• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Part 90 License Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjl13

QRT
Hey Radio Reference,

Soon I plan to get a commercial system(part 90) up and running, I am all set on the main part of the licensing but I am confused on the process of getting your license cleared for encryption(specially AES-256). If this information is needed, it will be a P25 UHF system running on a quantar.

Are there specific emission designators? Or is there a different process?

Regards,
Kyle

RFI-EMI-GUY

Hey Radio Reference,

Soon I plan to get a commercial system(part 90) up and running, I am all set on the main part of the licensing but I am confused on the process of getting your license cleared for encryption(specially AES-256). If this information is needed, it will be a P25 UHF system running on a quantar.

Are there specific emission designators? Or is there a different process?

Regards,
Kyle
If you are using P25 or DMR simply use those emission designators. There is no special coordination or FCC notification for the encryption.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RRR

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Right, nothing special you need to do about encryption. FCC doesn't track that.

Only thing you need to do is make sure your repeater is set up to beacon out your FCC issued call sign in the clear. The Quantar will do that.

kjl13

QRT
If you are using P25 or DMR simply use those emission designators. There is no special coordination or FCC notification for the encryption.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Alright thanks, that’s what I thought.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kjl13

QRT
Right, nothing special you need to do about encryption. FCC doesn't track that.

Only thing you need to do is make sure your repeater is set up to beacon out your FCC issued call sign in the clear. The Quantar will do that.

Ok.

I was planning on saying the callsign and other info manually daily as well.

Thanks, gladly appreciated.

kjl13

QRT
Won't hurt to do that, but sort of pointless if you are running full time encryption. Just set up the Quantar to CW ID it every 15 minutes.

Was going to do something like that as well. Good point though.

Thanks.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Does this go the same for government agency licenses?

Depends on what you mean by "government".

Federal stuff is under the NTIA rules, not the FCC.
State, County, City, etc. are under FCC.

FCC rules for Part 90 says that identification must be made every 15 minutes. Public safety users can ID every 30 minutes.
eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations
The base station/repeater can do the ID'ing for the mobiles/portables. Often you'll hear dispatchers still toss out the call sign in some cases. Usually most repeaters are programmed to do it. It's often sent without a PL/DPL tone, so users don't have to listen to it.

Federal stuff, for the most part, has to do it at least once each hour when in use. The base station can ID for all the mobiles/portables.

kjl13

QRT
It is a local government agency, thanks for the info.

But I was asking about encryption if you need to change anything on your license.

Status
Not open for further replies.