyways, on a external drive? is the OS Drive too small for 2x to 4x your RAM number?

how much RAM and GB on the HDD?

im assuming you already have the procedural knowledge of setting up EXT PF on XP. but a USB is not going to be as fast unless its USB 2.0 or even better 3.0 with drivers and flash drive on a 3.0 Card.

if it were me, and i had the extra space on the HD id use it. USB should really be used for emergency PF

Last edited:

poltergeisty

Banned
Cap, the thinclient only has a 1 GB hard drive and with all the stuff I have running on it I am running out of virtual memory. I believe it's USB 2.0. At least the front ports where I have the USB stick plugged in is 2.0.

All I want to know is if I can use FAT 32 for a pagefile. If not I'll have to remove the files on the thumb drive and format.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Cap, the thinclient only has a 1 GB hard drive and with all the stuff I have running on it I am running out of virtual memory. I believe it's USB 2.0. At least the front ports where I have the USB stick plugged in is 2.0.

All I want to know is if I can use FAT 32 for a pagefile. If not I'll have to remove the files on the thumb drive and format.

Wouldn't it be easier and quicker just to try it than wait for a response?
AFAIK there is no reason why you can't use FAT32, XP supports it just fine, you can mix & match file systems.

Last edited:

poltergeisty

Banned
Well, I just tried it. I disabled the hard drive's page file keeping the USB stick's pagefile on set at 1024 MB and I rebooted. When I checked C drive it shrunk and now I'm left with 29 MB of HDD space despite the fact the page file on C is disabled. Don't think the USB stick is being used as I see no other files on there. :/

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Well, I just tried it. I disabled the hard drive's page file keeping the USB stick's pagefile on set at 1024 MB and I rebooted. When I checked C drive it shrunk and now I'm left with 29 MB of HDD space despite the fact the page file on C is disabled. Don't think the USB stick is being used as I see no other files on there. :/

Sounds like it's not set up right. The pagefile is a hidden system file, unless you have your settings set to view hidden and system you won't see it.

poltergeisty

Banned
I tried both FAT 32 and NTFS and it appears it's not working. The C drive shrunk so it ain't using the USB stick. Did some Googleing and will have to Google more tonight. Maybe there is a setting somewhere in the thin client where I have to change a setting, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.