PC connections...

Status
Not open for further replies.

eecame

So, I ordered the BC246t and was going to get the additional USB cable to go with the in-the-box serial cable but thought that my laptop had a serial port so I didn't bother (to check the LT or order the cable). Well, as it turns out my LT doesn't have a serial port and I don't want to wait for another shipment.

So, is there a reason I can't just grab a 4 pin USB device cable from Best Buy? Why does it have to be bought from uniden?

Has anyone tried using a standard USB cable that can share their experience? Or know why it doesn't work it that's the case?

Thanks!

Viper43

The Uniden cable is specifically for the scanners. Pins could be different. And as alluded to a serial adapter such as the AirLink works great, and it uses the Prolific drivers

V

eecame

The tech specs say imply, 4 pin USB... that's standard USB-1 compliant. What makes the uniden/scanners-in-general different than other USB devices?

n2mdk

The scanner isn't a USB device it's a serial one the connection isn't a usb port it's a serial port. Just buy a USB to Serial adapter as stated in the other postings.
As you can see in this picture the top is the Uniden connection the lower is a mini USB B

Last edited:

xm15e2s

I had the same dilemma and decided to go with the USB/serial adapter. I got mine from Radioshack for $30. Works like a charm.

eecame

Yeah, the top plug is a USB-1 device connection. Many of the first USB printers and camera's have that square USB socket, many new ones as well. The flat connector is the standard PC side connection.

ah, well. I'll do some experimenting myself and see why it does or doesn't work.

Last edited:

n2mdk

eecame said:
Yeah, the top plug is a USB-1 device connection. Many of the first USB printers and camera's have that square USB socket, many new ones as well. The flat connector is the standard PC side connection.

No the bottom is a USB mini B connector the standard USB A on a computer is much bigger,and has 2 slots on both the top and bottom of the connector. The photo is a macro and an enlargement. Believe what you want to I know what I took the picture of.

OK look at this Uniden top, USB A middle, USB mini B bottom.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The scanner itself is not USB. Just like GRE's the scanner is serial. To get to USB you must use a cable that has a USB-serial converter built into it (like the USB-1) or use a general-purpose USB-RS232 adapter. While adapters other than the USB-1 work, since they all have different driver setups, troubleshooting methods, etc, Uniden only supports the USB-1. i.e. This does mean that other adapters won't work. It means that if you call in with a USB adapter issue, we cannot support you with that unless you have a USB-1. If you have a different brand adapter, you need to contact that company for support for that adapter.

Viper43

lol, I already tried plugging the 396 into my Olympus recorder..... same serial connector, only difference is it plugs directly to a USB port.

Status
Not open for further replies.