PAX River low level flights

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc8iqz

My WV community received a letter from the PIO for Pax River NAS indicating they will begin (again) low level flights over the eastern panhandle of WV. They will likely again use P-3's. However, scanning the military air band as well as the commercial flight controllers yields no contact. I also could not get them on my piaware ADS/B. Any suggestions?

Gary KC8IQZ

BM82557

My WV community received a letter from the PIO for Pax River NAS indicating they will begin (again) low level flights over the eastern panhandle of WV. They will likely again use P-3's. However, scanning the military air band as well as the commercial flight controllers yields no contact. I also could not get them on my piaware ADS/B. Any suggestions?

Gary KC8IQZ

Depending on your location in WV you may not pick them up. The P-3 flights are in support of work being done by the Sierra Nevada Corporation facility at the Hagerstown Regional Airport (KHGR) located near Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland. The tracks the P-3's fly, at least in the last several years, are from roughly Martinsburg WV to Chambersburg PA. Typically they arrive in the 8:30 - 9:00 pm local timeframe and depart for PAX usually around 03:00 - 04:00 local but have on occasion stayed until 06:00 local. I believe I have had them on 134.1500 (ZDC Sector 6 Hagerstown Low) enroute from PAX to the local area. They show up on my ADS-B setup.

Oops! Looks like your location is one of the local area zip codes. They are certainly not chatterboxes but do check in with ZDC arriving/departing the area

freqhopping

Some of P-3s are not transmitting mode-s at all, so there won't be any sign of them except ATC comms, visually or hearing the actual plane above.

kc8iqz

Depending on your location in WV you may not pick them up. The P-3 flights are in support of work being done by the Sierra Nevada Corporation facility at the Hagerstown Regional Airport (KHGR) located near Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland. The tracks the P-3's fly, at least in the last several years, are from roughly Martinsburg WV to Chambersburg PA. Typically they arrive in the 8:30 - 9:00 pm local timeframe and depart for PAX usually around 03:00 - 04:00 local but have on occasion stayed until 06:00 local. I believe I have had them on 134.1500 (ZDC Sector 6 Hagerstown Low) enroute from PAX to the local area. They show up on my ADS-B setup.

Oops! Looks like your location is one of the local area zip codes. They are certainly not chatterboxes but do check in with ZDC arriving/departing the area
===========
Hey, thanks for the response and ideas. Actually, the residents have been pretty upset because it seems to be following a loop path that brings is over our neighborhood about every 20-30 minutes. The other problem is that sometimes they have been flying around 0300 to 0500 causing letters/emails to go to the PIO. Would they be visible with ADS/B? I have a piaware setup that I need to resurrect.

My Grid square is FM09xn

Gary KC8IQZ

BM82557

As Travis mentioned in post #4 above not all of them transmit mode-s but those that do show up in my ads-b machine and on adsbexchange.

kc8iqz

As Travis mentioned in post #4 above not all of them transmit mode-s but those that do show up in my ads-b machine and on adsbexchange.

Thanks. Where is Berk Co are you located? I live in the Woods subdivision west of Hedgesville and close to the Morgan Co line.

Gary KC8IQZ

kc8iqz

I can hear it above me right now by my regular flightaware feed shows nothing. I have not gotten my piaware hooked up. crap.

kc8iqz

And again...seems like it's on a 14-15 loop. I must get my system up. I'm blind with just the net interface to flightaware.com

Status
Not open for further replies.