• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Passionate users beg for Windows XP over Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortwavewave

I wish, I have 7 programs that windows vista wont even touch, I HATE IT!!!!!

Windows Xp pro will always be the best in my eyes, have never had a problem from day one.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Shortwavewave said:
I wish, I have 7 programs that windows vista wont even touch, I HATE IT!!!!!

Windows Xp pro will always be the best in my eyes, have never had a problem from day one.
You can still purchase, and install XP if you want.

Shortwavewave

I know you still can, at the moment

But I dont understand why Microsoft wont keep somthing that everyone/ or alot of people like.

It may not be the exact same thing, but what if Ford just shut down one day, there would be alot of pissed off people right?

jb872033

Vista is Windows pot-shot at Mac...I will not get all high and mighty about mac as i dont like them all that much but thats about what it amounts to hence the enhance GUI etc. they are trying to be like mac...

JB

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Shortwavewave said:
I know you still can, at the moment

But I dont understand why Microsoft wont keep somthing that everyone/ or alot of people like.

It may not be the exact same thing, but what if Ford just shut down one day, there would be alot of pissed off people right?
That's how Microsoft makes money. If they stopped with XP, they could not maintain their empire!

Ford keeps changing their products. You can not buy a brand new 65 Mustang today. I wished I could. The cars they make today are not that great either.

car2back

Good comparison! :D

My laptop has vista, and my desktop still has XP (with an xoblite shell) for gaming and to run programs that aren't Vista compliant.

xpawel15x

Software produced from now on will be Vista compatible... I remember when XP was new, same thing, nothing would work...it's a matter of time before everything is Vista compatible.

rabidjade

jb872033 said:
Vista is Windows pot-shot at Mac...I will not get all high and mighty about mac as i dont like them all that much but thats about what it amounts to hence the enhance GUI etc. they are trying to be like mac...

JB
I wouldn't consider the Mac GUI to be anything like the Vista GUI. The fancy transparent windows and fade effects might resemble OSX but to say the GUI is copying OSX is simply false. Add in the dock and they would have me wondering.

As for the anti-Vista crying, we saw the same thing when XP and Win2000 came out. Both wouldn't run a lot of DOS based programs (still popular at the time) or programs reliant on the 95/98/ME kernel. Sometimes computer software has to look forward rather than sacrificing the greater good so someone can play with their obsolete or outdated software. Why you see the crying more than then is the fact we more widely access to the internet and society is developing into complainers when they don't understand something 100%.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

jb872033

I wasnt saying that they were the same it just seems that they are trying to emulate Mac...In the sense that it is more GUI based than menu based...im not sayin that i like it or not i am just saying that it seems that it is what they are trying to do...

JB

Shortwavewave

Im not crying, I never complained when XP came out, in fact I never heard one person complain about Xp when it came out yeah it had some problems, but it can do anything you can throw at it, unlike vista that crashes when you even atempt to run a DOS program.

Plus theres things that can be done with windows 98 that vista will never dream of doing.

Show me one advantage Vista has over XP? other than GUI, whipdy freaggin do

rabidjade

Shortwavewave said:
Im not crying, I never complained when XP came out, in fact I never heard one person complain about Xp when it came out yeah it had some problems, but it can do anything you can throw at it, unlike vista that crashes when you even atempt to run a DOS program.

Plus theres things that can be done with windows 98 that vista will never dream of doing.

Show me one advantage Vista has over XP? other than GUI, whipdy freaggin do
There is more to it that the "GUI" but I'm not going to waste my time explaining them since you are so hell bent on hating Vista.

Last edited:

mikepdx

Passionate users beg for Windows XP over Vista
Mr. Gates' wildest dreams have been realized.
Computer users are BEGGING.

I'm sure he'll throw them a bone for a few C-notes.

Last edited:

Thayne

Premium Subscriber
He doesn't look like he is a bone thrower; but with his dough he could buy a lot of bonin' :twisted:

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Service Pack 3 release details revealed

Report: XP SP3 Coming April 21 for OEMs, MSDN/TechNet Subscribers

Service Pack 3 release details revealed.

