PC-ALE Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwerty7

I enjoy listening to ALE signals on the USAF HF-GCS.
I use PC-ALE to decode and have some questions about it.

1- When I receive my first hit the ALE Mode changes from ALTERNATE to NORMAL.
I have read that it should change to SYNCHED.

2- The program fails to stop scanning upon receiving an active frequency causing me to miss transmissions. Is this due to a low signal strength ?

I am looking forward to the new version of PC-ALE which is now in the Beta phase of development.

Thanks,

Mary
SF Bay Area

Qwerty7

Thanks anyway....

Never mind.....as usual I have obtained the information on my own.

mm

CSL126

I never got PC-ALE to work, it never would decode any ALE transmissions. Is it ok to use the headphone output of the reciever? Or are you guys using something else?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes, that will work - altho I've used the line out of my RX320 and that works just fine. Perhaps it's a soundcard issue? Some utilities are finicky when it comes to that.

When it comes to PC-ALE, there are 2 sources of information - the HFLink and the UDXF (Utility DXers Forum - replaced the venerable Worlwide Ute News group) Yahoo groups both have large numbers of folks using ALE utilities. It's a rather specialized mode, and it doesn't surprise me that there weren't a lot of threads answering Mary's original question.

73s Mike

Qwerty7

PC-ALE Follow up...

I was able to get the information I needed from the following site I think other PC-ALE
monitors will find valuable..

n2ck.com/MARS_ALE_FORUM

Lots and lots of good info.

Regards,

mm

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I get a not found when I try to connect to it - the server is down, perhaps?

73s Mike

gcgrotz

jay427 said:
ok I give up, whats "PC-ALE"?

short version will be fine.

thanks

Jay

I can't resist...

"Its like PC-BEER only lighter"

But seriously, has anyone used "SkySweep" software?

I bought it recently, haven't had time to play with it much but I have decoded PSK31 and RTTY (whohoo) and some CW although it seems to have a hard time with CW, I can copy better in my head.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That's not surprising; software will always have some problems with different CW fists, machine speeds and so on.

Skysweeper is used by more than a few folks on the Utility DXers Forum at Yahoo, and they have their own Yahoo group as well. It certainly has its own following, for sure. 73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.