Pasco County (EDACS and 00A.927F9)

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Ever notice that news being reported out of Pasco is much less now, probably what they want….
Pasco viewers call us to complain ALL THE TIME about how bad the news coverage is up there. Well, unfortunately we can't inquire about incidents we don't know about. We also can't chase every random "police presence" tip we get.

Back in the day we could call up the dispatch supervisor every couple hours to check-in. The PIO's put a stop to that and we're not allowed to call anyone after hours unless we know what we're inquiring about meets THEIR breaking news criteria.

How is that supposed to happen when we can't hear anything?

About the only thing we get in a timely manner is body cam video that puts the sheriff's office in a positive light and occasional missing people reports. Your weekend homicides won't get a mention until Monday morning.

News deserts are real and Pasco County is becoming one.

zlandmedia

not that florida man
When Pasco began encrypting their radios, it was at the same time they first started to appear on Live PD. Nocco signed on with them on the premise of "transparency" but they were only on the show for about a year and a half. Since then, the county has been anything but transparent and even Nocco has disappeared off of press conferences in recent years.

There was a point in time where you'd see him on TV more than Chronister, but now it's the other way around.

Ryanwatern

Pasco viewers call us to complain ALL THE TIME about how bad the news coverage is up there. Well, unfortunately we can't inquire about incidents we don't know about. We also can't chase every random "police presence" tip we get.

Back in the day we could call up the dispatch supervisor every couple hours to check-in. The PIO's put a stop to that and we're not allowed to call anyone after hours unless we know what we're inquiring about meets THEIR breaking news criteria.

About the only thing we get in a timely manner is body cam video that puts the sheriff's office in a positive light and occasional missing people reports. Your weekend homicides won't get a mention until Monday morning.

Hopefully people vote nocco out, someone is finally running against him this year, and I talked to the person running, and he seem like a genuine person who wants a positive change. Name is ron holstein and as of now he is the only one running for sheriff in Pasco, I spoke to him and he said that he wants more transparency and how he would reinstate the active call log that the current sheriff took down and also clean up the homeless camps, reinstate the traffic unit and all that. Genuine guy, not politician, like the current sheriff, who was appointed by the governor and ran unopposed the last two elections… In my opinion he is the only hope for transparency for the next 4 years…

ngel

@tampabaynews Do you know if any news agencies received radio’s to monitor the calls? I’m gonna assume not due to the lack of news coming out of Pasco on local media. I contacted all local news agencies when it became known Pasco was going to encrypt everything but none of them seem to care then.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
@tampabaynews Do you know if any news agencies received radio’s to monitor the calls? I’m gonna assume not due to the lack of news coming out of Pasco on local media. I contacted all local news agencies when it became known Pasco was going to encrypt everything but none of them seem to care then.
None. I inquired on behalf of my station back then and Pasco County system admin said they won’t be providing radios for any news media, even if we paid for the cost of them.

I would say the lack of push back by the media isn’t for a lack of caring, it’s for a lack of understanding what the implications are and lack of technically oriented people. Most people in my industry, even those who sit at the desk and monitor the scanners, don’t even know how they work. They couldn’t even tell you what P25 is.

Years ago when I was freelance I would work on the scanners for most of the stations here. One of them complained about not behind able to hear Tampa PD anymore…. SEVEN MONTHS after they left conventional for EDACS.

jhouse55

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your detailed info @tampabaynews, I used to program all the scanners for customers at my Dad’s electronic shop in Pasco up until a the upgrade took place. Still listen to Hernando but see they are on schedule to move to Enc also. I check back in here every now and then and after reading your post, looks like the only hope we have is that new sheriff.
I definitely understand the concept of the safety of our officers, however the current one has really shown itself over this last term.

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
Since we did not have a master thread for Pasco County, I have created one using this thread as the start. Please keep all Pasco County EDACS and P25 discussions in this common thread.

Happy New Year!

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
The pd & FD been encrypted for a few years, I don’t know why encryption on school buses & FD, it makes no sensex
Pasco is not the only county, out in the east coast St Lucie county and Martin county are full encryption of FD & Sheriff. Indian river county which is what I monitor when Im there visiting my mom has only all The law enforcement agencie encrypte, fd is clear, sheriff flowers said it was for officer safety but set up a feed with a 30 minute delay.

Theo

Premium Subscriber

Not for nothing your a news agency you have some pull with politicians get them to write some legislation to make them open the dispatch channels! They did that in California and all ENC was dropped. All their excuses are BS.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
That's overkill for Pasco County. If the fire dispatch CAD still exists, it would be on the EDACS system. Otherwise, every other thing is encrypted.
I listen to the actual computer voice disp. on EDACS not on the CAD. Plus Pasco P25 Ph2 FD Tac channels are open on one of the conversation.
also All of Hillsborough P25 Ph2.

zlandmedia

not that florida man
CAD is the computer voice dispatch. Nothing in Pasco (except for the CAD dispatch, and that's only on the EDACS system) is in the clear. Unless you have a radio that has the keys to the system, then it's impossible to hear any communication on the Pasco system.

Hillsborough has its own thread (and no, it's not all Phase 2). The user you quoted was specifically asking about Pasco.

Ryanwatern

Thank you, I just got a BCT15X just for automated dispatch and it works great, got it because they decided that PulsePoint I guess was too much for the public and how it was causing “safety issues”. Been told multiple times they’re still “fixing” pulsepoint, they keep extending this so-called date when it’s going to be fixed and now I’m not even getting a response so its just a mystery. But yes, the BCT15X works great, didn’t really see the point of getting a P25 radio that’s extremely expensive when I find this one for a little over $100 as everything or almost everything that’s P25 in Pasco is encrypted.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
CAD is the computer voice dispatch. Nothing in Pasco (except for the CAD dispatch, and that's only on the EDACS system) is in the clear. Unless you have a radio that has the keys to the system, then it's impossible to hear any communication on the Pasco system.

Hillsborough has its own thread (and no, it's not all Phase 2). The user you quoted was specifically asking about Pasco.
Excuse me I didn't you were the Admin for this group. I know exactly what I'm doing.