With Windows Vista taking quite a bit of heat from customers and pundits around the web, many people have looked to its elder brother -- Windows XP -- for solace. The nearly seven-year-old operating system still soldiers on for many and is seen as a relatively "lightweight" and better-performing alternative to Windows Vista.

However, with Windows XP showing more than a few gray whiskers in its beard, it's important to at least keep the operating system somewhat relevant in today's world. Service Pack 3 (SP3) promises to give Windows XP a nice caffeine boost to allow it to stay fresh for at least a few more years.

As DailyTech previously reported, SP3 contains nearly 1,100 hotfixes and patches. In addition, SP3 provides new features to the operating system including a new activation process, Network Access Protection Module, Black Hole Router Detection, and Microsoft's Kernel Mode Cryptographics Module.

Microsoft began pushing out betas of SP3 in August 2007 and released a Release Candidate (RC) version to the public in early December. The last public release came earlier this year with a SP3 RC2.

Today, however, Neowin was able to get the release schedule for the Release to Manufacturer (RTM) version of Windows XP SP3. According to Neowin, OEMs, Volume License customers, Windows Connect users and MSDN/TechNet subscribers will have access to SP3 on April 21. The public will have to wait until April 29 to access SP3 via Windows Update and Microsoft's Download Center.

Microsoft will not push SP3 via Automatic Updates until June 10 which should give IT managers enough time to work with the service pack should things go awry.

The news of the SP3 release schedule comes just weeks after Microsoft gave Windows XP a 2+ year extension on life. Microsoft initially set the end-of-sale date for Windows XP for January 31, 2008 but later revised the date to June 30, 2008.

Mounting pressure due to the increasing sales of low-cost computers forced Microsoft to further push the end-of-sale date to June 30, 2010 or one year after the release of the next version of Windows; whichever is later.

http://www.dailytech.com/Report+XP+SP3+Coming+April+21+for+OEMs+MSDNTechNet+Subscribers/article11496.htm

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
There is much more to Vista than the GUI. The higher-end versions and 64bit versions are rather amazing and capable operating systems. Many people buy the home or basic versions and get what ammounts to a dressed-up XP with Mac-envy.

What this shows is that the only thing that microsoft really screwed up was the marketing of the OS. People do not buy their OS in different tiers or levels. There should be a home and pro version period. And both versions need to have full features enabled and they should not be dependent on subscription or usage based fees as many of the more advanced Vista stuff is. Microsoft has been pushing this .Net thing down consumers throats when the businesses dont even really "get" what is going on. They cannot change how people buy operating systems or how they use them.

The full blown 64bit vistas that have the seperate openGL stuff can operate in almost a 3 dimensional operating system and really blow away anything out there. But then again, the limitation is people dont usually have this version because it costs a fortune and there are few video cards and processesors that are fully compatible with it.

Needing 2GB or ram to run it was because MS assumed somewhat correctly that most systems would have AT LEAST 2-4GB on even low end systems and MS wanted to ensure that even a slow system with the basic vista would support the higher versions even without the added 3D element.

They will get it right eventually. Its only a year and a half old or so. XP took at least that long to get running good. But it is true, that XP was their most stable to date. Win98 Ver.b wasnt that bad either. Win95/Win98 Ver.a/WinME and even to an extent Win2000 were real stinkers.

My mom has had a Dell XPS with Vista 64bit and 4GB ram on it for over a year now. I've only had to go over there once to bail her out once when the printer drivers auto-updated and the thing forgot how to print. The funny thing is that I am a wiz with any previous MS OS, but I feel like i'm trying to troubleshoot some goofy apple OS when I'm using her system. Things just aint where god intended them to be! "WHERE THE HECK IS THE "FILE" MENU?" ;)

I'm halfway intersted in a good stable linux as my personal laptop is used for nothing but Opera/Adobe reader/ the occasional DVD movie/ and lots of pictures of b00bies and beaver. My work laptop is 100% excel and oracle. Thats never changing from XP pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.