pc ACARS--hope u got puter skillz

Status
Not open for further replies.

screenersam

I hate motrbro
saw another poster mention he had a pc program for acars but couldn't get it to work. I figured I'd try it out.
Got the ACARSD program loaded. unzip/opened, it gave me the black box (dos prompt?). I typed in \C:ACARSD\ and it loaded correctly but I was never able to get it to work. I got the screen but nothing would happen.
Did a google for 'user friendly acars program' and found something called kgacars. downloaded, took home and unzipped. The program is done by a guy in Tokyo so there are translation problems.
Ended up getting it on screen, even got an icon set for easy startup.
The home screen showed a map of Asia. I was able to move the map to the Merryland area. hooked the scanner up; I decided to scan the acars freqs (a mistake, see below).
half hour later, nothing. I fiddled with scanner / sound settings. nothing on screen.
I started fiddling with the icons on top. first one was a log; I had six hits and didn't know it! the info logged but nothing on the map. I spent another half hour trying to recreate my settings.
I ended up starting over. The scanner I put on 136.65 and hold, but didn't break squelch (most instrux say keep squelch on but I think the noise was messing up the decoding). (I'm told 131.55 is the alpha freq for NAmerica but I got more hits on 136.65.)
I fiddled with sound/connection finally had some success. I went back and looked over the instructions; since the program is Japan-centered some airlines won't decode.
I'm still figuring out but at least I'm having some success. Too bad scanning is so computer-heavy these days. (I never got my edacs provoice dsd running either).
anyone familiar wi kgacars? I would like to get the map hits.

Last edited:

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
You can also try PDW. Although you have to tune the audio just right, It has no map. Would love to know of an ACARS program coded in English that had a map. It was pretty boring so I stopped doing it.

I just started using DSD+ and it decodes 50% of the time on a Dell mini 910. I gave up on that too. :lol:I wanted my other laptop to do the decoding, but I think its a simplex audio card and I couldn't hear the audio output from DSD+ over the speakers. Only works on the mini 9.

http://www.discriminator.nl/pdw/index-en.html

ACARS - The RadioReference Wiki

Known ACARS frequencies - acarsd ACARS Decoder for Linux and Windows

majoco

Stirrer
ACARSD works fine for me although I haven't played with it for a while. I found for best results you should take the audio signal from the detector (Google for 'discriminator tap') and keep the scanner unsquelched. A connection across the volume control works OK too. There is a level indicator at the bottom of the screen, keep your windows line input gain so the the level indicator goes to about 20. I don't know why you didn't get any signals in 131.55MHz, it's the worldwide frequency - plenty of signals here. Never tried the map but had great success with HFDL and Google Earth maps.

wkm

Did you cut and paste the plugin files from the zip folder to the new directory file? Did you create the new .ini file with the installer program? Once that is done it should work. Just click the .exe file in the new direct. Not the win 95 one unless that is what you are running.

Status
Not open for further replies.