Password in Sentinel / SDS 100/200

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I see there is a place to check for "password", but I can't find anywhere to put a password in. Also, when I checked "password", I programmed my SDS, and it was locked, and I had to re-program it without "password" checked, in order to use it again.

So, what am I doing wrong?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for how to set the "password" function on my SDS series scanners. I see it in Sentinel, and when I checked it, and programmed my scanner, I was basically locked out. I had to re-program the scanner to use it again.

I can't locate anywhere to put in the password, or how to unlock it once a password is set.

Can anyone help me with this please?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
ooops, I posted twice, I couldn't find this post, I thought it didn't go through. Please delete this one!

rcool101

Feed Provider
Password for Sentinel? Never seen one before. Been using Sentinel (both versions) since HP-1 was new.
Edit:...Are you talking about Radio Reference download page?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I am looking for how to set the "password" function on my SDS series scanners. I see it in Sentinel, and when I checked it, and programmed my scanner, I was basically locked out. I had to re-program the scanner to use it again.

I can't locate anywhere to put in the password, or how to unlock it once a password is set.

Can anyone help me with this please?

Where are you seeing a password function in Sentinel? Can you post a screen pic of it?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Pretty sure there isn't a password. I think the OP is thinking of some other software or scanner.

dfw1193

I have read somewhere that the unit can be locked out to prevent user changes once programmed, it may have been in the proscan or arc software manuals, or maybe my bcd325p2 manual I haven't tried to track it down since reading it, but thought it was a nice feature.

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
The OP is talking about the "Key Safe" mode in previous scanner models, like the BCD996/396/15X, etc. radios. It was a setting that would essentially lock the programming in the scanner so a user couldn't easily change it. You could enable/disable it by pressing and holding the "Func" key while turning the scanner on. You then either answered Yes or No to the question on the screen.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
The OP is talking about the "Key Safe" mode in previous scanner models, like the BCD996/396/15X, etc. radios. It was a setting that would essentially lock the programming in the scanner so a user couldn't easily change it. You could enable/disable it by pressing and holding the "Func" key while turning the scanner on. You then either answered Yes or No to the question on the screen.

Although the OP said he is seeing it in Sentinel - which does not apply to those other scanners, and he is specifically referring to the SDS scanners by model.

Hopefully, he will post again to help clear up the mystery.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'd kinda like to see a screen capture of what the OP is seeing. I just wonder if he hasn't got some kind of virus in his computer that does a popup window when new software is started, just to see if a password would be revealed.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I see there is a place to check for "password", but I can't find anywhere to put a password in. Also, when I checked "password", I programmed my SDS, and it was locked, and I had to re-program it without "password" checked, in order to use it again.

So, what am I doing wrong?

A possible scenario if you are actually programming an SDS scanner with the Sentinel software...…..

You probably have Sentinel set to the wrong target model (BCDx36HP). From the top Sentinel toolbar click on "Tools", then "Target Model", then select your scanner.

What you are seeing with the Sentinel target model incorrectly set to BCDx36HP is the Keypad Lock function used only for the BCD436HP scanner (look up at the top of that section where the check box is and you will see the text - "Options for BCD436HP Only"). Also, there is no password used for that function, and there is no mention of the word "password" associated with that checkbox in Sentinel... hence the confusion from your post.

On the BCD436HP keypad, you press the function button, then the power on/off button to toggle the keypad lock on or off (again, no password used). This does not apply to the SDS scanners, and does not function on those scanners. You may be able to set the keypad lock function on or off on your SDS scanner using the incorrect target model in Sentinel, but since the SDS models do not fully support that function, you can not lock or unlock it from the SDS keypad.

When you have the Sentinel target model correctly set for your SDS scanner, that keypad lock checkbox is not available in the software settings.

Check it out and let us know.

Reactions: RRR

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry, been very busy, and just got a chance to jump back in... That was it, the "Target model" was incorrectly set, and it had locked my SDS. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.